UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of getting a cheap one off dvla .anyone know if I can get it so the car comes with it new or do I have to wait until its registered then redo it ?
I asked the dealer and got a blank look ..had a few of those so far lol
Sorry if thats a silly question :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
If it is bought from dvla and then put on the car it can be done direct first time. Givethe certificate with the reg on it from dvla to the dealer. he can then make the plates up and arrange for the reg doc with that numer to be issed forbthe new car. You don't need a 13 reg first. but if you transfer it from an existing car it will take at least 10 days. As you will have to send old car docs reg doc, mot, copy of tax disc and £80 of to dvla. Then when they process it you will get your certificate to say you can transfer the reg.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info I'm gonna go for it then its a new one from dvla and never been on a car I'll call my dealer in the morning and tell him

·
Nurse Juju
1,342 Posts
Good plan, I was going to do the same with my reg but if I get a 63 plate I may have that for 6mths before changing it but I do have a cunning plan to try and buy the demo to pick up later in the year

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
My Dealer said that it would add two weeks to the delivery date if I were to use a number that I have on retention!

·
Sandero Forum Moderator
861 Posts
We had a private plate that read "smiffs" (well sort of) and the bloody thing was cursed!

Every car we put it on broke down! We don't bother with them now :lol:

·
Registered
382 Posts
My Dealer said that it would add two weeks to the delivery date if I were to use a number that I have on retention!
He may be right, but I don't know... it smacks of can't be bothered with extra paper work to me

·
Registered
115 Posts
He may be right, but I don't know... it smacks of can't be bothered with extra paper work to me
Yes i agree, i had my plate on retention, didn't delay sorting out the delivery at all, only handed it to the dealer 2 days before pick up.

Only the paperwork may take a couple of weeks to come back from the DVLA, didn't stop my dealer taxing the car.

It will take longer if you're part ex'ing a car with private plate to swap onto a new one as it can't be done at a local DVLA office now, has to be sent to Swansea.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The dealer is not correct if it is the first registration of the number purchased from dvla. Eg you have the certificate from dvla in your hand it just like him taking a numer from his allocated list from dvla.
It will add two weeks if it is being taken from one car to the next if you are trading it in. When you have the retention cert that allows you to have number plates made same as taking in the log book to get them made up. It also allows the dealer to register it. My dealer did it all for use to transfer from our trade in to the new car.

So we could have the car straightaway, we registerd the car on a 13 plate and the dealer sent the trade in log book mot and copy of tax disc and £80 for retention certificate of the dvla. So at this point he had the car but we were still the registerd keeper. The dvla sent back to use the new log book, mot cert, tax disc, for the old car with new reg on it, the retention certificates for the private plate and the reg lor the old car. That was two weeks after we had taken delivery. Then we went in to the dealer gave him the log book for the trade in and retention certificate plus mot, tax disc and he put on the private plate for us and off we went. We also sent off the trade in log book tear off to the dvla to say not our car any more. The second visit to give dealer log book and put number plates on we're done in 30 minutes.

So it comes down does te dealer wont to do some extra work?

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts
At least you don't have to think of a name for it Paul :D

Reactions: paul

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I emailed the dealer on Thursday asking about getting private plates put on that will be newly purchased from dvla ie not registered before on any vehicle...
Still no reply as of yet ..
Got till September I suppose Lol

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi

I had my private plate moved from my old car to the duster - no problems you just give the dealer the retention document and they do it when registering the vehicle. There is no reason at all for any delays or additional charges.

Doug

1 - 20 of 21 Posts