UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else had the boot side of the rear seat upright get holed yet?

Its simply covered in a cheap cloth like material with no support at all under it. So when your dog stands on it when lowered or when you place shopping on it, it punctures the cloth and you can see all the inside of the seat !!!!! It needed to have such as a ply backing under the cloth but has nothing..

I plan to cut a 3 ply board to the shape of the seat back in two pieces for the third and two third section of it. Then i will look for some plastic or cloth covering for the 3 ply that i can glue or fix on it . Staples might do into the ply wood.

They could have spent the £6 at Dacia and stopped this happening....The ply was £6 i bought. Why make a fold down rear seat if you cant then place anything on top of it when in the down position????? Bad planning i think and poor quality.

They should also have designed the rear seat uprights to fold into the flat position too not into an almost flat one. Its so annoying that it doesnt fold flat......

·
Registered
124 Posts
The base of the rear seats pulls up and allows the back to form a flat base with the boot floor. Granted that the rear seat back is poor quality and needs to be addressed by Dacia.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
The base of the rear seats pulls up and allows the back to form a flat base with the boot floor.
This is exactly right. The seat base hinges and folds forward and the seat backs fold down flat into the space - I moved my son out of his digs in one load as a result :)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Do your rear seat bases have any covering on the bottom? Mine is just the white foam. Doesn't look good when lifted to fit large loads.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Very glad you mentioned that Den, was just about to stick a pallet into the back, would have gone through the fabric.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Now i am confused.. Are people saying the Duster rear seat base lifts up through 90 degrees so that the rear upright 1/3 and 2/3 section fold down into the seat base empty area? If that true the issue of the thin material on the boot side of the upright sections will still be seen on the upper side. I thought the upright sections just folded down onto the seat base where it was and thats why it doesnt go completely flat on the Duster???????? AM i right or wrong and am i a plonker??? I will check this during the day on Wed.. The 3 ply will still be necessary...

Be well careful its thin and has nothing inside to stop such as dogs paws going through it. The upright is hollow with the headrest bars showing inside... You need to get a bpoard made up to cover the back of the seats when laying flat or you too will all hole and shred the material used as its such cheap stuff. I plan a three ply sheet cut to size covered with plastic or carpet. The problem is what to fix this too in the seat back or it will just be loose ... Another £10 per car and they could have provided support inside the seat back.

I have a chocolate labrador dog and he went right through it with a paw.......

If i had known this was so cheap and nasty i would have had some board added when i had my leather upholstery done but they reused the rear seat backing to lower the cost... A bad move.

·
Registered
5 Posts
On my duster, I just pulled the bench seat up from where the seat belt bits are - needed a bit of a tug though and had to do a balancing act to get it to lay back down while keeping up the seat belt bits!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using DaciaForum.co.uk mobile app

·
Registered
124 Posts
I did the same with the seat base as LauraB did. Tip for putting base down is to fasten the seatbelts and this assists in holding them up away from the base when you are pushing it down.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I can admit to not yanking the rear seat base hard enough to raise it. I tried it again after seeing postings on here. I did ask the dealer when i bought it and he specifically told me it didnt raise like a Mercedes one does to enable the seat upright to lie flat... Just shows they dont know their job well enough doesnt it. I like others tried to raise the rear section but it didnt want to move so i resisted the urge to force it before.

I now managed to lift it upright and dont like what i found. The cheap and nasty look of the underside of it with uncovered foam is one cost cut too far as is the backing of the rear seat upright itself. Given that the lowering of the seat is the reason people like me bought a Duster so as to carry a dog around , i think they should have solidly reinforced the seat back and covered the underside where the foam is on show..

If i had managed to lift the rear seat and if i knew there was noting to stop a dog going through the material on the upright , i would have paid a little more when i had full leather added for over a £1,000. As i couldnt see the seat as i hadnt manged to raise it i didnt and now regret that and the fact the dealer didnt know and misinformed me.

My dog is a 7 stone one year old Lab and cloth doesnt support his weight at all on the folded down rear seat back.......

