UK Dacia Forum banner

Radio will not turn on after work on car.

10K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Daedalus 
#1 ·
Hi,

I am looking for some help before i take it to the dealers. I have a 16 plate 1.5 diesel duster. I have just had all the belts changed as well the water pump and a battery change as it is at about 90k miles.

Car went in with the stero working fine. it has come out and now will not work. the power light is lit up if i turn on my lights but will not turn on when i press the power button.

I took it back to the garage who did the work and they can find nothing that would stop it from working. No blown fuses and all wires are plugged in at the back of the unit. I have driven for more than an hour as i read somewhere that might be an anti-theft problem but i still have nothing.

Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong before i take it to my local dealer.

Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Just hazarding a guess ...

If the battery was disconnected then the radio would have asked for a Security Code when it restarted. I don't know what happens if you enter the wrong code too many times, but it MIGHT go into a timed lockout mode, which MIGHT be quite long - longer than the "hour" that you mentioned.

Alternatively it might become "bricked", requiring a visit to a Dacia/Renault dealer to unlock it.

I would suggest that you drive the car for several days to se if it "unlocks" itself - that is, if you have the correct Security Code to enter when/if required. Or you could try disconnecting and reconnecting the battery to see if this resets the radio - although it might still "remember" that it's in a lockout mode.

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
it depends on the radio fitted the early radios did have a code on a sticker in the back of the Owner's Handbook. The latter with dab were tied to the Vin and should just work in the right car,

Agree with disconnecting the battery or pulling the fuse. Though if you leave the car for an hour the car should go into sleep mode and reset when woken up which may be all that's needed.

#4 ·
Thank you for the replies.

The car has been driven for 3 days now and no change. It has not asked for a code at all. Fuse has been pulled and checked twice now and battery has been disconected once. The only sign of any life is the power button lights up when i switch the lights on to light up the dashboard. As for the lockout mode it states if a wrong code is entered then it will need 60 minutes before a new code can be entered doubling in time every time a wrong code is entered. But as stated i have had the car back since friday just gone and it is now money. it has been driven for about 2 hours at the weekend and about 6 hours today and there is no change. i took it back to the garage that did the work this morning and they could find nothing visably wrong that would be causing it not to turn on.

I have the code in the book. The radio is the standard radio fitted on the car and has never been changed to my knowledge.

Thanks.

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
I posted the pinouts here. It shares the connectors with the media nav so you may have more n/c

https://www.daciaforum.co.uk/forum/topic/38812-duster-stereo-iso-harness/

As you can see on the 12 pin connector pin 5 is BAT radio power.

24 pin: pin 1 ILL which turns the night backlights on which suggests life in the radio. I doubt if it directly powers the backlights but I may be wrong.

and pin 2 ACC which is the ignition key acc position.

Have you tried looking very carefully at the screen out of direct light sometimes the backlight fails on that type of screen.

#8 ·
THanks,

I have had a carefull look and the screen shows nothing at all. And i can see no wiring faults at the back of the unit.

It is starting to look like the radio has bricked. Are there any specific reasons that this may happen on a simple battery change?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.