UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got these LED brake/tail lights, they work fine off a battery, they fit and seem to have the right connections in the right places but just won't work at all in the car.

stopbulb.jpg

Incompatible somehow? any ideas?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Put bulb in right way round with pins correctly positioned.

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thought of that but they are a one way fit, the pins are offset so that you can't put the bulbs in the wrong way round.

I've read elsewhere that there can be issues with resistance but thought the Dusters system was too basic for that to be the case.

·
Registered
346 Posts
The filament design as you know is just a heated wire with the waste product being light and heat.

But with LED's you need resistance which is normally added to the bulb measured in mA. Without this added resistance you don't create current in the circuit which can affect the circuits operation.

I think you need to add load resistors into the circuit.

·
Super Moderator
2,832 Posts
I don't know much about vehicle electrics, but I did do a degree in physics.

You don't need a resistance to create a current, a resistance limits the current. Resistance is measured in Ohms, Current is measured in Amps or mA. In fact Current = Volts / Resistance

It these LED bulbs had too low a resistance they would blow the fuse on any car they were fitted on. Too high a resistance shouldn't be a problem in a basic circuit as they are going to need very little current to light the LEDs.

In cars which have electronics that detect blown bulbs a LED bulb that has the wrong resistance, ie. too different from a bulb, might cause error codes because it thinks the bulb is broken but I don't think that would shut the current to the bulb off.

·
Registered
346 Posts
To try and help a bit more the links on the website explain is better than me :)

http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/LED-Car-Bulbs-c-1337/

Household and Industrial Electrics are my thing mostly, but I hope you find what you need on this site particularly the part referring to resistance.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
I got these LED brake/tail lights, they work fine off a battery, they fit and seem to have the right connections in the right places but just won't work at all in the car.

stopbulb.jpg

Incompatible somehow? any ideas?
awwww my favorite mate troute and his conundrum with the lights :D :D :D :D

why cant u stay put with haggis lights :lol: :lol: :lol:

its a plane its a space ship

no its troutes haggis duster enterprise :D :D :D

·
Super Moderator
2,832 Posts

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got those as well Chris but they are not as bright as the original bulbs, I was hoping to improve on them.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I looked into 580 leds for my yet to arrive Sandero and there were so many issues on other manufacturer's forums I decided not to bother. As well bulb warning systems it is also the canbus wiring system used on most new cars (Renaults use it so I assume Dacia do as well) that causes the problems (I think canbus is based on digital pulses linked to the ecu - but not entirely sure that's what an alarm/stereo fitter once told me)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts