UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gutted.

Our beloved big D - phase 2 Duster diesel is off the road at 12 months old.

Noticed a squealing noise which I presumed was maybe fanbelt ,when engine cold for the first 5 minutes of a drive.This was maybe 6 weeks ago when the wet weather started.

Took car in for its 12 month service 2 weeks ago(at 11,600 miles) Dacia main dealer charging £149.

Picked car up and asked what had been done?

Basically an oil and filter change and 25 point check. What about the pollen filter in the schedule I asked? Oh if you want that doing its extra £35. Told them straight I'm not paying more. I was told £149 for 1st year service and as pollen filter is on the schedule presumed this price was for everything.

Complained to Dacia C S and the upshot is Dacia paid for the pollen filter and the dealership were asked to clarify exactly what is being done for the £149 in future as it was misleading. Dacia C S were brilliant. Returned to have pollen filter fitted a week later and mentioned about the squealing noise. Advised it was a self adjusting belt and should adjust itself.

After waking half the neighbourhood up early one morning. I though this is embarrasing on a 64 plate. Booked it into another Dacia dealership nearby who within 5 minutes of checking found the engine was leaking oil from somewhere near the top of the engine. This was dropping on the cambelt and this was the squealing. I confirmed I had no warning lights over last few days.

Told we shouldn't drive it until repaired. So we left the car at the Dealers and after being told there were no courtesy cars until nearly Xmas began a long walk home (90 minutes). At no point were we offered a ride home or even asked how far we lived from the dealership.I thought this was poor service.

As soon as we got back I phoned Dacia CS who were shocked at this.

As I am a community nurse I need my car for work.

Dacia have now given me an Astra SRi hire car as they think it will take 7-10 days to strip the top of the engine , order the parts in depending on what is losing oil, and get it back on the road.

Sure enough when I checked the drive there is a golden brown stain of new engine oil under where the car parks right level with the engine. Can't believe I had not noticed it. I had checked the oil the day after service to check it wasn't overfilled and it was just below Maximum.

Has any other phase 2 Duster owners noticed a belt squeling noise with theirs?

Check your oil anyway.

Ours was one of the first Romanian ones in the country.

Also at the point we mentioned to the dealer about possible fanbelt squealing, he said you do know you only have 12 months warranty and we would have to pay. I told him we had 3 years warranty but he argued the 3 years only covers engine and gearbox. Is this true because my paperwork just says 3 years warranty and I presumed it would cover a faulty fanbelt.

The work has been now confirmed as warranty work and hence the car hire provided.

I absolutely love this car but am gutted this has happened at such a young age and hope it is a one-off!

I give Dacia C.S a thumbs up for sorting this out. They are going to investigate why it was not picked up on service.

So glad we got it checked out.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Yep that must check oil level and water level after each service before u leave garage even though they see u check it then they have no come back I had to go back in get them drain of engine oil 1and half LTS oil extra

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Gutted.

Our beloved big D - phase 2 Duster diesel is off the road at 12 months old.

Noticed a squealing noise which I presumed was maybe fanbelt ,when engine cold for the first 5 minutes of a drive.This was maybe 6 weeks ago when the wet weather started.

Took car in for its 12 month service 2 weeks ago(at 11,600 miles) Dacia main dealer charging £149.
Picked car up and asked what had been done?
Basically an oil and filter change and 25 point check. What about the pollen filter in the schedule I asked? Oh if you want that doing its extra £35. Told them straight I'm not paying more. I was told £149 for 1st year service and as pollen filter is on the schedule presumed this price was for everything.
Complained to Dacia C S and the upshot is Dacia paid for the pollen filter and the dealership were asked to clarify exactly what is being done for the £149 in future as it was misleading. Dacia C S were brilliant. Returned to have pollen filter fitted a week later and mentioned about the squealing noise. Advised it was a self adjusting belt and should adjust itself.

