UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From what I've read my '22 Duster 4x4 should be reasonably well set, but I have to plan on keeping it long term.

What things have Dacia 'cheaped out' on to keep the price low? What preventative maintenance are people undertaking; additional rust proofing, protection of vulnerable components etc. ?

Are there known issues yet, e.g. like on a Trafic where the rain pools on the injectors ?

Would welcome your thoughts - I live in a heavily salted area and expect to be washing off the underside regularly for 6 months of the year.

·
Registered
25 Posts
One of the things that has effectively ruined Renaults my family have owned in the past is the drain holes under the scuttle blocking up with leaves and mud. This then causes the scuttle to fill with water which comes into the car, soaks the carpet and ruins the electrics.

It takes about 20 minutes to remove the plastic scuttle and clear them out, but previous owners have never bothered. One thing I always do when I hoover the car is lift the bonnet and hoover all the leaves and bits of plant that have accumulated under the bonnet.

I assume there will be similar drain holes on Dacia's unless Renault have totally changed the design.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yeah I've got dead Peugeots from that kicking around so will be checking out the scuttle panel.
What is the Sc
Yeah I've got dead Peugeots from that kicking around so will be checking out the scuttle panel.
[/QUOTE
[/QUOTE
One of the things that has effectively ruined Renaults my family have owned in the past is the drain holes under the scuttle blocking up with leaves and mud. This then causes the scuttle to fill with water which comes into the car, soaks the carpet and ruins the electrics.

It takes about 20 minutes to remove the plastic scuttle and clear them out, but previous owners have never bothered. One thing I always do when I hoover the car is lift the bonnet and hoover all the leaves and bits of plant that have accumulated under the bonnet.

I assume there will be similar drain holes on Dacia's unless Renault have totally changed the design.
What is the Scuttle panel?

·
Registered
Oct 2013 Sandero Ambiance 1.2
2,257 Posts
The scuttle is between the engine bay and the windscreen. It is where the wiper motor usually lives. It is also where the ventilation air intake is. The Americans call it the cowl.

·
Registered
25 Posts
What is the Scuttle panel?
It's the piece of plastic under the windscreen where the wipers poke out out, it is also where the air for the heating system comes in from. All of the leaves and detritus from trees will collect there as well as all of the dirt washed in from the rain. there will be a couple of drain holes with tubes attached to them which allow the water to escape when it rains. What happens over time is all the decomposing leaves and dirt clog these drain holes which means the scuttle fills with water and it eventually comes in though the air inlet for the heating. This will especially be bad if you have been parking your car under trees.

The sound deadening and carpet soak this up like a sponge which leads to the car constantly misting up and potential electrical issues as the cables under the carpet start to oxidise due to the moisture. If they are clogged up the best way to clear them is by using an old net curtain rod as this is exactly the right size.

On old Renault Scenics and Meganes it gets so bad that the under floor storage bins can contain an inch of water.

If you ever walk past a car on a damp day and see masses of condensation on the inside of the windows then it is almost certain that water is getting into the car.

Looks like it has been covered on here before Scuttle valves blocked

·
Registered
123 Posts
My last car was
It's the piece of plastic under the windscreen where the wipers poke out out, it is also where the air for the heating system comes in from. All of the leaves and detritus from trees will collect there as well as all of the dirt washed in from the rain. there will be a couple of drain holes with tubes attached to them which allow the water to escape when it rains. What happens over time is all the decomposing leaves and dirt clog these drain holes which means the scuttle fills with water and it eventually comes in though the air inlet for the heating. This will especially be bad if you have been parking your car under trees.

The sound deadening and carpet soak this up like a sponge which leads to the car constantly misting up and potential electrical issues as the cables under the carpet start to oxidise due to the moisture. If they are clogged up the best way to clear them is by using an old net curtain rod as this is exactly the right size.

On old Renault Scenics and Meganes it gets so bad that the under floor storage bins can contain an inch of water.

If you ever walk past a car on a damp day and see masses of condensation on the inside of the windows then it is almost certain that water is getting into the car.

Looks like it has been covered on here before Scuttle valves blocked
My last car which I owned for 9 years has always parked under a mature Oak all the time that I owned it and and every year in autumn the scuttle area collected a large amount of falling leaves. At random time it occurred to me to clean these leaves out. Yet in all this time I never had any problem with rainwater entering In the car . So this problem seems to avoided if the car is designed to overcome this hazard, ( the car was a vauxhall Meriva)

I have a new Sandero 2020 model bought this year so now that this potential hazard has been flagged up I will regularly check this area.
Clearly, in my opinion ,if a problem is experienced in a newish car it should be considered a design fault.

To answer your question of potential weakness that might lead to future problems being very old i have owned
several cars that have eventually suffered from corrosion . This problem can be expensive to repair so anti corosion treatment in my view has to be a feature of the car . Many car makes declare what this is in their advertisement. so can it is part of the contract. Dacia don't have such promotions so you have to take their reputation on this feature.
I have looked at the warranty and am little disappointed. One area clearly visible are the car door doors at the bottom where the water drains out . Most if not all car manufacturers recognise this area as a likely corrosion area and take precautions to treat it. My car has no evidence of this treatment . Dacia have told me that the door should have wax treatment injection. So I have plans to try to do this myself , like yourself I'd like to consider this as a long term purchase.

Ambvol

·
Registered
25 Posts
My current car while I wait for my Stepway to be built is a 15 year old Renault Megane. There is not a spot of rust on the car and it even has the original exhaust. None of the bolts under the car are corroded and the brake pipes still have the original green protective coating on them.

I really hope the Dacia has as good corrosion protection as the 15 year old Renault does.

·
Registered
123 Posts
My current car while I wait for my Stepway to be built is a 15 year old Renault Megane. There is not a spot of rust on the car and it even has the original exhaust. None of the bolts under the car are corroded and the brake pipes still have the original green protective coating on them.

I really hope the Dacia has as good corrosion protection as the 15 year old Renault does.

I hope that too - I have just bought a new Sandero, but I ,like Loseone, think the same . Remember the question implied in the start of the postings . The question set was has anything been done to the DACIA that makes Dacia cars so much cheaper than other cars. but makes them less durable. Have corners been cut to achieve the excellent value for the Dacia price ( my words)

Yes Dacia cars have a Renault heritage and use Renault parts. The cars however are not the same and produced in different factory's and countries . I assume that many parts are different and designed perhaps for better assembly or use of materials. Specifications for components and processes and quality control and tolerances could be different. They could be different to make them cost less.

Let's also remember that in the quest for the holy grail of the best mpg ,all components have been reduced in weight on the current generation of cars will this make them less durable than yesterday's cars.

Ambvol

·
Registered
Oct 2013 Sandero Ambiance 1.2
2,257 Posts
If you searched the forum instead of speculating you would find the answers.

Briefly the Dacias in the UK use the M0 platform developed from the B0 platform used in the Clio III and others. A version of the M0 platform is used in the Nissan Leaf.

All the running gear and electronics and most switches controls etc come from the Renault parts box a lot are Clio III or IV with a few Nissan thrown in as in the 4x4 Dusters.

The new cars are Clio V under the skin presumably to get the most out of the platform before the 2030 cut off. Hence the price increases to move closer to "proper" Renaults.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I hope that too - I have just bought a new Sandero, but I ,like Loseone, think the same . Remember the question implied in the start of the postings . The question set was has anything been done to the DACIA that makes Dacia cars so much cheaper than other cars. but makes them less durable. Have corners been cut to achieve the excellent value for the Dacia price ( my words)

Yes Dacia cars have a Renault heritage and use Renault parts. The cars however are not the same and produced in different factory's and countries . I assume that many parts are different and designed perhaps for better assembly or use of materials. Specifications for components and processes and quality control and tolerances could be different. They could be different to make them cost less.

