UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

Long time lurker/reader - first time poster.

I've been hovering around the Duster for a while now. I'm looking for a utilitarian vehicle to take the rough and tumble of fast and furious family life with three boys, and somewhere to sit for 2 hours a day on my 110 mile commute. I currently do this in a 15 year old Toyota Avensis which takes absolutely everything I throw at it. And more. I'm quietly confident it will never ever give me a reason to sell it, but I keep finding myself coming back to the Duster. If it ticks all boxes, and seeing as the Avensis owes me nothing, I will buy a Duster and keep the Avensis too.

Anyway, I have a couple of concerns/queries/enquiries.

1) Has anyone done some serious mileage in one yet? I know they're quite new to our roads, but it's not beyond the realms that someone has put some impressive numbers on the clock. (I know the temptation is to say "yeeeh my car's done 5,000 miles fault free, but I'm really looking for someone who's done some good hard miles - 60k+). I do 35,000 a year and I'm keen to see just how durable the WHOLE package is, not just the tried and tested engine etc.

2) Rust. I think I read that it mostly effects white cars. Then I saw this on eBay with rust evident around the lamps. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2013-DACIA-DUSTER-1-5-dCi-ONLY-4172-MILES-DAMAGED-SALVAGE-CAT-D-not-QASHQAI-/321359044318?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item4ad27ddede Anyone anything to add?

3) Comfort. How are they day in day out, especially with three kids in the back? Enough width when childseats come into play? Enough grunt to make progress with 5 on board?

Hope to hear your experiences

Danno

·
Events Committee Member
1,022 Posts
Hi Danno, can't help with the mileage question, only done 6500.
Had no problem with rust, thoroughly checked all seams removed all rubber seals all clear
As for comfort, had two adults in the front two in the rear with food and clothing for the weekend and a twelve and a half stone St Bernard in the boot everyone had space and was comfortable and the car still pulled like a train. No problems there either
Hope this helps when you "do the maths"

·
Registered
41 Posts
with regards to the rust........the only reason why there is rust on that ebay one is due to the damage and the fact that it has been sitting with exposed/crumpled metal work. that actual duster is actually a bargain as it will be fully repaired for about £1500
I wouldn't want to risk a repair on that duster, looks like a fairly hard front impact and the crumple zone may have started to do its job. I check if the cat D rating was because of this or just because they couldn't get hold of parts in time to cut down on courtesy car rental.

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts
I think the best thing for you to do is test drive one with the kids and what not in the back, there's loads of room and I find it very comfortable but I never ride in the back.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Check to see if the parts are available and the lead times . One person on the forum had to have a second hand exhaust put on after an accident due to none being available in the UK. You may have to hunt around breakers yards to find everything you will need . The rust showing is not in the "normal " duster locations so this is accident related . I have a 4 x 2 petrol so can not answer about the power of the diesel , but most comments on here are favourable . hope that helps .

·
Registered
219 Posts
I can see your concerns with your original post regarding the rust around the headlamps, it looks more like where the car has creased on impact and lost its paint and the rust has later developed.

I have the Granite grey the same as the eBay picture and there are no issues with rust, it is a 4x4 diesel and it has bags of low end grunt at 240Nm of torque and 109hp, I regularly tow a 900kg caravan and a car full of caravanning paraphernalia with no problems at all. Mileage wise its not in the 65,000 mark, mine has only done 9000 trouble free motoring miles..... :)

Also bear in mind the diesel is a cheap car to run, low tax, low fuel consumption, and cheap servicing

1 - 6 of 6 Posts