UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Searched the forum without success…..

Can anyone recommend a good quality rear bumper protector? Good fitment and OE looks essential. Not chrome. Thanks 😊

·
Registered
372 Posts
I thot about this when I bought the car but was advised against adding another pipe at the back. There are mounting issues. I finally just stuck 2" wide silicone rubber protectors at all 4 corners.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I have stuck a wide black grooved design black rubber strip on the bumper sill, but this will not protect the edge.

For the 🐩🐕: How about a black carbon fibre design vinyl sheet which could also cover the edge & extend an inch below?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’m after something that looks as near factory as possible.

Found this on eBay and although it looks very good, and ideal protection, I question whether there will be sufficient clearance between the tailgate and the protector strip to avoid any rubbing/paint issues.

If no one has tried it I’ll be the Guinea Pig 😂
Automotive tail & brake light Car Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Part arrived yesterday. That was quicker than they advertised.
Got a look at it today. First impressions: the material is a good match for the other plastics on the car. It’s pretty flimsy and the tape fitted to the rear looked woefully inadequate.
The bolts/holes shown in the pic on the eBay ad (top edge) are not present.

Offered it up to the car and found that it wasn’t too bad a fit where it will be seen, but less so where it meets the bumper in the area behind the tailgate (when closed), especially the offside.
One plus point - the tailgate is sufficiently clear of the bumper to allow space for the protector without risk of rubbing.

A few test fits and, despite all of the above, I decide it’s probably as good a material match as you’ll find and begin to modify it to fit. It’s easily trimmed using a small exhaust cut off tool I have. Those adjustments made it fit better. Marked up and drilled the two holes to match the bumper mount bolts. These then need packed out with washers to prevent too much pull/pressure on the top which in turn pulls the outer edge up and away from the bumper. So much so that tape won’t overcome this.

Here’s where most will be put off. I cut some cardboard and used this to jam the protector down with the tailgate closed. This proved the visible part was a good fit to the bumper. Now how to hold it down? Sikaflex lol This is a permanent fixture now!
Liberal application to the bumper, bolted on the protector and shut the tailgate, complete with cardboard packer.

I’m leaving the cardboard in place for 24hrs to ensure it sticks (it’s bus window sikaflex so there’s no doubt) Pics to follow tomorrow.

I have no reservations about sticking it on like this because it looks OE. If it marks up badly with dog’s claws then I’ll probably buy another to replace it when I sell. If I sell lol! Cheaper than a bumper.

There is NO way the supplied tape would keep it in place, particularly if anything came into contact with it.
Possibly some good tape would do, but the nobbly nature of the bumper surface would always make it an issue.

Apologies for war and peace. 😝

1 - 13 of 13 Posts