Let's also remember that in the quest for the holy grail of the best mpg ,all components have been reduced in weight on the current generation of cars will this make them less durable than yesterday's cars.

Ambvol
Correction
lighter weight does not necessarily mean less durability . eg thinner steel bodywork but higher strength steel and not all components have changed in the latest generation of Dacia models. The question that begs an answer in this bodywork subject would be then has this thinner material sufficient anti corrosion protection to protect the thinner material . Perhaps with 2030 not far ahead a decision has been made that cars do not need to last as long as yesterday's cars.

Ambvol

·
Registered
25 Posts
The new cars are Clio V under the skin presumably to get the most out of the platform before the 2030 cut off. Hence the price increases to move closer to "proper" Renaults.
You raise an interesting point, surely the new Sandero is actually taking sales away from the Clio? The cheapest Clio is £18,795 and the Sandero in Comfort spec is £12,295. Considering you are getting the exact same engine and gearbox I am not really sure why you would pay the extra £6500?

I am sure the Clio is nicer to live with than the Sandero and has more tech, but is it really 50% better?

·
Premium Member
2020 Sandero Stepway, 1977 MGB Roadster
376 Posts
While the Sandero may well be taking some sales from Renault, you have to compare the Sandero with its competitors, price-wise, from PSA etc. who are taking a bigger hit. Here in France, the Sandero is second only to the Clio in the best-selling list, and Dacias in general are very popular.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Clearly, in my opinion ,if a problem is experienced in a newish car it should be considered a design fault
I think all cars pretty much will have some weak spots and these can usually be considered design flaws to some extent. Some will come to the fore earlier than others, and some will be easier to spot. I put a relay for the live feed for the starter for my 205 a few months ago; many people did that when the cars were 7 years old and mine made it to 31 before it needed it, but the fault and remedial action were both well known. The difficulty with a new car is that often these faults haven't yet been spotted.

I live in an area with significant salt spreading (we had lying snow for close to 12 weeks the other winter) so the rust proofing will be probably the biggest concern, but I usually run a few 20-35 year old cars so am not afraid to get involved with treating brown bits. I'm a bit reluctant to start protecting it now before the anti corrosion inspections have taken place, but I may well do in key areas anyway.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Possibly, but some weight loss is not normally a bad thing. The steel the duster is made from is certainly as thick as my 205 or my 20 year old 106 for that matter. Modern construction techniques allow for the bloated 00s era to be overcome and retain the shell strength which didn't exist when sub ton cars were common.

As for the corrosion resistance, I guess I'll have to see!

·
Registered
123 Posts
From what I've read my '22 Duster 4x4 should be reasonably well set, but I have to plan on keeping it long term.

What things have Dacia 'cheaped out' on to keep the price low? What preventative maintenance are people undertaking; additional rust proofing, protection of vulnerable components etc. ?

Are there known issues yet, e.g. like on a Trafic where the rain pools on the injectors ?

Would welcome your thoughts - I live in a heavily salted area and expect to be washing off the underside regularly for 6 months of the year.
Technically "Preventative Maintenance" is the planned replacement of parts that are known to fail due age before this event occurs IE any belts, chain drives, pumps etc. In the maintenance schedule for the car these items are listed .
I think what you are asking about is extra precautions that owners from their own experience have had some problems with which could have been avoided at an early stage.

One recent report of a 4 year old car showing extensive signs of early corrosion brings the subject into focus again .
Yes , many owners of Dacia cars donkeys years old can report no corrosion . ipso facto Dacia cars don't corrode ?
Does your common sense tell you that must be true. Is Dacias inspection so fool proof that every car passing final inspection is exactly as specified ? Is the inspection plan so rigorous that every car that leaves the factory cannot have anything wrong with it .

Owners of older Dacia car who point out they have had no problems and say that that new Dacia are based on Renault components that have a proven reliability are right. Any problems that do occur are in the parts that have changed on newer cars. such as the product techniques, body design changes , where the vehicle was assembled. Over the years many changes can occur.

in my case I have a 3 month old Sandero access which is the 2020 model . its Sandero 3 latest shape cost £8000.

My car has disappointedly failed to start on three occasion. My last car which 11 years old only failed once due to the battery dying. Another similar report recently was from someone who had experienced battery problems and had 2 batteries replaced. I suspect both my problem and the battery problem report were issues with the program in the body ECU. Hopefully these early problems have now been resolved.

Going back to corrosion which was specifically mentioned in the start posting .
I can recommend new owners give a critical inspection of all areas of the of the body work to see if any
parts of car might not have any visible protection from the elements .
eg . I am disappointed that the front wings of my car have no protection on the underside edges. Perhaps the wings are galvanised ? A simple life extending solution if they are not might be to have plastic wheel arch protectors fitted as on the more expensive models. I note that the wings are very simple, and seem a DIY replacement job
I am also concerned about possible future crevice corrosion in the bottom of the doors. At some point in the future I might inspect the inside of the joints to see what's been done and treat if needed.

Ambvol

·
Registered
123 Posts
Technically "Preventative Maintenance" is the planned replacement of parts that are known to fail due age before this event occurs IE any belts, chain drives, pumps etc. In the maintenance schedule for the car these items are listed .
I think what you are asking about is extra precautions that owners from their own experience have had some problems with which could have been avoided at an early stage.

One recent report of a 4 year old car showing extensive signs of early corrosion brings the subject into focus again .
Yes , many owners of Dacia cars donkeys years old can report no corrosion . ipso facto Dacia cars don't corrode ?
Does your common sense tell you that must be true. Is Dacias inspection so fool proof that every car passing final inspection is exactly as specified ? Is the inspection plan so rigorous that every car that leaves the factory cannot have anything wrong with it .

Owners of older Dacia car who point out they have had no problems and say that that new Dacia are based on Renault components that have a proven reliability are right. Any problems that do occur are in the parts that have changed on newer cars. such as the product techniques, body design changes , where the vehicle was assembled. Over the years many changes can occur.

in my case I have a 3 month old Sandero access which is the 2020 model . its Sandero 3 latest shape cost £8000.

My car has disappointedly failed to start on three occasion. My last car which 11 years old only failed once due to the battery dying. Another similar report recently was from someone who had experienced battery problems and had 2 batteries replaced. I suspect both my problem and the battery problem report were issues with the program in the body ECU. Hopefully these early problems have now been resolved.

Going back to corrosion which was specifically mentioned in the start posting .
I can recommend new owners give a critical inspection of all areas of the of the body work to see if any
parts of car might not have any visible protection from the elements .
eg . I am disappointed that the front wings of my car have no protection on the underside edges. Perhaps the wings are galvanised ? A simple life extending solution if they are not might be to have plastic wheel arch protectors fitted as on the more expensive models. I note that the wings are very simple, and seem a DIY replacement job
I am also concerned about possible future crevice corrosion in the bottom of the doors. At some point in the future I might inspect the inside of the joints to see what's been done and treat if needed.

Ambvol
PS DACIA have just replied to a question on door hinge lubrication.

There is no lubrication of the door hinges in the servicing of Dacia cars

How usual ! I think I will ask is there any objection to lubricating the hinges with the normal (?) lubricant) .

·
Premium Member
Azurite Blue Sandero Stepway dCi 63 plate (2013) with permanent dashboard illumination.
4,177 Posts
PS DACIA have just replied to a question on door hinge lubrication.

There is no lubrication of the door hinges in the servicing of Dacia cars

How usual ! I think I will ask is there any objection to lubricating the hinges with the normal (?) lubricant) .
I lubricate the door hinges, every now and then, with spray grease just to be safe ! :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts