UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to know how the new car buying process works.

Purchasing

When I was at my dealers he wanted me to transfer the money to the account a few days before pickup to arrange payment. I insisted that I will only be paying the full amount on collection via debit card and certainly not before. After a discussion and having the manager come over he agreed to my request.

As a first time buyer In my mind it does not make sense why anyone would want to pay anything substantially large as the price for a new car BEFORE having seen it? How will I know if it is even there and it even works correctly and includes all optional extras? As I gesture of goodwill I paid a larger deposit than the one advertised online (£250 vs £100 on internet) to show I was serious about buying this car.

The reason why I did not want to part with my money a few days before the collection is because what if there was something wrong with the car - scratches, dents, puncture, radio doesn't work, something not working, etc. were my reasoning behind this. Surely if they have my money before I accept it then it causes me more inconvenience and stress trying to have it sorted through the warranty and/or going through the courts for a refund? I would rather everything in order on collection and pay for it when I am happy and drive away smiling no?

Insurance

The dealer gave me a leaflet advertising 7 days free insurance. I don't think I will muck around with this. I would rather take out a new insurance policy so could I do this? How soon does the car insurance need to be in place? Do I need to wait for the post (therefore order it a few days before) or could I order it and then print out my policy and go to the dealer with this as sufficient evidence of insurance?

I was wondering what everyone else thought on the matter and of course if you have previous new-car buying experiences to share, thanks!

·
Nurse Juju
1,342 Posts
Hi Mark

I wouldn't pay in full until the car was in front of me and I have checked every thing(including bells and whistles etc)

I always get nervous with car salesmen, some do seem to just want your money. And in my experience once they have your money and things go wrong, they are extremely slow in trying to resolve it. When you still owe and there is a problem the problem is fixed immediately.

Personally, I would utilise there insurance, you have nothing to lose (consider possible delays in delivery). But if you are happy to get your insurance in advance, take your documents and they will happily release the vehicle to you.

Always go with what makes you feel at ease.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The insurance is needed for them to tax your car, that's all. The 7 day free insurance isn't available if you have more than 5 points on you licence, I have 6. My insurance company faxed over a cover note to the dealer the day before i was due to collect it, even though I wasn't covered until the next day. I'm also lead to believe the 7 day policy has an £800 excess

·
Registered
58 Posts
It is my first NEW car as well. For what i understood, the dealer will give you a registration number so you can insure your car, when it will be almost ready for collection. After you get the insurance they will tax your car and you are sorted.

I heard a few people saying that some insurance companies don't recognise some of the Dacia models, so shop around and see which one can do it for you.

If i am wrong with this explanation please correct me as i am not really sure this is the whole process.

·
Registered
52 Posts
It is my first NEW car as well. For what i understood, the dealer will give you a registration number so you can insure your car, when it will be almost ready for collection. After you get the insurance they will tax your car and you are sorted.

I heard a few people saying that some insurance companies don't recognise some of the Dacia models, so shop around and see which one can do it for you.

If i am wrong with this explanation please correct me as i am not really sure this is the whole process.
That's pretty much it, once a vehicle has arrived in the uk import centre we can assign a reg number to it (these are almost always rubbish now as the DVLA take all the decent ones and flog them as cherished plates, so don't expect your initials!) then we end you a copy of the Registration details to sign and return, before we can complete the registration process we need a valid insurance certificate, the reason we advise using the 7 day insurance is they will email a certificate directly to us, this is a free service they provide in the hope that some customers will decide to stick with them, many insurance brokers charge for faxing a certificate to the dealer nowadays!

Once we have a signed copy of you registration detail and a valid insurance certificate we will register your car, this is the point of no return as it is very complicated to undo!

As an aside, the reason we ask for more than the £100 online deposit is because once we place your order with Dacia, we cannot return the vehicle, even if you cancel, so please consider that many dealers are small family run businesses like us, we have commitment from the buyer before we purchase the vehicle, nearly half the people who placed an online deposit never actually went through with the sale.

Hope this helps, any more questions feel free to pm me

Rob

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies!

I don't want to sound like a difficult customer *but* I think I would rather get full insurance before collection, because then it would be sorted and then I won't have to think about it for another year! I guess I should email my dealer about this but might be useful for other people reading if: would it be possible to arrange my own insurance before collection? Do I then simply email him a pdf copy of the insurance motor certificate before collection or post him a photocopy or maybe even turn up on the day with the documents at hand?

Also regarding payment is it standard practice to pay before collecting the car?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Better to email a PDF, they can print it and have the car taxed before you arrive, if you turn up with your documents you will have to wait for them to go and tax it for you. Regarding payment, I had to go in the day before and sign finance papers, they wouldn't tax it and allow me to collect it until funds had been transfered from the finance company. If you are paying cash you may be able to pay on collection

·
Registered
217 Posts
I checked out my insurance and got quotes prior to delivery using online search (compare the market) and then took full advantage of the 7 day freebie insurance from the dealer to tax the car and allow me to drive away on handover day.

Then simply regenerated the online quote and after a few clicks it was all done..... certificate and policy all emailed to me within the hour and then simply save on pc or as i done just print them out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts