UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes polish not Polish :D ,on my second punto and fairly sure it will be replaced with a stepway,the thing is in nearly 8 years and two puntos i have never polished one,never needed to they both came with a pre applied gloss coat of something ?even if it was left a few months a quick soap and rinse and it was like new.

I don't expect the Dacia to have this coating so is there any polish which will give a similar protection and hopefully not be a problem if it gets on the black trim areas.

mike

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
Pretty sure the dealer asked if i wanted it
At added expense...obviously
Id phone and ask them
DM x

Silvery silver is the shiniest !

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Every time I'v bought a new car I always get the hard sell for these paint protectors and if I'm being honest I think their a waste of money and more of a commission opportunity for the sales person

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Every time I'v bought a new car I always get the hard sell for these paint protectors and if I'm being honest I think their a waste of money and more of a commission opportunity for the sales person
You could be right but not in my case,didnt get my car washed for six months,no joke the truth it had tree sap,coal dust from the house hold fire smoke and general dirt on it,took it to one of these wash your car for £6 places,the guy there in broken English told me he wouldn't be able to get it clean,i said i would risk £6 it came out like new.

Horses for courses

·
Registered
895 Posts
I have never ever Polished my Logan 8 years this year

its red and non metallic and it is just like on day 1 I go to the hand wash and rinse it then shampoo wash it then spray it with hot wax (Yes Polish but no work involved) then wash it off with deionized water and the car has kept very well

·
Registered
149 Posts
These 'protective coatings' are really good, especially if you live in a hot country. It should help to prevent the paint from 'blooming' especially if you have flat / non-metallic finishes.

Personally, I prefer to get out there once in a while with a decent polish - something with carnuba wax wax in it works a dream - that way I can spot any imperfections in the paint or, more importantly, stone chips. With a glossy protective coating you may never see them until they start to rust as you never get close enough to the bodywork :blink:

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
These 'protective coatings' are really good, especially if you live in a hot country. It should help to prevent the paint from 'blooming' especially if you have flat / non-metallic finishes.

Personally, I prefer to get out there once in a while with a decent polish - something with carnuba wax wax in it works a dream - that way I can spot any imperfections in the paint or, more importantly, stone chips. With a glossy protective coating you may never see them until they start to rust as you never get close enough to the bodywork :blink:
Carnuba ? not just an advertising con then, is it good

·
Registered
68 Posts
As a detailed/valeter who has just placed an order for a Stepway I'm reading these comments with interest! One of my biggest suppliers has a great website for car care advice here http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/car-care-advice.html if that doesn't tell you what you need to know I don't know what will. The basic point I should mention is the difference between polish, wax and sealant, all very different but often confused. Polish is usually a mild abrasive designed to remove minor blemishes but often contains some wax to protect afterwards. Most car waxes are have a carnauba content and vary wildly but will provide protection and look good. Sealants are synthetic, usually last longer than wax. I'm sure this conversation will go on but hopefully this helps. I'm new here so tell me to shut up if you like!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Carnuba ? not just an advertising con then, is it good
It's the same stuff they use to make Smarties shiny :lol:

I think different things work well for different people - as RogerD says, the sealants are really good - the surface should be clean and I mean REALLY clean, otherwise you are going to seal in the grime. So, polish can be used to do that whereas others prefer to 'clay' the surface. Again, it's a mild abrasive that removes a fine layer of the colour to reveal the 'new' paint underneath.

Once done, apply the sealer and you're good to go. I think these sealants work really well in hot, sunny countries as the water doesn't 'bead' when it rains and it simply flows right off.

Waxing can cause water beading, which in sunny weather means the beads act as tiny magnifying glasses which in turn can give issues with the paint. Also, waxing should not be done in bright or direct sunlight - the surface of the paint becomes hot and 'soft' so when polishing you can remove more than just the fine layer that you want to - same goes for claying too.

So I guess it comes down to what you want, need or can afford!

One thing I've never really understood though, and RogerD might be able to help here, but metallic paints usually have lacquer on them as a final coat - should we bother about the type of polish / wax we use on these coatings?

·
Registered
68 Posts
For something like the last fifteen years all paints whether metallic or solid have a clear coat. So all treatments can be applied to any paint. The differences lie in how long you want the protection to last, how glossy or reflective you want it, how much you're prepared to pay and whether or not you actually enjoy waxing. Another factor is the colour as some products will work better with one colour than another. Also some manufacturers paints are soft and others hard. When my Stepway arrives I'm going to a long hard look and decide which road to go down. Probably sealant because I need to keep it clean (it's a bad advert otherwise!) and my wife will use it regularly on muddy Norfolk lanes.

I can talk about this all day but I'll probably do a full description of the work I do and post it for others to see when it's done.

·
Registered
457 Posts
For something like the last fifteen years all paints whether metallic or solid have a clear coat. So all treatments can be applied to any paint. The differences lie in how long you want the protection to last, how glossy or reflective you want it, how much you're prepared to pay and whether or not you actually enjoy waxing. Another factor is the colour as some products will work better with one colour than another. Also some manufacturers paints are soft and others hard. When my Stepway arrives I'm going to a long hard look and decide which road to go down. Probably sealant because I need to keep it clean (it's a bad advert otherwise!) and my wife will use it regularly on muddy Norfolk lanes.

I can talk about this all day but I'll probably do a full description of the work I do and post it for others to see when it's done.
Norfolk you say? Maybe I need your help with Lola the Logan!

Sent from my HTC One S using DaciaForum.co.uk mobile app

·
Registered
457 Posts
Not seen a Logan around but then it's a big county! I'm near Diss.
We have a fledgling 'Norfolk Broads' regional group here on the forum. We let boys in though...

My Logan can mostly be seen on the A11, A47 or in Norwich!

·
Premium Member
4,020 Posts
I never had the 'hard sell'. I was given brochures on Gen 3 GlassCoat paint protection (£199) and also GAP insurance (£350) after we agreed the sale and advised to read them at home and telephone the sales man before delivery if I required them. I had the Gen 3 but not the GAP insurance! I later purchased GAP from GAP123 at £79 for 3 years. ;)

·
Registered
68 Posts
We have a fledgling 'Norfolk Broads' regional group here on the forum. We let boys in though...

My Logan can mostly be seen on the A11, A47 or in Norwich!

Will keep my eyes open, we're often in and out of Norwich. Can't seem to get in to the Norfolk forum though.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts