UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
I received my duster 2 last thursday.

The infotainment system is neither android auto nor iPhone carplay compatible. The manual does mention both, however connecting my iPhone8 via usb instigates an iPod interface, no CarPlay screen mirroring.
The system does stream audio over Bluetooth (so the Bluetooth mode enabled is more than just a basic hands free profile). There is also a Siri hands free button on the steering wheel.

Splash screen on boot shows the LG logo. Software version 1.0.12.8
From the number of open source licensing notifications, this is def a Linux (Android) based system.

Sadly, quite a few bugs already seen, including the annoying fact that the system never seems to remember when you mute it ( mute, make phone call, hang up, system unmutes).
Lots of thumps and bangs when using Siri and going back to audio sources (when Siri disconnects)
Annoyingly the hands free facility is not available unless the system is "on". Even though the clock and temp show when the system is "off". ....... hands free also please when off! Like most other car infotainment systems.

·
Registered
98 Posts
just updated my infotainment system to version 1.0.13 maps update also.

The update processes is a real "rig-ma-rol". Lots of usb pen drive swapping, with fussy file systems.

In the end I just sat in the car with my laptop.

I can still see that the muting "feature" hasn't changed since the OS update.

There is definitely a loud "thump" as well when the siri integration button action disengages and the original audio source starts to play again. I hope over time this doesn't potentially blow the speakers or output amp of the headunit.

·
Registered
98 Posts
after a tweet to Dacia, was given a phone number....

called, and they confirmed that my Oct '18 Duster Media nav unit CANNOT be upgraded to apple carplay as this requires a hardware upgrade.

There is obviously a late '18 early '19 changeover from the non-carplay to the carplay enabled units.

My non-carplay unit is FULL of bugs, I hate to think how bad the carplay unit may be..... software QA is not these guys strength :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Quick guide:
Google how to get to the test mode(even the old medianavs use the same technique just different password)
When you get to enter password, enter 6835 then ok.
Delete the code
Enter 9377 then ok
If it says invalid passkey as there is 2 different firmware versions use 8457 then ok then delete then 7777 then ok.
You should then be in the test menu.
To exit press the power button

If you have a usb in with a notepad file saved as mcmtest_activate.ini
You can enter the mimicon menu
Press Cp to on or aa to on (cp is CarPlay aa is android)
Press hard reset button (just means save config)
Press power button to exit
Take out usb
Media nav reboots
Plug in cable to usb and phone and it should pop up CarPlay
Maybe I will try to do a YouTube vid when I can get the time
Ok ok
I can 100% confirm this works! U absolute legend!

Took me about 20 attempts to get into the test menu, but followed the instructions as listed above.
CarPlay now works!

Really bloody naughty that I was told by 3 different Renault people that the head unit requires different usb hardware!
A blatant lie!

Naughty!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Don't be so quick to accuse, until I read this thread I was under the assumption that it couldn't be done too, I was told this last year by the product manager at Dacia UK.

However there must be a reason why it is claimed it can't be done, perhaps it isn't stable, perhaps there are bugs in the system.
Hmm.....
I was told on multiple occasions that CarPlay could not be enabled on my headunit, cos it required a hardware upgrade (on the usb side of things).
I was then told the CarPlay compatible unit couldn't be fitted in my car.

I get what you're saying, but from my perspective, now with hindsight , it looks like somebody was telling porkies.

As you say it could be down to bugs, as the headunit is full of them! I'd say that so far the CarPlay feature is the least buggy part of my medianav

·
Registered
98 Posts
Are these the right touch locations? TL, BL, TR, TM and BR respectively.
c37b560cb4b185d113cbe7ee8a12213f.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
You said u couldn't get the password prompt up, my Dropbox vid should show the process up to getting the password prompt.

Top left and top right bubbles need to be lower, u need to press the top of the dark area not the light blue
The middle bubble needs to be directly above the "i" button

·
Registered
98 Posts
You my friend are a legend!

AA works. Although it does look a bit washed out and the options are not the same as they were in my Astra (can't find playlists is Spotify) but it works and so does the voice button on the steering wheel.

What is the latest firmware version for this head unit?
27910c2acdc1f0bac7af7e116d161278.jpg
ce260f1a34b5d7d4696a165de8009888.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hmmmmm
So "6835" followed by "9377" doesn't work?

From what i remember reading, the codes are tied to the firmware version, so they SHOULD be the same on each headunit at the same firmware revision.

Are u sure you're deleting the first code properly before entering the second code.

I'll be ensuring my headunit NEVER gets a software update now, as my CarPlay has been rock steady since I enabled it.
I wont be risking not being able to get the unlock codes for future firmware releases (if they change them)

Maybe, get the dealership to give u the codes.
I don't believe for a moment that they don't have them.

A point to note, from a friend "in the know" is that Dacia/medianav will be paying apple a license fee for every headunit sold with CarPlay enabled:
That's why they may not be so keen to unlock/enable CarPlay on headunits sold with the feature turned off.
Even though, as demonstrated, the headunits blatantly support it, despite the lies we've been told

·
Registered
98 Posts
Many Thanks Lightening.Yes, that combination of codes does get me into the Test System (I had omitted to click "OK" before deleting the first code!). But half of the menu options in the Test System are greyed out - including "Micom Test" if that's the one I need? So I'm one stage further on, but still missing something for now. Maybe the blank mcmtest_activate.ini Notepad file I have saved onto my USB (FAT32) stick? but I can't see anything wrong with that. So near but still so far!PS. The Dealership Service Manager reckoned that licensing was probably an issue in all this, so your friend-in-the-know may be on to something there.
You're almost there!

Make sure the .ini file is a .ini file and not .ini.txt

This is a common mistake on windows.
To check, use a command line window and do a "dir".
Google is your friend here.
You'll know when you've got it right , 'cos the windows icon for this file will change to one with a cog in it.

I achieved what I needed via a "rename" command on the command line.

Make sure the usb pendrive is freshly formatted, and the blank .ini file is the only file on the drive.

If you need step by step instructions, let me know.

·
Registered
98 Posts
In response to Lightening's post of 21 June (concerned about updating from software version 1.0.13.1 in case it messes things up): I just updated mine to 1.0.13.2 and I can confirm that Android Auto is still working OK. But I haven't tried Apple CarPlay.
Any release notes? Looks like a small patch from the release increment?

·
Registered
98 Posts
I don't think pw 2 is accepted...Ill check again later.
Did you try
4620 for password 1
2047 for password 2

You need to enter password 1, delete, then enter password 2

This should get you into the engineering menu, the usb file is needed to enable the option in the engineering menu to turn of AA and CarPlay support

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have a mate that I can't name Who confirms they have to pay a licensing fee for CarPlay and AA, therefore even if the hardware is capable, they just won't enable it due to licensing on old units.

That's no excuse to lie though. I was told, in writing, that my unit would and could not support carplay.
I've use it for over 6 months now even on ios13 beta, with absolutely no problems at all......

..... except, I have noticed that the sound controls are not obeyed in CarPlay mode (the eq, fab and balance).
A minor annoyance

1 - 18 of 18 Posts