UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Daciaists,
I recently bought a new Sandero. Picked it up on 30th May.
I was very happy with the drive, from the very start. Engine, performance, steering, general feel of the car and various features. Nice size of vehicle for my needs, and great looking car as well. I loved (and still love) this vehicle.
One thing was leaving me perplexed, though. On occasions the car stalled. And it still does. By paying attention to the situations in which the car would stall, I concluded it is likely to stall when driving a low revs AND on a gradient or change of gradient, in 1st or 2nd gear. (On a couple of occasions it happened in higher gears.)
I took it to the dealer to have it checked. In August they told me they couldn't find a fault with it. In October (once I was more precise in explaining under what circumstances the car would stall), the dealer told me about "Error DTC158B96". It's the car's way of "protecting the Fly Wheel" by stalling when driving at low revs, on a gradient.
Which means that, if for instance there's a road hump before a busy junction, the car can stall in the middle of the junction.
What's even worse is that, once it stalls, the car doesn't always start immediately. It can take up to 10 seconds to restart.
The dealer made sure they called it a "safety feature", not to have to fix it.
But this is a fault, and a potentially lethal one at that.
A car should drive, unless the driver intends to stop. No car should autonomously decide to stall of its own accord, because it could stop in the way of oncoming traffic, when other cars expect it to drive normally and get out of the way.
At times this sudden engine stalls have been a minor inconvenience, other times an embarrassment, on other occasions they've been a serious worry. On a couple of occasions they've been frightening, but I got away with it.
Has anybody else encountered this problem?

·
Premium Member
2020 Sandero Stepway, 1977 MGB Roadster
272 Posts
As a matter of interest, what car did you have before the Sandero?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I find both those replies unintentionally funny! I had a Skoda Fabia diesel, which would just keep running on tickover and tried the same with the 0.9 petrol Sandero, to compare... Slowed down to a near stop, without pressing the clutch and the car refused to stall. I then released the brake and the car continued to move, albeit slowly. (The Fabia would pick up its speed again, like a dog pulling on a lead).
So I would think stalling when slowing, unless slowing to an extremely slow speed or in a very high gear, is not a safety issue. Might be a driver issue but if revs were ok and speed was inertia was still apparent, I would think this potentially dangerous!

The bit about gradients might be a salient point... Obviously if going up a steep-ish incline, stall at low revs, is considerably more likely but I would have thought modern, fuel injected ecu controlled vehicles would read this and add a little more fuel, to help prevent stalling.

·
Premium Member
Azurite Blue Sandero Stepway dCi 63 plate (2013) with permanent dashboard illumination.
4,107 Posts
Just drive it properly then and stop mauling it.
For goodness sake.
If you want to drive around just off tick over revs I suggest a straight six or v8 engined vehicle on carburettors.
Or a diesel ! :eek:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts