UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 65 reg diesel duster struggling to get over 50mpg. By no means am I a boy racer and in previous cars have prided myself in very economical driving. At the moment the car is at the dealers for tests. They seem to be suggesting that this level is consumption is acceptable. Please could other owners give examples of what figures they are getting.
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Hi mikeyd + I have a 65 reg Duster 4x4 DCI and I'm getting 59 mpg average. It's only done 1200 miles so I'm hoping to get more when it loosens up. Like you don't race around, change up at earliest opportunity and use ECO most of the time.75% of my mileage is on motorways.

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts
You can see from my left panel that I used to get a little over 48mpg in my 4x2 Duster. I didn't try very hard to get more but I'm not an aggressive driver either.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I get between 5.8 and 6.2 ltrs/100kms (45-49mpg) on total mixed driving which I think is remarkable for a vehicle with a drag coefficient of 0.42. How things have changed since our Isuzu Trooper which you could just squeeze 30mpg if you were VERY careful.

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
hi mikeyd...

you've not mentioned if you have a 4x4 or a 4x2 model

these things can dramatically affect the mpg on your duster

also....are you still running it in? again fuel consumption vastly improves after its run in ...

what do you drive, and whats the mileage?

DM x

·
Registered
16 Posts
14 plate Duster diesel 4x4, mostly urban driving with drive set to auto, but use lock during all this heavy rain and other bad weather, so average 45mpg. Quite happy with that.

Best to date was 52mpg on a long motorway run sticking to around 65mph.

Used to have a Freelander and best I ever got out of that was 36mpg.

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
hi para1966....

i have a ph 1 duster 4x4 and live in scotland...i use 4x2 mode most of the time and turn it up to auto for heavy rain...and save 4x4 for snow and mud...

I average 48 to 52 mpg...all the time..(arob is SERIOUSLY jealous of this...just saying ! )

the lock mode is reserved for serious offroading...and automatically resorts to auto mode if you exceed 50mph...im curious if the roads of St Helens are really this bad :D :lol: :D

DM x

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for those replies!
The car is 2wd euro 6 stop start, the Dacia blurb says 62 - 65 mpg it has done just over 4K miles so is well run in. I would be happy if I was getting a similar return to what RichT is getting but my figures are on a par with what others seem to be getting from euro 5 engines. Any more advice welcomed. Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Thanks for those replies!
The car is 2wd euro 6 stop start, the Dacia blurb says 62 - 65 mpg it has done just over 4K miles so is well run in. I would be happy if I was getting a similar return to what RichT is getting but my figures are on a par with what others seem to be getting from euro 5 engines. Any more advice welcomed. Thanks!!
Hi, I have a 65 2wd euro6 duster, 3 months old now, 1400 miles on the clock, never use Eco at the moment and getting 50-52 mpg. I never use supermarket fuel as on my golf 2.0 TDI that used to knock 4-5 mpg off the average mpg. I have noticed that on motorway runs the duster goes up rapidly to 55/56 mpg. From my previous experience with the golf, it should continue to get better as the engine loosens up. When I passed the golf on at 90,000 on the clock, it would regularly manage 65mpg on motorways and 55 around town so I am hopeful the Duster will show a similar improvement.

·
Registered
985 Posts
My Euro 5 4x4 averages mid-low 40s (calculated, not off of the wildly inaccurate trip computer) but since having had it's first service I'm now struggling to hit 40 mpg! Same journey/routes, fuel, driving style, Something's not right!

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
...my euro 5 Duster Ambiance 2wd has averaged 49.2mpg over it's first 8k miles: I'd love to crack the 50mpg barrier long term, rather than just on the occasional fill...

...that said, I'm getting over 600 miles between fills, and consumption is a darn sight better than the 37mpg I used to get from my 1.6 petrol Suzuki SX4!

Joe

p.s. most of my mileage is commuting and/or single carriageway country roads: we don't have much motorway over here, and what there is doesn't really go where I need it to!...

·
Registered
985 Posts
My Euro 5 4x4 averages mid-low 40s (calculated, not off of the wildly inaccurate trip computer) but since having had it's first service I'm now struggling to hit 40 mpg! Same journey/routes, fuel, driving style, Something's not right!
...and the official line from the dealer...it's due to the cooler weather. Nothing more will be done.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Winter diesel gives poorer MPG due to changes to prevent gelling, also diesels are inefficient till they reach the correct operating temperature, they over fuel, so your dealer does have a some basis for his assertion.
Agreed, but the same journeys this time last year in colder conditions were producing results in the mid to high 40s.

·
Registered
985 Posts
widu13

Have the 4X4 with 5500 miles on the clock and getting 45.8 MPG and that does not include motorway.
That's useful thanks. My driving style is "progressive" and I'm running on All Terrains which robs 2-4mpg. Pre service I was getting low-mid 40s, averaging 44mpg. Immediately after the service I'm struggling around the 38mpg mark. Oil level okay so any other suggestions welcomed. BTW I'm running my tyres at 31psi.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Update...yesterday I re-fitted my winter grill cover. I have done 114 miles over the last 2 days and I topped off the tank tonight and I have returned to my normal 44mpg. Not extremely conclusive due to so few mile but I was dying to know now- so, it looks like covering the grill does have a positive effect (this was a long debated topic on here last year).

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
Update...yesterday I re-fitted my winter grill cover...so, it looks like covering the grill does have a positive effect.
...any chance of pics / source / measurements etc., as it sounds like something worth trying...

cheers

Joe

1 - 20 of 75 Posts