UK Dacia Forum banner

Red electrical warning light & orange esp light on

46K views 32 replies 18 participants last post by  Daedalus 
#1 ·
Hoping someone knows the answer,

My 2014 4WD dacia duster has started intermittently showing = red electrical warning light and orange esp light both on together. (Think that's what they are) Will try upload a photo.

When they come on, the car "beeps" & then turns itself off, even when driving!!

If you wait a few minutes & restart car it will either turn on and drive normally without the warning lights sometimes for a few days or .... the warning lights remain on & car will drive but there is a loss of power & won't go over 70mph.

Has anyone had any luck solving this issue or what it could mean.

Not sure if connected but 2 of the 3 occasions happened on a roundabout & 3rd time was after going over speedbump a few minutes after going around roundabout

It looks like this might be same issue in previous thread but didn't look like answer was found ,

(Did take it to a garage but because the warning lights weren't on when i got there they wouldn't look at it & said it whatever it was had probably reset itself. It's since happened twice again over several days so waiting to go into different garage.)

See less See more
#2 ·
hi Robin , ,no I have not got the solution I have ,been to two separate diagnostic centres and dealer Arnold Clarke,the last time just before the start of the epidemic .This started just before the end of the warranty period and clarkes replaced the fuel filter .After a few hundred miles went again .Have had glo plugs replaced ,fuel system , checked,turbo ,all to no avail.
I am considering taking it back to Clarkes but after the first visit they wanted extra £ 400 plus to finish the diagnosis ,seemed a bit steep as they were unable to guarantee success .If I find a solution will ley you know

#3 ·
This is supposed to be an electrical fault with the ESP which is part of the ABS, a box in front of the gear stick that contains accellerometers and a steering wheel position sensor. As far as I know the fuel filter has no electrical contacts and why would glow plug, fuel system and turbo faults be an ESP fault?

#5 ·
So took it back into garage again with the warning lights on & they plugged it into computer & then replaced the fuel filters last week.

So far its been running ok & warning lights haven't come back on yet (although sometimes intermittently my power steering doesn't feel quite right).

Fingers crossed but it sounds like from other posts that it might only be a temporary solution.

#9 ·
My wife's Duster started having this issue last year, then it disappeared. It reappeared last week. We travelled to Aberdeen from Edinburgh (no issues). Next day- Aberdeen to Peterhead & back (no issues). It then rained overnight. Travelling back to Edinburgh, we got 40 miles down the road, and the warning lights came on (small loss of power & a slight steering "wobble" issue, but not undrivable. Stopped further down the road- turned engine off & waited 10 mins - restarted - no further issues. I had been playing a game of trying to increase my MPG- started at 41mpg and got up to 43.6mpg.
Next day, travelled through to Glasgow (60miles- no issues) . Returning back the same day, I was still playing my MPG game, and lightly feathering the throttle. I felt a very, very slight loss of engine power through the throttle (like a gust of wind hits you head on) then goes back to normal. I felt this several times over the next 10 miles, then out of the blue on a flat straight section at a speed between 65/70 mph- the warning lights came on. Stopped further on down the road - waited a couple of mins- restarted & had no further issues since.
We have been back through to Glasgow on a one day trip with the car, and to try to stop this I have been altering my throttle pedal position when ( I thought) that i detected the very slight loss in power, but kept the RPM to approx 2500 revs. Thankfully nothing happened on that journey, so the issue did not reappear, or my throttle changes. Both journeys to Glasgow & back were in the dry with no overnight rain.

#10 ·
Hi
Did anyone get a definite solution for this? My wike is stuck 200 miles away and sent me the exact same image as RobinsDuster photo above. Car has been towed away into the wilderness for Renault to have a look. It seems strange that a fuel issue could trip these warning lights. Mind you the car has stood for the last couple of years so filter may be shot. Still nothing to do with electrical or ESP...
Cheers
R

#11 ·
Not a fan of all these electrical gizmo's and jiggery pokery that is on modern cars, some off which are not standalone but interconnected via the ECU, therefore if you develop one fault it triggers warning lights for other items.
I do know that ECU's can be affected by low battery voltage ie battery starting to go dud, might be worthwhile checking that as well as a first step before anything else, also I know from experience that on some cars if the service light is on and you don't get it serviced the car can go into limp mode, aye folks welcome to the world of electrical gremlins in modern cars.

#18 ·
Currently in Italy in my 2015 Dacia Duster (108,000 miles). Same combination of lights came on with slight loss of power whilst doing 80mph on Motorway. Pulled straight over and recovery truck took me to the garage. When the car was moved of the truck the lights had gone out. Garage did a diagnostic check and advised cylinder No.4 had failed. Went back this evening to pick car up. Won’t know for sure if it’s all resolved until we hit the road tomorrow but he showed me the old cylinder which didn’t look good at all 🤞🤞

#24 ·
I have had the same problem, code reader says it's a glow plug circuit error and glow plug relay control unit, changed out the glow plugs and it stopped coming on although the control relay is still showing as a fault. Got one delivered today and will change it and update the thread in due course.

#25 ·
dacia duster 14 plate 165000 no problems, untill last week im just starting to have same issue red light and amber light and alarm loss of power one day its ok next day doing it 4 or 5 times on my journey fault not always there, showing no codes mechanic unsure what issue is and doesnt want to start replacing parts unnecessary. reading other peoples posts could be injector pump, injector. fuel pump.,fuel filter.fuel. traction sensor.is there a common part that has cured this fault .or just keep running car till something does break.any advice appreciated

#30 ·
My 2018 stepway is doing it, red electric light orange and and traction and limp.mode. had 2 diagnostics.done which say inconsistent throttle something, been to auto electrician, they said 'loads of faults coming up and they can't fix it" took it to another and have ordered a second hand throttle thingy, £14 they said it's that or the ECU which costs loads, I've got this car in finance but have another 18 months before I can give it back, Renault where I got it from, have been unhelpful, £150 for the diagnostic, I can't drive it to work as I have to go through a toll tunnel and can't risk having to stop or it's a big fine. I think I notice it's worse after rain. I'll clean it too incase it's rustsy break discs. I do drive it 20 miles a day but in slow rush hour traffic and then drive it about 240 miles every few months on motorway. So annoying