UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ... new here

got a 2018 1.5DCI, fully serviced, 80,000 km on clock.
Got in it this morning, turned ignition and no starting motor.
Battery fine at 12.6V.
All the warning lights come on the go out as they should.
checked Starter motor and engine fuses in dash panel, all look OK
Tested 2 big fuses by battery terminal, both OK
opened fuse box under bonnet and checked all the smaller fuses, all OK
any suggestions before I get an expensive tow truck
thanks
Eddie

·
Registered
Oct 2013 Sandero Ambiance 1.2
2,334 Posts
Do you hear a click when you turn the key. If so the starter solenoid is operating.

If you have the confidence you could short the solenoid output contacts with a srewdriver or similar to see if the starter turns, That is what breakdown services do.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Under your battery +ve cover there may be a thinner wire which may be a fusible link. Check your engine bay fuses again & relays. There is a relay for fuel pump & starter solenoid. The big 40A relay is for the cooling fan - leave that. Take a photo before u remove anything.

U said that all your dash lights work normally & the battery voltage is 12.6. Turn on your head lamps, blower & check the drop w/ ign on. Try to operate the power windows & see the drop. (Just to be assured that your battery is good). What is the voltage at the battery when u try to start? If there is no change, there is no current draw on that line.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hi ... new here

got a 2018 1.5DCI, fully serviced, 80,000 km on clock.
Got in it this morning, turned ignition and no starting motor.
Battery fine at 12.6V.
All the warning lights come on the go out as they should.
checked Starter motor and engine fuses in dash panel, all look OK
Tested 2 big fuses by battery terminal, both OK
opened fuse box under bonnet and checked all the smaller fuses, all OK
any suggestions before I get an expensive tow truck
thanks
Eddie

I had a series of no starts on my new Sandero 3 Access which the RAC had to help to get the car to start before I drove the car to the garage. The engine would not crank .

My car is a petrol engine so the following may not apply but it might be worth a try because it's simple

On my car if the battery negative terminal is disconnected and then reconnected , it will allow the engine to be started but cause all the alerts to show on the instrument panel which will need the garage to investigate and reset .

It would be interesting to hear of the outcome. Hopefully its not a burnt out starter motor.

Ambvol

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
got therre in the end. Had to do the tow. It was a burnt out starter motor! What caused it was the ignition key barrel was sticky and the starter got stuck on, i.e. did not spring back to "run" when key was released after starting.

Dont know if thats a Dacia think or bad luck, I do live u a dirt track so very dusty and dirty environment???

·
Registered
285 Posts
Sorry to hear that. The manual mentions not to crank for >10s & then wait 10s. The switch is designed so that u have to switch OFF before restarting if the engine stalls, to prevent u accidentally turning the key w/ engine running eg., @ a traffic light.

Many cars have a fusible link wire (a thinner gauge wire about 10 cms long) to the starter line at the battery terminal or in the line.

The starter on the 1.5 dci takes upto 230A peak for the 1st cold start & about 170 - 200A later w/ engine warmed up (personally measured w/ a DC clamp meter measuring peak inrush current).

Keep IGN key clean (wipe w/ spirit) & it shouldn't be bent! The locks can be lubricated w/ specific sprays for this.

·
Premium Member
2020 Sandero Stepway II, 1977 MGB Roadster
426 Posts
Here in France, Dacia recaled Sanderos built between 1st September 2017 and 19 October 2018 for faulty ignition switches which could keep the starter engaged and thus burn it out. Don’t know whether this would apply to your car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts