UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the rear ended on Thursday (didnt even get flowers first). The other driver tried to brake from about 40mph but couldnt stop. Car ended up in a ditch. The insurance is dealing with the repairs, but im in two minds to keep the car, or to sell it once repaired, as I have 2 young children, I just feel uneasy about driving it, I think because I'm not able to see the new parts or the repair being carried out. Please be nice with your replys and tell me if this is normal or am I just being paranoid.
Car Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

Automotive tail & brake light Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2019, first MOT is next month. Front passenger wing is scratched up, badge missing and cracks in the plastic grill. I was looking at the crash bar in the picture, that seems to be intact.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Did any airbags go off? So to me it looks like a minimum of

Front bumper/grill
Possible front passenger wing
Rear Bumper
Drivers side rear light
Tailgate
Rear valance is pushed in
Rear drivers side inner wheel arch liner
unknown rear drivers side suspension damage
Rear wheel (are they flex hubcaps?)

Panel gaps around the light and boot lid are clearly wrong which indicates something is out of alignment.

That car is probably worth £10k? and would be written off if the repair was 50% of the cars value. Add in a courtesy car, paint, possible delays of getting parts I think it will be written off I am afraid.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ouch, writing it off would ease my mind, as I said 2 young children. If it was bumper damage and not wheel I wouldnt be as worried. Im thanking my lucky stars that I took out a 4 year gap insurance.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I got the rear ended on Thursday (didnt even get flowers first). The other driver tried to brake from about 40mph but couldnt stop. Car ended up in a ditch. The insurance is dealing with the repairs, but im in two minds to keep the car, or to sell it once repaired, as I have 2 young children, I just feel uneasy about driving it, I think because I'm not able to see the new parts or the repair being carried out. Please be nice with your replys and tell me if this is normal or am I just being paranoid. View attachment 37768
View attachment 37767
Personally, I would be happy to keep and continue to drive it. However, can you insist on having this car repaired at an actual franchised main Dacia repair centre/dealer instead of any ol' approved repairer, then you know they are more likely to use original Dacia/Renault parts instead of OEM like for like pattern parts. Take several photos of the damaged areas, so when you pick it up you can remember and check off is everything fixed as expected. Glad everyone is ok more importantly.

·
Registered
Stepway '17 & Amb' '13 both TCe90
97 Posts
It doesn't matter whether you're paranoid or not- they're still going to get you :oops:!
I'd happily drive a properly repaired car, no reason to believe that an approved repairer won't do a good job (but check it well before accepting it), repainted metallic paint can fade differently to that factory applied, though.
But, the insurance company will invariably want to do what's cheapest for them. Very possible they'll want to declare a write-off and offer you a pittance in settlement (and sell the damaged vehicle for repair, why can someone else repair a car cheaper than an insurnce company with all their bargaining/buying powers?).
What ever you do, stick out for a settlement that'll put you back in the position you were immediately pre-impact, may take quite some time and perseverance on your part (insurers will try to wear you down by their inaction, slow responses and miserable offers). I ended up getting a "run-around" while sticking out for a decent offer for my very lightly damaged "wreck"(beware of offers of car loans/hire) so I wasn't racking up potential costs while "negotiating".

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tubaman was right, they are going to repair the car, insunace were insistant about it where as the vehicle inspector felt a wrote off would be better due to cost. Now its just a waiting game for parts to arrive etc.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts