UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've taken delivery of my new Stepway. It's a white diesel Ambiance model, and I thought I'd share my first impressions of the car. I read/watched just about every review in existence before ordering the car (sadly, even the foreign language ones on YouTube!), and with the written reviews, I got the distinct impression that some reviewers simply plagiarize other reviews, without actually seeing/testing the car themselves...copy and paste has much to answer for! For example...how many reviews mention that the Stepway comes with alloy wheels?...I rest my case!

Anyway, I've decided to give my own opinion regarding some issues raised in many of the reviews I've read:

Driving Position - Having gone with ambiance trim for financial reasons, my only real concern was the driving position, as I am 6'4" and the steering wheel/driver's seat in the Ambiance are not adjustable. I'm very happy to say that I needn't have worried. Despite my height, my legs are not in conflict with the steering wheel at all whilst I'm driving and I have a clear view of all the dials. My left leg rubs against the bottom of the steering wheel whilst getting in and out of the car, but that's as bad as it gets. With regard to the seat height...there is so much headroom in the Stepway that this is simply not an issue.

Wind Noise - Compared to my previous car (a 2.0L diesel Chevrolet Captiva 4x4), I find the wind noise in the Stepway to be pleasantly reduced. I appreciate that someone moving from another model of car may have a very different opinion, because th CHevvy was pretty bad for this...but after reading that this was supposedly a problem in some reviews, I'm really happy. I do not find it obtrusive in the slightest.

Road Noise - Again...this is noticeably less than my old car, so I'm happy. My wife and I were able to hold a perfectly normal conversation on the motorway this morning without raising our voices.

Radio Volume - I remember reading a comment from someone saying that they couldn't hear the radio on the motorway. I can only assume that they had a defective radio or speakers. I can't comment on the MediaNav unit fitted to the Laureate models, but my Ambiance trim radio CD player is both loud and clear.

Engine Vibration - Several reviews mention engine vibrations being felt through the pedals etc. (One of issues I suspect has been reported too widely thanks to 'copy and paste' reviewing!). All I can say is that mine is both quieter and smoother than my Chevrolet Captiva diesel was. I used to have trouble speaking through the window to the garage attendant at my local ASDA petrol station due to the noise of my engine. I went round there today to fill up the Stepway and the difference was very noticeable. The Stepway is much quieter. As for vibrations...I'm really not aware of anything untoward. Please do not let the nonsense printed about this in some reviews deter you, as I really can't see the justification for it.

Unrefined - Okay...so what does this mean exactly? The word 'unrefined' is banded about in vehicle reviews like it's going out of fashion, without any real explanation of what is meant by it. In this case, I think the only possible justification for using the term might be with regard to the interior plastics, which are not the 'soft-touch' kind you'd expect to find in a more expensive car. Beyond that, I really wouldn't describe the car as unrefined.

I think I'm at the stage where most people will be saying...'okay, now shut up'....so I will.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks for the review- you raised a few if the things I am slightly nervous about (waiting for mine to be delivered!). Happy driving :)

Posted Via The DaciaForum.co.uk App

·
Registered
23 Posts
I know what you mean - the word "unrefined" is thrown around a lot in Dacia reviews, but I can't see it myself. I my 0.9 Ambiance Stepway is lovely and a vast improvement on the crappy little Picanto I used to drive. Admittedly there's a few things that are a little basic but none of them have a negative impact on my enjoyment of the car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts