UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Here's an interesting read about how safe your duster may be !

http://www.euroncap.com/results/dacia/duster/2011/421.aspx

Don't look too good to me !
It depends what your looking at ...

The main reason that the Duster has a 3 star-rating is because the basic Model does not have ESC and because of that it was given a 3 for this section and because that is the lowest score for the rating it is given the low over all score. If the Duster had ESC as standard it would be getting a 4 but would technically be closer to a 5.

However if you compare it to a Nissan Qashqui (which is the safety leader in this class) only for the ESC score there is very little difference.

The Duster has just as effective Adult and Child safety as the Qashqui.

Very few of these cars have any decent protection for Pedestrian safety due to their height in comparison to normal cars and I think is discounted anyway for the star rating.

The last thing I'd mention is that ESC is mainly used for correcting Skids. I have been driving for circa 25years now and have never had ESC on a car that I have owned and have never had to correct a skid in normal driving conditions. Obviously it could happen and touch wood it never does but the Duster lends itself to a relaxed driving style anyway as it is not built to take corners at speed. More over it may depend on your location as to whether ESC is a logical requirement but for me we don't get icy conditions regular enough to worry about such conditions and as such for me personally ESC is of no major benefit and the lack of it does not suddenly make this a dangerous car.

I have looked at this and weighed up the pros and cons and the main con that people seem to bring up is the lack of ESC but the majority of main stream cars probably did not even have this as standard five years ago.

In Ireland we are at an all time low with road fatalities and it is more down to peoples attitudes in driving rather that the spec of car they have. The Government have pumped millions into Road education and it has paid off. Drive beyond your and your car's capabilities and the lack of ESC is the least of your worries.

That is why I for one am not perturbed by the lack of ESC.

At the end of the day though it is a judgement call and what you are most comfortable with.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I've been looking at this ESC thing as everyone is saying that a modern car should have it, and because the Duster is being rubbished because of it's safety ratings. Indeed researching it further does seem to reveal that it does work in a swerve scenario. Having bought many extras on my Duster I was starting to feel guilty at not buying ESC. However, like irishwhiskeychaser I have owned and driven many cars and vans without ESC and still lived to tell the tale. I also have a little old runabout which I have used to cut down on fuel costs, and I don't think of it as a death-trap because it doesn't have ESC (its got more serious issues than that!). I also believe that the Duster's ESC isn't quite a 'full' ESC. I think sometimes we read too much information and get too caught up in reviews sometimes. Overall I believe that my new 4x4 Duster will be safer on snowy, icy, muddy farm lanes where I live than my heavy old rear-wheel drive estate, so I am not bothered by ESC. After all, it's my fault if I don't buy it, but it is an option for anyone to add.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I have been driving for more than 40 years.. Have been lucky enough to have owned in excess of 30 cars of which 10 have been new.. Only my last two cars had ESC - they were used - I have never had any kind of stability device fitted on any of the others... I don't know if its me or it seems to me that either there is a conspiracy by manufacturers of these devices who have their own interests at heart... To create this bizarre situation of ow can we possibly do without x, y or z.. It's like the modern driver has forgotten how to drive or they have been brainwashed into believing that one can't possibly drive safely without all this electronic wizardry...

I honestly believe that rather than making driving safer, all these new tech wiz stuff creates a false sense of safety to the extent that people may actually drive in a more aggressive manner as subconsciously they believe the wizardry will compensate for the bad driving techniques. An make them a better driver... So contrary to what we are led to believe I think that all this stuff actually works in opposition to what it's intended purpose is... I think that the gadgetry...crossing centre line warning, ESC..blah,blah,blah...is not essential...if people Focus on better driving techniques.

·
Registered
43 Posts
in 99 % of cases , mechanical engineering is more important than electronic one. esc will not increase the structural rigidity of the cabin. to rate the car 3 stars because of the lack of esc as standard is stupid.

if you take a 1970 s mercedes cobra and do the same test the wall would have shattered because the car is a tank. or my old opel omega witch weighted 2.3 tonnes. there was no need for esc at all. at the time of the front end collision with a NEW chevrolet aveo I won , and badly. and the aveo had all the electronics , my had NONE.

in a case of accident (God forbid) it s weight of the vehicle and the structural integrity of the cabin + airbags. anything else is just something to help you not crash in the first place.

·
Registered
571 Posts
To the car pundits who are slating Dacia Dusters because it doesn't have ESC as standard, yes we know its not an Audi, BMW, Volvo, Ford, Mercedes and the entry level doesn't even come with a radio or alloy wheels or the electronic wizardry.. But then if it did it wouldn't start at under £9K. The other thing NCAP picked up on ( and marked it down one star) is the fact that if drivers of Dusters are unfortunate to be involved in a collision with a pedestrian then the pedestrian is not as we'll protected... So here's a question. How well do pedestrians fare with an encounter with a van or a lorry, better or worse.. And I don't know, but are vans and lorries fitted with ESC as standard (there are a lot more of those on the road than Dusters) rant over :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
ncap is just a marketing agency. I would like to see how a 5 star touareg will handle pedestrians :))

I say that these test should be based only on structural integrity of the car and airbag protection. the stuff that matters in an accident. because esc does not do nothing when colliding with a wall.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Funnily enough I had a few comments about the whole 3 star Ncap rating and actually if you delve a little deeper it's not as bad as people would imagine. In fact I'm pretty sure a lot of cars that got a 5 star rating 5+ years ago probably wouldn't now.

I do like the amount of common sense on here though, as said these safety devices do shelter people from the realities of driving. There should be more concentration on making people better drivers rather than giving this attitude of 'Don't worry your car is safer'.

I've been driving 13 years and I can't even remember an ocassion where I've felt the ABS kick in other than over a wet drain cover or when I've done a moving brake test in an icy car park. I've also had a few quick, modern cars and again no ABS kick in or a need for ESC over the mechanical grip of the chassis.

That said for the cost of the option on top of the car and the fact that my other half will be driving it a lot with a new born, we went for ESC. Just on the grounds of thinking I'd rather have it and not rely in it than not have it and feel it would have been safer.

I remember raising an idea on a forum some years ago that if all steering wheels had a 2ft spike aimed at the driver there'd be a hell of a lot less accidents. Some people just didn't get that concept haha.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've been considering buying a Duster (1.5 diesel Laureate WITH ESC), however I have concerns about safety and the opinions above have not done much to allay them. I've checked the NCAP report for the Duster and it appears that the 3-star rating is not solely due to the lack of ESC technology as an option on the entry-level model. Adult occupant protection of chest is MARGINAL for both driver and passenger in frontal impact and WEAK in side impact pole. Rear impact (whiplash) [which according to research published in the scientific journal Traffic Injury Prevention constitutes the 'vast majority of injuries leading to permanent medical impairment'] is rated as MARGINAL in the Duster. By contrast, adult occupant chest protection is rated as GOOD in the Skoda Yeti and KIA Sportage and ADEQUATE in the Nissan Qashqai while whiplash protection is rated as GOOD in all three of these cars. In addition, independent research has shown that there is significant correlation between a car's NCAP star rating and the real-world crash data. (References available on request).

Please don't get me wrong. I'm not here to bash the Duster or promote any other car. In fact, I'm pretty disappointed because a Duster would suit me far better than a Yeti or a Sportage as I consider these to be mainly city cars whereas the Duster appears to offer an extremely desirable combination between price, off-road capabilities (even for the 2WD model -- certainly superior to the others) and performance. However, until someone shows me that the 3-star rating of the Duster can be SAFELY disregarded, I'll think twice about buying one.

·
Archived Member
372 Posts
I've been considering buying a Duster (1.5 diesel Laureate WITH ESC), however I have concerns about safety and the opinions above have not done much to allay them. I've checked the NCAP report for the Duster and it appears that the 3-star rating is not solely due to the lack of ESC technology as an option on the entry-level model. Adult occupant protection of chest is MARGINAL for both driver and passenger in frontal impact and WEAK in side impact pole. Rear impact (whiplash) [which according to research published in the scientific journal Traffic Injury Prevention constitutes the 'vast majority of injuries leading to permanent medical impairment'] is rated as MARGINAL in the Duster. By contrast, adult occupant chest protection is rated as GOOD in the Skoda Yeti and KIA Sportage and ADEQUATE in the Nissan Qashqai while whiplash protection is rated as GOOD in all three of these cars. In addition, independent research has shown that there is significant correlation between a car's NCAP star rating and the real-world crash data. (References available on request).

Please don't get me wrong. I'm not here to bash the Duster or promote any other car. In fact, I'm pretty disappointed because a Duster would suit me far better than a Yeti or a Sportage as I consider these to be mainly city cars whereas the Duster appears to offer an extremely desirable combination between price, off-road capabilities (even for the 2WD model -- certainly superior to the others) and performance. However, until someone shows me that the 3-star rating of the Duster can be SAFELY disregarded, I'll think twice about buying one.
I think you've got to look at the info that's available and make up your own mind as to the dusters safety abilities.

At the end of the day it's you and your family that are travelling in it, not someone else who's opinion is , well , to say the least non educated in NCAP ratings etc .

Don't disregard NCAP findings, they do a job and are good at it, and would think most insurance companies use there ratings to decide on premiums and how safe a car is.

·
Registered
7 Posts
A carefully considered view, Unicoder, thanks for replying. I'm in a kind of conundrum, as I said, because I really like the Duster and it seems to be the right car for me right now, but... I'll have to do some hard thinking in the next week or so...

·
Archived Member
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A carefully considered view, Unicoder, thanks for replying. I'm in a kind of conundrum, as I said, because I really like the Duster and it seems to be the right car for me right now, but... I'll have to do some hard thinking in the next week or so...
Thanks for the comment, I've ordered a duster access 4x4, I looked at the info available and made my decision .

·
Registered
560 Posts
Hi Light_drizzle

It's not really for us to convince you to buy a Duster or not, most of us would be extremely biased having invested in the car. I am not suggesting your questions are not valid but perhaps you should direct them at Dacia via their Facebook Group or via your local dealer?

Have you test driven a Duster, Yeti and Sportage? That might be the next step for you?

Whatever you do I wish you all the best - if you find anything of interest then please let us know.

Regards

Reactions: Bandit

·
Registered
571 Posts
I did the same reviewed all info available... including reasons why it only got a 3 rating rather than 4 or 5.

And decided for me the reason it was not awarded 4/5 were not important to me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the comment, I've ordered a duster access 4x4, I looked at the info available and made my decision .
Hi Light_drizzle

It's not really for us to convince you to buy a Duster or not, most of us would be extremely biased having invested in the car. I am not suggesting your questions are not valid but perhaps you should direct them at Dacia via their Facebook Group or via your local dealer?

Have you test driven a Duster, Yeti and Sportage? That might be the next step for you?

Whatever you do I wish you all the best - if you find anything of interest then please let us know.

Regards

Hi ****,

Thanks for the suggestion, I will check the Dacia Facebook Group. I've test-driven a Duster and a Yeti but not a Sportage. Overall, I found the Yeti refined and good-looking but, as I explained in my post above, I will have use for the Duster's better off-road capabilities. I'll test-drive the Sportage in the next couple of days.

I did the same reviewed all info available... including reasons why it only got a 3 rating rather than 4 or 5.

And decided for me the reason it was not awarded 4/5 were not important to me.
Bandit and Unicoder,

May I ask what tipped the scales for you? Do you find that 3/4 stars (assuming one star was lost due to the lack of ESC) offers adequate protection on most real-life situations?

·
Registered
571 Posts
See video by carbyer it explains the NCAP rating and why it got overall 3 stars.

For me the reasons it was marked down were not important.. i did write a very long explanation... using mobile then lost it all

.. cant be bothered to re write it but the video will explain

1 - 20 of 25 Posts