After waking half the neighbourhood up early one morning. I though this is embarrasing on a 64 plate. Booked it into another Dacia dealership nearby who within 5 minutes of checking found the engine was leaking oil from somewhere near the top of the engine. This was dropping on the cambelt and this was the squealing. I confirmed I had no warning lights over last few days.
Told we shouldn't drive it until repaired. So we left the car at the Dealers and after being told there were no courtesy cars until nearly Xmas began a long walk home (90 minutes). At no point were we offered a ride home or even asked how far we lived from the dealership.I thought this was poor service.
As soon as we got back I phoned Dacia CS who were shocked at this.
As I am a community nurse I need my car for work.
Dacia have now given me an Astra SRi hire car as they think it will take 7-10 days to strip the top of the engine , order the parts in depending on what is losing oil, and get it back on the road.
Sure enough when I checked the drive there is a golden brown stain of new engine oil under where the car parks right level with the engine. Can't believe I had not noticed it. I had checked the oil the day after service to check it wasn't overfilled and it was just below Maximum.
Has any other phase 2 Duster owners noticed a belt squeling noise with theirs?
Check your oil anyway.
Ours was one of the first Romanian ones in the country.
Also at the point we mentioned to the dealer about possible fanbelt squealing, he said you do know you only have 12 months warranty and we would have to pay. I told him we had 3 years warranty but he argued the 3 years only covers engine and gearbox. Is this true because my paperwork just says 3 years warranty and I presumed it would cover a faulty fanbelt.
The work has been now confirmed as warranty work and hence the car hire provided.
I absolutely love this car but am gutted this has happened at such a young age and hope it is a one-off!
I give Dacia C.S a thumbs up for sorting this out. They are going to investigate why it was not picked up on service.
So glad we got it checked out.
You will be best to avoid the original dealer in the future, sounds like they are as much use as a chocolate tea pot.... They sound like they are prob just pure con merchants...

If you wish to see the terms and conditions of the Dacia warranty they are here..
http://www.dacia.co.uk/media/owner-services/warranty/attfb42253e90b14e62b4aae3bca9046d45/Dacia_Warranty_Terms_and_Conditions_July_2015.pdf

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts
As for the engine fault, don't read too much into it, seals (assuming it is that) go on all makes of car all the time, that's why you get the warranty.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Shocking service. It would be a great idea to name the dealer so that we can all make a decision as to whether or not to use their services.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Bear in mind also, the 1.5dCi is not unique to the Duster, but is used on the entire range, as well as various Renault and Nissan models. So if it's a common fault, there should be plenty of reports on the various forums.

Sorry to hear this has happened to you, by the way, it does on the face of it appear you've been very unfortunate. Hopefully it will be dealt with in the correct manner...

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know Dacia read this and they know all what's gone on so...

The dealer who serviced the Duster were Dacia Bolton and we went there as the Stockport Dacia dealership where we bought the car was a shambles.

The customer service at Bolton seemed better so we took it there....and then we get charged extra for pollen filter.No real interest in checking the squealing noise.

That's why we went to Dacia Bury where they picked up on the leak in 5 minutes!

Apparently they can't check the car until Mon and parts will need ordering so it may be over a week of a job. Ok though as this little 15 plate Astra 1.4 SRi turbo is a nippy little thing but I still prefer my Duster! My fella wants rid of the Duster now to go back to japanese Nissan or Toyota but I'm digging my heels in and Big D stays.

Thanks for the warranty info Nessi and all your comments help. Will keep you guys posted.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
I know Dacia read this and they know all what's gone on so...
The dealer who serviced the Duster were Dacia Bolton and we went there as the Stockport Dacia dealership where we bought the car was a shambles.

The customer service at Bolton seemed better so we took it there....and then we get charged extra for pollen filter.No real interest in checking the squealing noise.

That's why we went to Dacia Bury where they picked up on the leak in 5 minutes!
Apparently they can't check the car until Mon and parts will need ordering so it may be over a week of a job. Ok though as this little 15 plate Astra 1.4 SRi turbo is a nippy little thing but I still prefer my Duster! My fella wants rid of the Duster now to go back to japanese Nissan or Toyota but I'm digging my heels in and Big D stays.
Thanks for the warranty info Nessi and all your comments help. Will keep you guys posted.
Looks like you was 3rd time Lucky when you got to the Bury Dealers. Bolton sound like money grabbing idiots that don't care less about real problems with customers cars I bet you will avoid them like the plague in the future.

Tell your Fella he can buy you a duster with a Nissan Badge on it if he is silly enough to spend a few more grand just to have a Nissan badge on it lol...
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/08/22/nissans-dacia-duster-based-terrano-revealed/

Hope Big D is returned to you soon all fixed and ready to roll again.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Mustn't generalise but I wonder if some Dacia dealers actually want to be Dacia dealers at all. Mine also sell Renault, Nissan, Citroen, Peugeot and Honda, and I get impression they're not keen on having had Dacia thrust upon them. Not wishing to be a burden by showing up at the dealership, I have emailed them twice about minor problems and had no reply. Needless to say, I won't extend my courtesy further and will be popping in to see them shortly.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Mustn't generalise but I wonder if some Dacia dealers actually want to be Dacia dealers at all. Mine also sell Renault, Nissan, Citroen, Peugeot and Honda, and I get impression they're not keen on having had Dacia thrust upon them. Not wishing to be a burden by showing up at the dealership, I have emailed them twice about minor problems and had no reply. Needless to say, I won't extend my courtesy further and will be popping in to see them shortly.
When I had a problem the AC dealership I bought from were very reluctant to help.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Bought my 63 phase 1 in Northampton and I had protection strips re glued twice and when I had a water leak in the Duster badge on the tailgate. They told me it was normal as they have checked it with another Duster in the carpark Got it checked out in another garage in Aldershot and it was sorted and they now get my business.

Always worth trying another dealer as some are a waste of space.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Big D is back!

Got a call this morning that they had a look at it Fri and got most of the work done Sat finishing off this morning. Really quick.

It was a leak from the camshaft oil seal so this has been replaced under warranty.

After googling - a few clios have had similar problems so worth noting for diesel owners, if you hear a belt squealing first thing in a morning - don't presume it's your fanbelt,it may be cambelt.

Oh and check your oil.

So glad to have my own car back though my fella wants rid now!

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Big D is back!
Got a call this morning that they had a look at it Fri and got most of the work done Sat finishing off this morning. Really quick.
It was a leak from the camshaft oil seal so this has been replaced under warranty.
After googling - a few clios have had similar problems so worth noting for diesel owners, if you hear a belt squealing first thing in a morning - don't presume it's your fanbelt,it may be cambelt.
Oh and check your oil.
So glad to have my own car back though my fella wants rid now!
Good Stuff, Looks like you managed to get it fixed by a much more competent dealer than the original one...

Tell your fella to stop being nasty to your pride and joy before you trade him in for a hassle free model. lmao.

·
Registered
985 Posts
The modern engine curse... PU seals. A simple fix which normally costs a fortune due to their location. Once replaced no reason to think that it would ever happen again.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Les

When the Renault group announced in early 2012 that it intended to bring one or two of the Dacia range to the UK and Ireland it was on the understanding that it would never be a 'stand alone' brand due to the low profit margins and that if a dealer wanted to sell Renault/Nissan cars and vans then it had to sell Dacia along side them. Basically saying you sell the three brands or none at all.

That's why so many forum members experience woeful brand knowledge and product indifference as salespersons make far more comession on a Renault/Nissan sale.

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
Les
When the Renault group announced in early 2012 that it intended to bring one or two of the Dacia range to the UK and Ireland it was on the understanding that it would never be a 'stand alone' brand due to the low profit margins and that if a dealer wanted to sell Renault/Nissan cars and vans then it had to sell Dacia along side them. Basically saying you sell the three brands or none at all.
That's why so many forum members experience woeful brand knowledge and product indifference as salespersons make far more comession on a Renault/Nissan sale.
...couldn't have put it better myself: my own local dealer has an established Renault/Nissan operation, and Dacia is very much an add-on, taking up very little showroom space - which reflects the low margins on sales...

...I also suspect that many Dacia buyers are a bit more canny than buyers of established (dearer) brands - we've done the maths before we bought our Dacias, and we'll do the maths again when we need servicing or parts etc...

Joe

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all ,

I had exactly the same problem with the cabin filter at Motorline Renault (Maidstone).

After contacting Dacia C/S I received a refund and an apology.

However the Duster has just gone out of warranty and I have done its 3rd service myself,

and I know its been done!

On attempting to change the pollen filter I was amazed to find I cannot find a replacement for it.

The filter I have taken out is a " 90 . 25509 BEHR U9585001 micronAir "

218mm x 197mm x 20mm. Its is a paper only product and does not have a frame.

Does anyone know where I can obtain one?

Many thanks KMS

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hello all ,

I had exactly the same problem with the cabin filter at Motorline Renault (Maidstone).

After contacting Dacia C/S I received a refund and an apology.

However the Duster has just gone out of warranty and I have done its 3rd service myself,

and I know its been done!

On attempting to change the pollen filter I was amazed to find I cannot find a replacement for it.

The filter I have taken out is a " 90 . 25509 BEHR U9585001 micronAir "

218mm x 197mm x 20mm. Its is a paper only product and does not have a frame.

Does anyone know where I can obtain one?

Many thanks KMS
Hi Guy's ...

Interesting topic here, I myself have one of these Dusters with the filter size difference ..

I have a main dealer service receipt for a cabin filter change and the wrong size part number in the bill
having picked this 2013 car up in 2019 @ 68,500 miles ...

I have three other service receipts from an independent car place in Winchester stating that cabin filter changed ...

So I thought i'd just check the filter condition ... You guessed it, the car still has the original 7 year old Dacia filter fitted
BEHR U9585001 a carbon impregnated filter ... complete with 7 years of shit stuffed full of seeds and insects ...

You might be interested in the below part numbers as a replacement ...

Cross references

AMC Filter NC-2034
FEBI BILSTEIN 103814
FILTROS TECFIL ACP554
FILTROS VOX FAC554
FRAM CFA11739
BORG & BECK BFC1243
BLUE PRINT ADG02554
BLUE PRINT ADN12547
HENGST FILTER E5947LI
KAVO PARTS NC-2034
KNECHT LA 1274
MAGNETI MARELLI 154072451281
MAHLE ORIGINAL LA 1274, LA 665
MANN-FILTER CU 22 019
METAL LEVE LA 665
MULLER FILTER FK523
SAKURA Automotive CA-25100
STELLOX 71-10220-SX
SWAG 82 10 3814
WILMINK GROUP WG1916602

OEM references

DACIA 272773223R
NISSAN 2789100Q0B
RENAULT 272773223R

All the filters above will fit the below dimensions ...

Length: 215 mm
Width: 200 mm
Height: 20 mm

·
Registered
196 Posts
@tipsyhedgehog Ouch, that's a dear first service!

Our local dealer, Drake's at Shiptonthorpe, East Yorks quoted me £99 for the 1st (A) service, which seems about the norm. That includes the pollen filter, that she basically says is a checkover with the pollen filter change. I have the 1.3 petrol 2020.

It does not include the oil change as that is done at the B service. For them to charge you extra for the pollen filter when it is part of that first service is a bleeding cheek, and I would avoid them like the plague!

Funnily, Dacia Bolton (someone mentioned) is where I got my car, as it was a bargain, but at 2hrs away, I am glad not to be taking it there for servicing by the sound of it!!!

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 22 Posts