Attachments

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts
Or spend a tenner on a sheet of thin plywood and fix it to the seat.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I bought a 3ply sheet from Wickes and it was almost the same size as the rear seat upright. With the seat back laying in the down position th eply is simple placed on top of it and i have added a piece of carpet to it so my dog can grip on it when i brake. What a shame Dacia didnt do the job properly and spend a couple of pounds more on the seats. I also do like seeing the foam on the seat base when its folded forward. It looks so cheap and nasty and really naff. So i added enough carpet to have a fold over piece that covers the foam and tucks in between the front seats and the rear base when upright. Now i cant see the foam and my dog isnt going to put a paw through that as well or injure himself..

You shouldnt need to do all this because the Dacia people failed to...

·
Registered
457 Posts
Just been messing about with the seats in the Logan and the back of the rear seats has something solid behind already. Looks fairly sturdy. I don't know if that was done because I got leather seats though?

Sent from my HTC One S using DaciaForum.co.uk mobile app

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I can admit to not yanking the rear seat base hard enough to raise it. I tried it again after seeing postings on here. I did ask the dealer when i bought it and he specifically told me it didnt raise like a Mercedes one does to enable the seat upright to lie flat... Just shows they dont know their job well enough doesnt it. I like others tried to raise the rear section but it didnt want to move so i resisted the urge to force it before.

I now managed to lift it upright and dont like what i found. The cheap and nasty look of the underside of it with uncovered foam is one cost cut too far as is the backing of the rear seat upright itself. Given that the lowering of the seat is the reason people like me bought a Duster so as to carry a dog around , i think they should have solidly reinforced the seat back and covered the underside where the foam is on show..

If i had managed to lift the rear seat and if i knew there was noting to stop a dog going through the material on the upright , i would have paid a little more when i had full leather added for over a £1,000. As i couldnt see the seat as i hadnt manged to raise it i didnt and now regret that and the fact the dealer didnt know and misinformed me.

My dog is a 7 stone one year old Lab and cloth doesnt support his weight at all on the folded down rear seat back.......
I know I will get moaned at for going off topic but what an adorable lab

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
My old Fiesta had a solid rear seat back but bare, well painted metal, I carpeted it though with some stuff ... far better ............

Oh, just realised this is a Duster forum, excuse my ignorance for diverting it off the topic .... sorry :blink:

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Could some one post a photo of the foam seat back?
I presume you may mean the squab, here is a picture of it; it's a pain-in-the-ass to put back down (someone else on the thread has mentioned it) .... 4 buckles, 2 hands ..... yep genius!!!! The rear seat, there is nothing to see but carpet

DSCF1717.jpg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
All the metal work is protected Lake, even those, and I use the words not in a disparaging manner to the assemblers of the vehicle, fools can see that :cool:

And those fools know that quality, is subjective ..... Look at the ISO standards for quality, which promote oh so many top companies. They do not say the product is perfect, just reaches a standard, if it doesn't, it will be picked up by the 'Quality System' and the standard; well it can be anything!!

Boeing 787 'Dreamliner' springs to mind there doesn't it ........ a company with a turnover, probably combined bigger than a country's car industry, gets things not quite right? It's detected and a solution put in place ....... quality system; too right!!

Generally I would suggest using the term 'quality' would require a qualification to money & what you receive ... my Duster ... for what I paid for it is a quality product! If I had paid more, Nissan/Landrover/Honda prices then I would be a little disappointed.

I'm typing this from a 4 year old MacBook ... which knocks the spots off most things with regards to longevity, it is just a dream .... a dream that cost 3 times what a comparable 'windows' laptop would have at the time ...... I understood that when I spent the money ... many years to go if track records are anything to go by, not that I would trust 'only' past reputations. I understand my Duster, I did the research like any fool who is easily parted with their money; I understand ....... I bought ....

If you can afford one of the 'quality?' makes, fill your boots. Lake, I'm told they say 'there is nothing simpler than parting a fool from their money' I know which camp I'm in ...... B)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts