UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I refilled our Sandero for the first time last night, and found that the trip computer's fuel economy figure was way out. The figure on the dash was 44.2, but I'd covered 350 miles with 10.5 gallons - about 33 mpg.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Ratty

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
I`m sure ive seen it mentioned a quite few times ratty,,,, but cant remember the outcome.

maybe worth doing a search MPG.

not got my stepway yet,,,so cant comment.

cheers

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
It's always out, I've had mine under and over read, the only true way to check is from fill up, all mpg calcs are a gimmick anyway.
Check out the average on this hgv I'm using today, now that's over reading!!! Probably 100 mpg out

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
Like Carlos says Ratty,,,,, try a `brim to brim` check. looks like its the only reliable way.

I assume its petrol not diesel by the way ?

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
That's pretty low mpg for any of the engines, I'd keep an eye on that.
My logans a tce, and I regularly beat the crap out of it and it still returns 45 mpg at the lowest.
The 1.2 I'd guess will be more efficient as it won't be willing you to push it a bit harder all the time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the replies,..

The car is a petrol 0.9 TCe, about 450 miles on the clock, mostly short trips of 5 miles or less. I've been using the car in its "non eco" setting mostly, so I'll see what difference "eco" makes.

The computer is showing a MPG figure that would appear to tally with what I might expect from the spec of car, and showed a consumption figure of 7.8 gallons when the car had actually used more than 10 - I must've come pretty close to running dry! There doesn't seem to be anything amiss with the way it's running, but this is the first car I've had with less than 4 cylinders, and the first with a turbo.

Ratty

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Like Carlos says Ratty,,,,, try a `brim to brim` check. looks like its the only reliable way.

I assume its petrol not diesel by the way ?
Even a brim to brim check can be out by nearly 4mpg based on variances in forecourt pump delivery (the legal tolerances) ambient temp of the fuel in the forecourt tank, ambient air temp and assuming that you fill all the space in the tank.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Thanks for all the replies,..

The car is a petrol 0.9 TCe, about 450 miles on the clock, mostly short trips of 5 miles or less. I've been using the car in its "non eco" setting mostly, so I'll see what difference "eco" makes.

The computer is showing a MPG figure that would appear to tally with what I might expect from the spec of car, and showed a consumption figure of 7.8 gallons when the car had actually used more than 10 - I must've come pretty close to running dry! There doesn't seem to be anything amiss with the way it's running, but this is the first car I've had with less than 4 cylinders, and the first with a turbo.

Ratty
eco may make a difference In your situation as it's only short trips. For me eco made my mpg worse, but mines all 40/50/60/70 mph runs with alot of Roundabouts in between, with the tce if you try holding onto your gears a little longer than you normally would, and not trying to get into 4th at 30 until after about 5 mins driving (I keep mine in 3rd until over 30) could help, also pushing a little bit further and drawing the throttle out a bit slower than you normally would between gear changes seems to also help.
Hope you get there with it in the end, the tce is a pip! Being a 3 cylinder it makes a wonderful noise ????

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
I`m hoping my diesel does a lot better once it arrives,,,,,,like,,,TWICE better,,,at least,,, lol.

My FTO does better than Rattys sandero,,,,and thats like Thit off a Thovel. heheeheh

Keep your eye on it Ratty, hope alls ok.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm curious to know how the trip computer actually works, how it meters the petrol, since that seems to be where it's getting its sums so wrong. It almost makes me wonder if there's a fuel leak, but there's no evidence of that. The gauge seems pretty accurate, though I'll fill her up the next time it goes down to two bars.

I find myself driving the car in a similar way to the daily Ratmobile, a diesel Vauxhall Combo - there's not much in the way of performance unless the revs are up. I'll go more gently and see what happens, With the engine rarely reaching temperature, I probably won't see decent economy.

We're really happy with the car. We had one of the last non-cat Lada Rivas in 1991 for what was probably about the same price allowing for inflation. The only way the Sandero might remind me of that Lada is in the quality of the upholstery, but in pretty much every other way it's easily a match for the more "mainstream" brands.

Ratty

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I'm curious to know how the trip computer actually works, how it meters the petrol, since that seems to be where it's getting its sums so wrong. It almost makes me wonder if there's a fuel leak, but there's no evidence of that. The gauge seems pretty accurate, though I'll fill her up the next time it goes down to two bars.

I find myself driving the car in a similar way to the daily Ratmobile, a diesel Vauxhall Combo - there's not much in the way of performance unless the revs are up. I'll go more gently and see what happens, With the engine rarely reaching temperature, I probably won't see decent economy.

We're really happy with the car. We had one of the last non-cat Lada Rivas in 1991 for what was probably about the same price allowing for inflation. The only way the Sandero might remind me of that Lada is in the quality of the upholstery, but in pretty much every other way it's easily a match for the more "mainstream" brands.

Ratty
I feel it needs lower gears, anything below 1500rpm and it's like there's a pillar drill under the bonnet.
You'd be better off sticking in lower gears while breaking in, letting the engine struggle would be worse than pushing it a bit.
There's a good 10mph in each gear, my last car was a 3 cylinder, similar set up with the long gearing, when compared to our ford that can take 5th gear at 25mph it does take a bit more work.
It seems most fuel efficient at just over 50 in 5th or 30mph in 4th, but not until it's warmed up a bit, the comp on mine does read really low on the instant readout for the first few miles, and the gear change indicator does order me to change down to 3rd from 4th at 30mph if I forget within the first few miles.

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
When I took took a stepway for a 24 hours test drive,,,,( not constantly,,,heheheh that would be silly,,,,and very tiring )

, on return to dealers I mentioned the ""instant MPG readout " to the salesman., saying,,,, Its dives about all over.... one second its 99.9mpg then the next second its 39 mpg,,,, ,,, how are you supposed to determine which readout is the right one ??

. His reply,,,,......... " oh yes,, it does that "

great explanation then !!!.. far far better than any manual could explain... hehehehehe

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
I would fill it to the brim,,,,,, reset the computer,,,,,,, then take Mrs Ratty and any Rat-ettes you may have, for good long drive for a couple of days.

then refill to brim and do the sums,,,,,,,and compare again with computer readout.

Hope it rises for you Ratty......... so to speak,.heheheh

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Just a thought but the dealer didn't give you a full tank with the car did they? They may have been crafty and filled it enough for the last bar to light up.... I can get over 100 miles before the first one goes out.

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
that reminds me,,,,

Full tank ?? whats all this then ?? lol..... My dealer said £15 `s worth,,,, heheheheh,,, enough to get me to a garage,,,,,,,,heheheh

or in Rattys case,,,,,,,,to the gate !!! lol

Ratty .. no offence

·
Registered
641 Posts
Instant does that, its showing how fuel consumption responds moment by moment to micro changes in driving conditions. If you want an overall view look at the average.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts