UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, I know that i've only had my steppy a few weeks, I was wondering when the real time mpg reading will settle down.

When the engines at idle it shows --,-. Then as soon as I move off it goes to 99,9, and from then onwards gives numbers anywhere from say 30.3 to 99,9. :wacko:

The dealer says it wont settle down until I've done over 600 miles.

Is he right?.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Real time is as it says, real time, so its based on engine load at that second.

Are you wanting to view mpg since last reset instead? this average mpg over the miles done since last reset.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know it should fluctuate, but not jump wildly, giving random numbers....sometimes over 90, then maybe in the 40's, then back to the 70's etc. etc. all in a few seconds.

How often do you need to re-set the system?.

·
Super Moderator
2,832 Posts
You shouldn't need to reset it at all. You can reset it if you wanted to see your MPG for a particular journey, or for a full tank of fuel for example.

I expect you have a fault and a dealer trying to fob you off.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Doesn't sound like a fault at all. The Real-Time MPG reading is exactly that - an instant snapshot of the rate of fuel use. It will naturally vary with every slight throttle movement, every slight undulation in the road, etc. etc. To be frank, it's pretty meaningless.

The Average MPG reading should stabilise over time, and it sounds as if this is what the dealer was talking about. At first, and each time you reset it, it will seem to vary wildly since, in effect, it's doing exactly the same thing as the instant MPG - i.e. it's calculating the average based on a very short distance. The fundamental difference is that as that distance increases, it will start to stabilise.

So, if it's the Instant / "Real-Time" MPG reading that's fluctuating wildly, then don't concern yourself; that's just what it does. If it's your Average MPG reading, give it time, and if it doesn't gradually stabilise, then you may have a fault.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
It is running correctly, we have them on some of the wagons at work and when you take your foot off the pedal it reads about 127mpg, yet it's averaging about 4-7 mpg.
Mine does the 99.9mpg thing as there is no throttle use on the engine, ie engine braking or going downhill.
The renault one reads -.-- in the same situation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts