UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if the 2018 Duster update includes availability of Android Auto/Apple Carplay in the UK?

I've read a couple of previews in the motoring press last year which said this would be happening, but I downloaded a French brochure yesterday and couldn't find any mention of either.

I know most current Renaults have this. Does anyone know if the new Duster infotainment screen is shared with a current Renault?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey! Well, I tried connecting my android phone to the car's USB, but nothing happens. Of course, I previously installed the Android auto app. This leads me to the conclusion that Duster 2 doesn't support Android auto.

If someone thinks I am missing something, please let me know.

Thanks

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'm sure I have seen an options price list that includes a replacement media system with Android Auto/Apple Car play.

These are post production options. So that seems to suggest they could be added by the dealer?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
103 Posts
The one in that brochure is UK option for a Kenwood radio as dealer fit option, that's not the one factory fitted...The Standard Sat Nav and media unit is a LG Made unit. Known as Media Nav Evolution. On my Duster 2 with Media Nav Evolution here in France I can play music over bluetooth from my Android phone, although I usually just use a 16Gb USB stick. Haven't tried an iPhone. The same unit is fitted to Renault Cars.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Apparently from July, Duster factory orders MediaNav comes with CarPlay and Android Auto built in.

At this point it is unknown if they have rebuilt the medianav system completely or if it is a module added to the back of it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Apparently from July, Duster factory orders MediaNav comes with CarPlay and Android Auto built in.

At this point it is unknown if they have rebuilt the medianav system completely or if it is a module added to the back of it.
July this year? All orders are factory orders now. There are only a few diesel models in stock apart from that it's from the factory.

·
Registered
203 Posts
No Apple Car Play or Android Auto, as for the mention above about cars coming with it from July build, I've not heard of that.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I might spring for the dealer added unit that comes with Android Auto.

Maybe not though, If I can get a decent phone holder android auto works on the phone now anyway.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The current Media Nav unit runs Windows CE but from later this year (date unknown) it will switch to running Android. I know this only because if I go to the French software/map update site it asks me which 2018 version I have. Mine in my Duster 2 delivered late June is the definitely the Windows version. No idea when the changeover will happen the French web site for the unit just says LATE 2018. As far as I can see its the same or similar hardware or at least they look identical as the picture on the French web site of the two units is the same.

I just tested and with the current unit you can play music over Bluetooth from your Android phone (and just tried with my wife's iPhone too) BUT it doesn't look like you have much control over the phone just seems to work like a bluetooth speaker, but i'm nipping out soon so I'll have a better play. Not really tried it as I prefer USB stick method.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The current Media Nav unit runs Windows CE but from later this year (date unknown) it will switch to running Android. I know this only because if I go to the French software/map update site it asks me which 2018 version I have. Mine in my Duster 2 delivered late June is the definitely the Windows version. No idea when the changeover will happen the French web site for the unit just says LATE 2018. As far as I can see its the same or similar hardware or at least they look identical as the picture on the French web site of the two units is the same.

I just tested and with the current unit you can play music over Bluetooth from your Android phone (and just tried with my wife's iPhone too) BUT it doesn't look like you have much control over the phone just seems to work like a bluetooth speaker, but i'm nipping out soon so I'll have a better play. Not really tried it as I prefer USB stick method.
In other cars I have used that have Bluetooth you can use the microphone to control android auto.

·
Registered
203 Posts
You can bluetooth music to the unit and on the Renault's you can use Siri too (not sure on the Dacia's, only because I don't recall seeing a speaker button on the steering wheel, but then I haven't been looking for one), possibly you can on new Duster.

·
Registered
87 Posts
You can bluetooth music to the unit and on the Renault's you can use Siri too (not sure on the Dacia's, only because I don't recall seeing a speaker button on the steering wheel, but then I haven't been looking for one), possibly you can on new Duster.
It says "Siri eyes free" in the specs.

·
Registered
103 Posts
My 2018 Prestige has a voice activated button on the steering wheel it works with Siri on my wifes iPhone although I usually pair it with my Android phone and don't usually need to make any calls.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2018 Dacia Duster (Prestige) here in Switzerland (April delivery). I think it is basically exactly the same as those in the UK i.e. Media Nav Evolution.

Using my Samsung S6, plugged into the USB and wireless BT, it has the following properties;

• No voice activated assistant (only works with iOS Siri etc).
  • No Android Auto
  • Doesn't see the music on the phone as a USB device
  • Doesn't even recognise the caller ID over BT (it did the first days I connected it, but has stopped working since)

Needless to say, I'm slightly disappointed, but I guess you get what you pay for.

I would love to know if there is an official or even unofficial firmware upgrade for this ANDROID OS version mentioned above.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
103 Posts
It's unlikely that the Android OS will work or work well, on the earlier models due to hardware spec changes.

My unit does see the music on my Android mobile if I set the phone to (a) so both internal and SD storage are combined and not separate; and (b) so the phone automatically and immediately shows up as usb storage when connected to a computer and not asks you to authorise usb access or which usb protocol.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So took delivey today and updated the media nav unit. It is on a version starting 1.03 i think. Is this the new android unit or old windows version? It works a treat i must say.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I received my duster 2 last thursday.

The infotainment system is neither android auto nor iPhone carplay compatible. The manual does mention both, however connecting my iPhone8 via usb instigates an iPod interface, no CarPlay screen mirroring.
The system does stream audio over Bluetooth (so the Bluetooth mode enabled is more than just a basic hands free profile). There is also a Siri hands free button on the steering wheel.

Splash screen on boot shows the LG logo. Software version 1.0.12.8
From the number of open source licensing notifications, this is def a Linux (Android) based system.

Sadly, quite a few bugs already seen, including the annoying fact that the system never seems to remember when you mute it ( mute, make phone call, hang up, system unmutes).
Lots of thumps and bangs when using Siri and going back to audio sources (when Siri disconnects)
Annoyingly the hands free facility is not available unless the system is "on". Even though the clock and temp show when the system is "off". ....... hands free also please when off! Like most other car infotainment systems.

1 - 20 of 121 Posts