UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Reading the posts in the forum, it seems that most people have ordered diesel against petrol and the demonstrators seem to be highest spec diesel 4x4's. Has any member driven the petrol 2wd model. As my ordered car will have a fair amount of city stop/start use, am I thinking I have made the correct choice of petrol or not as the case may be. I understand that many diesel vehicles don't take too kindly to short journeys and stop/start use (particulate filter blocking problems)?

·
Formally "2Dusterschris"
363 Posts
I've driven and I'm about to take delivery of a 4x4 petrol-engined Duster.
I chose this because I wanted the simple base model and therefore had to have a petrol engine. However, I am disillusioned with small turbodiesel engines, especially when doing low mileages. My present Fiat had to have a replacement turbo at less than 40,000 miles because the wastegate actuator seized, probably due to low mileage and a careful driving style. In addition, I believe that DPFs will fail eventually and need replacement and do not do well on short journeys. My feeling is that maintenance costs on modern turbodiesels can equal or exceed fuel savings over petrol engines.
There's no doubt that the greater torque of the diesel engine will make it a more relaxed car to drive.
I suspect that those buying Dusters will be planning to keep them for a lot longer than a fleet buyer. They are going to find that the petrol engine offers better long-term reliability and lower running costs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks, good sound advice and just what I needed, not capable of towing our 1750kg caravan anyway..

I've driven and I'm about to take delivery of a 4x4 petrol-engined Duster.
I chose this because I wanted the simple base model and therefore had to have a petrol engine. However, I am disillusioned with small turbodiesel engines, especially when doing low mileages. My present Fiat had to have a replacement turbo at less than 40,000 miles because the wastegate actuator seized, probably due to low mileage and a careful driving style. In addition, I believe that DPFs will fail eventually and need replacement and do not do well on short journeys. My feeling is that maintenance costs on modern turbodiesels can equal or exceed fuel savings over petrol engines.
There's no doubt that the greater torque of the diesel engine will make it a more relaxed car to drive.
I suspect that those buying Dusters will be planning to keep them for a lot longer than a fleet buyer. They are going to find that the petrol engine offers better long-term reliability and lower running costs.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to 2dusterschris for his comments. Can I ask how the petrol engine in his duster performed? I intend to tow a lightweight Lunar caravan with my 2wd access and wondered what the power delivery is like. On another subject, I was looking at the other Dacia Club site and someone living on the continent had purchased a duster with an LPG system. Does anyone know if that is a factory option over there? I'm thinking that an LPG system may be worth considering fitting at a later date to negate the diesel advantage in fuel consumption.

·
Formally "2Dusterschris"
363 Posts
I haven't driven the Duster a sufficient distance to give a fair assessment of performance but I was consistently changing up a gear at 3,000rpm rather than 2,000rpm as I do in the Fiat Panda diesel. I suspect that towing even a lightweight caravan the petrol-engined Duster will need plenty of revs to keep up with the traffic and frequent gear changes especially when hills are encountered. I also suspect that fuel economy will be relatively poor whilst towing but that will be down to personal driving style and the speeds you choose to travel at.

·
Premium Member
1,199 Posts
It's a shame the towing capacity (1500kg with a braked trailer) is so low, 2000kg would have encompassed so much more. Anyway, to the topic, petrol model is what I'm planning on getting, purely because I'm not convinced with the longevity of diesel engines. Too many EGR's, DMF's, DPF's, Injectors, Turbos go wrong.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I've gone for the 4x4 diesel as I tow a small Eriba caravan weighing in at 900kg, the Duster is ideal with a peak torque of 240Nm giving the much needed low end grunt. the petrol engine produces 148Nm of torque.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'll be going with petrol I think, I dont want to have to worry about my driving style

It's a shame there aren't more colour options for the petrol model, perhaps they'll rethink it at some point because of the unexpected popularity of the base model

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am too interested in this quesiton as to Petrol or Diesel. Instinctively I would prefer the petrol based on all the complications i have heard about diesel. But based on my rudimentry calcs over a 10 years period the diesel even though more expensive intially seems to work out cheaper as both mpg and road tax are stacked against it.. apologies as I cant upload spreadsheets. I used 1.4 for petrol/1.5 diesel. I allowed for a 500 differential for more expensive diesel repair and roadtax assumed it would rise to 400 for the petrol 4x4 over time.

Font Number Screenshot Parallel Circle

Attachments

·
Registered
324 Posts
Welcome ghostbusters, and thank you.

That really puts my mind at rest about my choice.

All I now have to worry about is everything mechanical, LOL :p

·
Premium Member
1,199 Posts
I'd point out repair costs aren't factored into the above calculations. Over 10 years, I'd expect injectors, DMF and EGR valves to be needing replacement on a diesel.

·
Premium Member
1,199 Posts
Depends how many times your injectors / EGR Valves/ DMF fails :D

Karl would be a good one to ask actually as he works in a Renault Parts Department

·
Formally "2Dusterschris"
363 Posts
Access 4x4 road fund licence is £215 not £400 per annum.

Higher torque diesel engine will wear out, especially, front tyres quicker.

If I bought a diesel Duster I would buy the 7 year warranty if keeping the car that long. For a petrol model I don't think I'd bother.

Long term residual values impossible to predict so can't really be factored in.

I suspect running costs over 5+ years, expressed as pence per mile, will be similar for petrol and diesel models except where annual mileage is high which will favour diesel.

Additional down time for diesel repairs might be important for business users.

·
Registered
37 Posts
An interesting discussion.

I have done my own comparison, based on the cheapest petrol Duster and the cheapest Diesel. I have also added a column for a petrol Duster running on LPG, as I am considering having a conversion done on mine when it arrives. I have allowed £1000 for the conversion, and have adjusted the petrol consumption from 35 MPG on petrol to 30 on LPG.

Based on these figures LPG gives the lowest cost over 10 years. It also avoids the issues affecting modern diesels with dual mass flywheels, particulate filters, injectors, glowplugs etc.

Font Number Pattern Screenshot Parallel

Food for thought.... please feel free to question my assumptions.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
sorry my mistake , I took the first year tax figure and allowed it to gradually rise.. as you say say should of started @ 215 a year..

i guess also that governmetns will start to increase the tax significantly more on the higher CO2 emmision bands ..

i do intend to keep the car for 10 years . my current car is nearly 14 years.. a passat fromm new. 225k miles , manual petrol and I am amazed that is still on the original clutch.. if the dacia matches that would be well happy.

do you really think the torque on the diesel dacia is that significant? i got the feeling form the figures it was slightly underpowered?

Access 4x4 road fund licence is £215 not £400 per annum.

Higher torque diesel engine will wear out, especially, front tyres quicker.

If I bought a diesel Duster I would buy the 7 year warranty if keeping the car that long. For a petrol model I don't think I'd bother.

Long term residual values impossible to predict so can't really be factored in.

I suspect running costs over 5+ years, expressed as pence per mile, will be similar for petrol and diesel models except where annual mileage is high which will favour diesel.

Additional down time for diesel repairs might be important for business users.

·
Registered
9 Posts
would the lpg conversion invalidate any warranty?? and perhaps lead to having to factor in some repairs?

I have done my own comparison, based on the cheapest petrol Duster and the cheapest Diesel. I have also added a column for a petrol Duster running on LPG, as I am considering having a conversion done on mine when it arrives. I have allowed £1000 for the conversion, and have adjusted the petrol consumption from 35 MPG on petrol to 30 on LPG.

Based on these figures LPG gives the lowest cost over 10 years. It also avoids the issues affecting modern diesels with dual mass flywheels, particulate filters, injectors, glowplugs etc.

attachicon.gif
Capture.JPG

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

attachicon.gif
Capture.JPG

Do you have a company in mind capable of fitting the LPG system, as i will probably go that route subject to any warranty problems?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Well, the closest firm to me is Dorset LPG in Poole,

www.dorsetlpg.co.uk

...but I will be doing some research before I come to a final decision.

Maybe if enough people are interested we can arrange a special Duster deal?

I believe that the installation comes with some sort of warranty but I will need to read the small print.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts