UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

Another happy owner here, having had 24K miles of easy and trouble free motoring in 20 months.

However, today at the dealership for the 2nd service, they told me that the wear on the front pads AND discs is down to just above the service limit and the dealership therefore recommend replacement of pads and discs.

I was quite surprised, given that we don't thrash the car, and most of the miles are cruising on A roads, motoways and autobahns.

How are other people finding the brake wear? Is 24K miles typical and normal for a modern car?

More importantly, has anyone replaced the pads and discs themselves?

I have a quote of £275 to do the job at the dealership.

Or £142 for the parts from the dealership.

Or £75 for aftermarket parts from Euro Car Parts.

I'm inclined to do the work ourselves, but for the fact I don't know the torque settings for the mounting bolts and I'd rather not ask the dealership :)

I'd be interested to hear what the Logan collective think...

·
Registered
370 Posts
My thoughts are thats a bit soon, but if they are warped/worn they need replaced.

Go to youtube and have a look at a mark III clio being done, according to the Reviewers it should be the same.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah...thanks for that info, Alfitz.

I just watched this...

and it looks simple enough.

Hopefully, a mere 20 months of corrosion won't have gummed anything up too much.

We've got all the tools needed, and as I said, the aftermarket discs and pads are only £75, so I think we'll do the work ourselves.

I've looked at our service sheet in the cold light of day, and we have 0.9mm before the disc is at the service limit...and we have 1.5mm before the pads are at the service limit.

I think we'll change the parts over in a month or so, when we swap over to our winter tyres.

By coincidence, I met the other local Logan couple earlier today, and they're nearly ready for a 36K service..and have not yet had 'the brakes are worn out' warning from the dealership. Perhaps I brake harder than I had realised!

Does anybody know, are there any kind of sensors or warning lights that come on if one gets too close to the limits on pads or discs?

·
Registered
370 Posts
My last car was 11 years old before it needed new discs, don't new discs look lovely. The red paint is optional.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I have had (classic) cars and old cars that did 50K miles before you'd even think about changing discs.

I'm told that modern braking systems are more restricted about what materials they can use, so they wear out that much sooner.

I recall changing front pads on my motorbike maybe every 6-8K miles, whereas the discs lasted till 60K+ miles.

It seems bizarre - that these days, the pads cost more than the discs.

But at least the price for the modern brake parts is more reasonable now!

My stress level was not helped by the dealership putting a lot of pressure on me to have them changed on the spot!

Thanks for your input Alfitz, it does all seem much less of a nightmare than I had first thought :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hope it's not applying to everyone :)

But I'm now feeling that if the parts are sub £100, and it takes a person 1hr per wheel to remove and replace, I think it is not so bad.

Imagine the price of Merc/Audi/Volvo parts, never mind the labour...

Good luck for your service!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all

I too was a happy Dacia owner until being told at my 4th service that my discs were below Dacia's minimum thickness at 18,977 miles (at 24k you seem to be lucky). I naturally thought the discs must be faulty and complained to Dacia about it - copies of emails below:

Thank you again for taking the time to speak with me in regards to the wearing of your brakes of you Dacia Sandero.

As we have discussed I have been in touch with service departments and technical team hear at Dacia UK. As explained, brakes are a wear and tear item that's performance will be heavily affected by a number of external influences. These will include the weight and load of the vehicle, the road surface the vehicle is driven on, driving style and even the weather. Due to the amount of factors that will affect the brakes on a car we cannot set a time or specific mileage when the Pads and Disc's will need to be changed.

I do understand this may not be the answer you were hoping for and in the event you feel that we as a manufacturer have not fulfilled any of our promises, we would refer you to the Motor Ombudsman. Their role is to ensure that we are acting responsibly and fulfilling our obligations as a manufacturer. You can obtain further details about the Motor Ombudsman by visiting their websitewww.themotorombudsman.org or by calling their consumer helpline, 0800 692 0825.

If I can be of any further assistance please contact me on telephone number noted below. Our dedicated Customer Relations department is open from 9.00am to 5.30pm, Monday to Friday (excluding Bank holidays).

Once again thank you for taking the time to contact us here at Dacia UK.

Kind regards

Gemma Lawrence-Swan

Customer Support Manager

and my response:

Dear Ms Gemma Lawrence-Swan

Thank you for responding to my complaint regarding the extremely limited lifespan of the brake discs supplied on my Dacia Sandero.

First I feel Dacia / Renault's customer service could be improved. When I tried to make a complaint on this issue the live online webchat service was not operational giving a choice between telephoning or writing and posting my complaint. An email address would be more efficient.

I telephoned and was not impressed at having to hold for 12 minutes listening to how important my call was to Renault before getting through to yourself. Please note with delays like this it makes me feel you must be getting many complaints.

You also advised me that you were expected to respond to my complaint within 48 working hours - I telephoned Friday afternoon but did not receive a call from you until the following Thursday morning.

During this phone call, although I was not abusive or used bad language you cut me off when I was trying to reiterate my opinion. This is that after talking to many friends and colleagues about this issue, that everyone I had spoken to believes as I do that it is not normal for a new set of discs (at least I assume that on a new car they would have been new) to be worn below the manufacturer's recommended thickness at 18,977 miles especially when the first set of brake pads were 65% worn (information from the Dacia dealer's representative when speaking to him and on voicemail) or three-quarters worn (on the paperwork - even the dealer has provided different information) unless they were faulty and should therefore be covered by the extended warranty I purchased. Normal usage would generally be about one and a half to two sets of brake pads being used per set of discs wear wise. Using pads that outlast discs would seem to be pointless and very unusual as when the discs are changed the pads need to be changed as well even if not very worn.

I accept your comments that geographic locations, weather, weight of the car and the driver can all make a difference to wear however I have driven (as have my friends and colleagues) in this area for many years so all subject to the same geographical locations and weather. My driving may also make a small difference however I have not had to ever change brake discs on any of my cars before (including my last car before the Sandero which I had many problems with leading me to want to buy a new car to avoid this situation again). Also I usually drive alone and my car is never carrying any more than normal shopping so again in this case this is not an issue.

I realise that due to health and safety issues the makeup of the discs has changed over the years however I did not realise they changed drastically 4 years ago when I bought my Sandero - if that is indeed the case, I would appreciate it if you could provide evidence.

If this is not the case and Dacia confirming that discs needing replacing from new at 18,977 miles is perfectly normal and acceptable (which is how I have had to interpret your email), then I can only conclude that the reason Dacias are very reasonably priced is because Dacia use inferior quality parts compared to the other brands of car that I and my friends and colleagues drive and are therefore not the excellent value for money that I originally thought and have told people.

In conclusion, although up to this point I was very pleased with my Dacia and was planning on looking at the Stepway, Duster or the Renault Captur as my next car, I will now be looking at other brands instead. If after careful consideration I ever did buy another Dacia, Renault or Nissan I would certainly not purchase the extended warranty as that has proven to be a waste of money that I could have spent on replacing any parts that are likely to wear out sooner than average. I have also apologised to friends and colleagues for recommending Dacias to them and have now advised they bear the issues I have mentioned (inferior quality wear & tear parts and poor customer service) in mind when looking at them.

The dealer (and there is only one dealer near me in two locations, hence a monopoly) has quoted me £260 for the discs and pads to be replaced. Although I would generally agree that discs would be a wear & tear item and not warranty, in this case I do believe they should be covered and I am very disappointed that this small amount (to Dacia) is worth less than any negative feedback and publicity and quite possible future sales (to me, family and friends).

As you have recommended I will contact the Motor Ombudsman and where possible post on forums making people aware of these issues.

Regards

I guess we get what we pay for - cheap car - cheap quality parts!!!!

·
Registered
841 Posts
"I guess we get what we pay for - cheap car - cheap quality parts!!!!"

The OEM disks and braking components are made by contractors including Bosch and TRW Automotive who both supply BMW and Audi. TRW are now part of the ZF Group.

Dealers always err on the side of safety, which might mean some disks/pads are changed early so they last out the next 12 months before the car is brought in for the next service.

It's an easy job to check disk and pad wear at home with a £5 vernier caliper, and most independent and tyre garages will fit a set.

Disk and pad kits are about £70.00 the pair for both front wheels from auto-suppliers.

"How are other people finding the brake wear? Is 24K miles typical and normal for a modern car?"

Down to 18K for many Ford/Skoda/Fiat owners of city cars.

The Diesel engined Dacias are heavier at the front, so there's more tyre and brake wear than on the petrol cars.

Brake disk wear is almost all down to driving style, plus corrosion unless the calipers are binding. Some people get twice the mileage on the same brakes as others:

"I've done nearly 53,000 miles with my Duster Laureate 4x2 1.5dci in 23 months. Same Disc's, Pads and Tyres." - @pollic, 2015.

·
Registered
281 Posts
"I guess we get what we pay for - cheap car - cheap quality parts!!!!"

The OEM disks and braking components are made by contractors including Bosch and TRW Automotive who both supply BMW and Audi. TRW are now part of the ZF Group.

Dealers always err on the side of safety, which might mean some disks/pads are changed early so they last out the next 12 months before the car is brought in for the next service.

It's an easy job to check disk and pad wear at home with a £5 vernier caliper, and most independent and tyre garages will fit a set.

Disk and pad kits are about £70.00 the pair for both front wheels from auto-suppliers.

"How are other people finding the brake wear? Is 24K miles typical and normal for a modern car?"

Down to 18K for many Ford/Skoda/Fiat owners of city cars.

The Diesel engined Dacias are heavier at the front, so there's more tyre and brake wear than on the petrol cars.

Brake disk wear is almost all down to driving style, plus corrosion unless the calipers are binding. Some people get twice the mileage on the same brakes as others:

"I've done nearly 53,000 miles with my Duster Laureate 4x2 1.5dci in 23 months. Same Disc's, Pads and Tyres." - @pollic, 2015.
My son in law followed me for about 25 miles on A and B roads, when we arrived at our destination he said to me "I thought your brake lights were faulty as you didn't brake for the first 15 miles" which helps to explain that my cars tend to not require pads and disks very often. When I was regularly commuting I often followed cars where they were braking on a straight road every couple of hundred yards or less, one day because it was braking so often I counted how many times the car on front was braking I got to 47 times before I got bored but I hadn't touched the brake pedal over that period.

Some people drive by constantly either accelerating or braking nothing between, they then complain that the car uses a lot of fuel and that it needs a lot of brakes and tyres.

·
Registered
841 Posts
"Some people drive by constantly either accelerating or braking nothing between, they then complain that the car uses a lot of fuel and that it needs a lot of brakes and tyres."

It's extremely hard to get people to change driving habits, they seem to take it as a personal insult. But we can add miles to tank range and brake life by staying back at least three car lengths from the car in front.

The Dacias have regen braking now. It's un-noticable in use but it's somehow nicer to have the energy going into the battery instead of the pockets of your local dealer and filling station.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
Had a look at our Stepway which is at 18500 miles and the pads and discs are hardly touched, our Duster has reached 39000 miles, the discs and pads were still serviceable but have changed over to Mtech discs and Mintex pads which I had fitted to our old Renault Scenic a few years back, discs on the Scenic were grooved and cross drilled, but gone for the cross drilled only on the Duster this time. (Liked the look of the discs behind the wheels). Both the Scenic and the Stepway always seemed to have better brakes than the Duster even though the brake parts come out the the same parts bins at Renault / Nissan, hence the reason for fitting the Mtech and Mintex combo to see if there is an improvement.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all

I too was a happy Dacia owner until being told at my 4th service that my discs were below Dacia's minimum thickness at 18,977 miles (at 24k you seem to be lucky). I naturally thought the discs must be faulty and complained to Dacia about it - copies of emails below:

Thank you again for taking the time to speak with me in regards to the wearing of your brakes of you Dacia Sandero.

As we have discussed I have been in touch with service departments and technical team hear at Dacia UK. As explained, brakes are a wear and tear item that's performance will be heavily affected by a number of external influences. These will include the weight and load of the vehicle, the road surface the vehicle is driven on, driving style and even the weather. Due to the amount of factors that will affect the brakes on a car we cannot set a time or specific mileage when the Pads and Disc's will need to be changed.

I do understand this may not be the answer you were hoping for and in the event you feel that we as a manufacturer have not fulfilled any of our promises, we would refer you to the Motor Ombudsman. Their role is to ensure that we are acting responsibly and fulfilling our obligations as a manufacturer. You can obtain further details about the Motor Ombudsman by visiting their websitewww.themotorombudsman.org or by calling their consumer helpline, 0800 692 0825.

If I can be of any further assistance please contact me on telephone number noted below. Our dedicated Customer Relations department is open from 9.00am to 5.30pm, Monday to Friday (excluding Bank holidays).

Once again thank you for taking the time to contact us here at Dacia UK.

Kind regards

Gemma Lawrence-Swan

Customer Support Manager

and my response:

Dear Ms Gemma Lawrence-Swan

Thank you for responding to my complaint regarding the extremely limited lifespan of the brake discs supplied on my Dacia Sandero.

First I feel Dacia / Renault's customer service could be improved. When I tried to make a complaint on this issue the live online webchat service was not operational giving a choice between telephoning or writing and posting my complaint. An email address would be more efficient.

I telephoned and was not impressed at having to hold for 12 minutes listening to how important my call was to Renault before getting through to yourself. Please note with delays like this it makes me feel you must be getting many complaints.

You also advised me that you were expected to respond to my complaint within 48 working hours - I telephoned Friday afternoon but did not receive a call from you until the following Thursday morning.

During this phone call, although I was not abusive or used bad language you cut me off when I was trying to reiterate my opinion. This is that after talking to many friends and colleagues about this issue, that everyone I had spoken to believes as I do that it is not normal for a new set of discs (at least I assume that on a new car they would have been new) to be worn below the manufacturer's recommended thickness at 18,977 miles especially when the first set of brake pads were 65% worn (information from the Dacia dealer's representative when speaking to him and on voicemail) or three-quarters worn (on the paperwork - even the dealer has provided different information) unless they were faulty and should therefore be covered by the extended warranty I purchased. Normal usage would generally be about one and a half to two sets of brake pads being used per set of discs wear wise. Using pads that outlast discs would seem to be pointless and very unusual as when the discs are changed the pads need to be changed as well even if not very worn.

I accept your comments that geographic locations, weather, weight of the car and the driver can all make a difference to wear however I have driven (as have my friends and colleagues) in this area for many years so all subject to the same geographical locations and weather. My driving may also make a small difference however I have not had to ever change brake discs on any of my cars before (including my last car before the Sandero which I had many problems with leading me to want to buy a new car to avoid this situation again). Also I usually drive alone and my car is never carrying any more than normal shopping so again in this case this is not an issue.

I realise that due to health and safety issues the makeup of the discs has changed over the years however I did not realise they changed drastically 4 years ago when I bought my Sandero - if that is indeed the case, I would appreciate it if you could provide evidence.

If this is not the case and Dacia confirming that discs needing replacing from new at 18,977 miles is perfectly normal and acceptable (which is how I have had to interpret your email), then I can only conclude that the reason Dacias are very reasonably priced is because Dacia use inferior quality parts compared to the other brands of car that I and my friends and colleagues drive and are therefore not the excellent value for money that I originally thought and have told people.

In conclusion, although up to this point I was very pleased with my Dacia and was planning on looking at the Stepway, Duster or the Renault Captur as my next car, I will now be looking at other brands instead. If after careful consideration I ever did buy another Dacia, Renault or Nissan I would certainly not purchase the extended warranty as that has proven to be a waste of money that I could have spent on replacing any parts that are likely to wear out sooner than average. I have also apologised to friends and colleagues for recommending Dacias to them and have now advised they bear the issues I have mentioned (inferior quality wear & tear parts and poor customer service) in mind when looking at them.

The dealer (and there is only one dealer near me in two locations, hence a monopoly) has quoted me £260 for the discs and pads to be replaced. Although I would generally agree that discs would be a wear & tear item and not warranty, in this case I do believe they should be covered and I am very disappointed that this small amount (to Dacia) is worth less than any negative feedback and publicity and quite possible future sales (to me, family and friends).

As you have recommended I will contact the Motor Ombudsman and where possible post on forums making people aware of these issues.

Regards

I guess we get what we pay for - cheap car - cheap quality parts!!!!
I have a 2014 Dacia Sandero with 42k miles on the original brake discs. They probably have another 6k miles left on them as they are at the point were they need to be changed. The pads are just over half worn so will do both at next service. Driving consists of mixed urban and rural driving and the odd long motorway run so I think they've lasted as long as i'd expect them. I'm in the motor trade and discs do not need to be changed at the first signs of wear. There is a minimum thickness for discs and pads. Some less scrupulous dealers will tell you they need changed when they don't. My 'near end of life' brakes pulled me up impressively in an emergency braking situation a month ago so don't change them until they actually need changed. Get someone you trust who knows what they are talking about to give you an honest assessment. My discs have a lip of at least a couple of mm around the edge but they are still safe with no signs of cracking or heat deformation and no warping. As for cheap car cheap parts - not true - all the bits and pieces that make up your Dacia made by Valeo and Bosch etc. are the same quality that go into any other make or model. They have to pass the same QC tests. They save money by using cheaper more basic interior trim and using parts recycled from previous Renaults that already have the R&D costs paid for. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Hello all!

Another happy owner here, having had 24K miles of easy and trouble free motoring in 20 months.

However, today at the dealership for the 2nd service, they told me that the wear on the front pads AND discs is down to just above the service limit and the dealership therefore recommend replacement of pads and discs.

I was quite surprised, given that we don't thrash the car, and most of the miles are cruising on A roads, motoways and autobahns.

How are other people finding the brake wear? Is 24K miles typical and normal for a modern car?

More importantly, has anyone replaced the pads and discs themselves?

I have a quote of £275 to do the job at the dealership.

Or £142 for the parts from the dealership.

Or £75 for aftermarket parts from Euro Car Parts.

I'm inclined to do the work ourselves, but for the fact I don't know the torque settings for the mounting bolts and I'd rather not ask the dealership :)

I'd be interested to hear what the Logan collective think...
Hi just traded my 2014 Logan MCV 1.5dci in for a new Auto Duster .The Logan never missed a beat serviced by the dealers once a year. It had 40,000 on the clock the pads and discs were still going strong.The type of driving it encountered was the similar to the yours.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
If you are mechanical minded it is straight forward, look on you tube as there are a number of videos, alway done it myself only got caught out my duster as I could not remove the front wheels as they had corroded on as there had been no reason to remove them in 4 years. They had covered 40000 miles.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts