UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The flooding on the A40 in West London this evening let me put my Duster through its paces on my way home from work

Everyone was crammed into the middle and outer lanes so I was clear to plough on thru the flooding of the inside lane just as nature had intended

Don't think I have ever created such a large bow wave in a car as I did today :)

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
The flooding on the A40 in West London this evening let me put my Duster through its paces on my way home from work

Everyone was crammed into the middle and outer lanes so I was clear to plough on thru the flooding of the inside lane just as nature had intended

Don't think I have ever created such a large bow wave in a car as I did today :)
Not wanting to diminish the lighthearted tone of your post, but by way of a "disclaimer," please bear in mind SUVs are just as prone to aquaplaning as any other vehicle!

That said, bet it was fun! :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Was still only doing about 30, but that was about 25 more than those to my right.. And I did wonder about engaging the 4x4 first lol

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Was still only doing about 30, but that was about 25 more than those to my right.. And I did wonder about engaging the 4x4 first lol
A common misconception - 4x4 will make no difference to aquaplaning, which happens when the water creates a frictionless layer between the tyre and the road surface.

Not trying to be a kill-joy - just wouldn't like to think of anyone having a major "off" due to believing that driving an SUV makes them invincible!

I'm sure you'd be OK at 30....

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Google NASA Aquaplane equation. It gives you the equation that defines your max speed based on tyre size and pressure. As valid for a Ford Fiesta as it is for a B747

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you believe the scare stories in tge Daily Mail about satnav's then that is genuinely possible lol

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Google NASA Aquaplane equation. It gives you the equation that defines your max speed based on tyre size and pressure. As valid for a Ford Fiesta as it is for a B747
Interesting. And the relevant number is....? Just curious.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I still have a fear of puddles - after driving my old diesel C-max into what was a supposedly small puddle

Unfortunately for me the air intake on the c-max was at the bottom of the bumper , it proceeded to suck up the water and hydrolocked the engine :(

Not helped by the RAC guy continually trying to turn the engine over

A 4.5k insurance job for a new engine :( :(

Not been through any puddles since if I can at all help it !

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I still have a fear of puddles - after driving my old diesel C-max into what was a supposedly small puddle

Unfortunately for me the air intake on the c-max was at the bottom of the bumper , it proceeded to suck up the water and hydrolocked the engine :(

Not helped by the RAC guy continually trying to turn the engine over

A 4.5k insurance job for a new engine :( :(

Not been through any puddles since if I can at all help it !
Nasty! :eek:

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
...like Jimbo, I'd be more worried about sucking water into a car's air intake than aquaplaning in those conditions: hopefully the Duster is above all that...

...we had several cases a few years ago where 9-12 inches of standing water did serious damage to several high-end 3-lettered German saloons...

Joe

·
Premium Member
575 Posts

·
Registered
1,786 Posts

that's one way to clean the underside of the car, with very little effort ;-)

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
Coming at this from a position of "No Prior Knowledge" - I take it the rule of thumb is bigger wheels = higher speed?
No its purely based on the tyres ability to disperse water from under the tread blocks.

Water is a non compressible fluid.

Which means for all tyres regardless of size reach a point were the water depth vs rotation rate is to great, you then aquaplane (quite simply the tyre is no longer in contact with the surface of the road)

So no rule of thumb possible, sorry.

Long explantion but quiet clear I think;

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
...so, based on the rudimentary NASA hydroplaning equation 'v = 6.36 x p1/2 ', where velocity (v) is measured in kilometres per hour and tyre pressure (p) is measured in kilopascals:

• if I run my Duster with a nominal tyre pressure of 30psi;
  • 30psi equates to 207kpa (as 1psi = 6.89kpa);
  • the square root of 207 is 14.38;
  • 6.36 x 14.38 = 91.5 kmh; and
  • 91.5 kmh = 56.8 mph (as 1 kmh = 0.62 mph)...

...my Duster shouldn't aquaplane below 56.8 mph, give or take?

OK, so that's quite a simplistic interpretation...however "the development of a numerical model that can model the hydroplaning phenomenon is slow. This is primarily due to the complexity of the problem which involves the non-linear behavior of the pneumatic tire, the complex fluid flow and the non-homogeneous pavement [i.e. road] surface characteristics"...according to Department of Civil Engineering at the National University of Singapore.

I'm inclined to agree...but obviously I'm happy to be corrected by any forum member(s) with a better grasp of fluid dynamics than mine...

Joe

1 - 20 of 27 Posts