UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see from the French Dacia site (dacia.fr) that air conditioning is an option on some petrol models, at 900 euros IIRC. This must mean that all the parts are available. How difficult would it be to retrofit A/C?

If some A/C firm out there offered this service I am sure they would do good business. There must be plenty of people out there who don't want a diesel, but would like aircon.

·
Premium Member
1,199 Posts
It's something I've been pondering as well. From previous experience, it's likely to be a lot of work. The engine will likely already have the mounting points for the air-con compressor, but you'd then need to fit a new auxiliary drive belt, pipes to the condenser (also needing to be fitted), and then plumbed into the existing heater system, which may or may not accept it, I've no idea what's fitted without taking delivery of one and ripping it apart. So at the moment, I'd rule out retrofitting one myself, I think it's a job too far for me, I simply can't be arsed.

The other issue is that you'd need to find a written-off Duster! Not going to happen in this country for a while (and if it's a front-ender the parts will likely be knackered) so you're looking at Europe for a while...

It's annoying, as it's a wheeze to get you to upgrade to the top of the range model, but I just can't justify at the moment going from an £11k 4x4 Access model to a £15k 4x4 Lauréate with a diesel engine which will inevitably suffer DMF / EGR / EGR / Injector issues!

Guess I'll just have to drive around with the windows down in the summer

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I certainly wouldn't attempt it myself, I know my limitations!

But if someone would do it for me for £1,000 I would go for it. And surely you wouldn't need to find a written-off Duster? Don't you think that all the parts you need will be available off the shelf from Dacia/Renault as spares? I'm hoping that the wiring loom will already have provision for it and, as you say, the engine should have mounting points for the compressor.

Like you I am wary of modern diesels due to possible problems with DMF/DPF/injectors/glowplugs etc.etc. I wonder how many of those are covered under the 3/5/7 year warranty.

·
Premium Member
1,199 Posts
Yeah, you'll be able to buy everything new for certain, but it's the cost. Wouldn't surprise me if it's nearly £1k in parts, and then fitting on top. We need either a friendly Renault dealer, or some decent exploded diagram workshop manuals to figure out what's what. I'm sure I can find some manuals if I look hard enough

·
Premium Member
1,199 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
odd, the 1.6 petrol access duster 2wd is only available in Cyprus with air-con????? Note Cyprus is RHD so these cars are made in India the same as UK.

It also has alloy wheels, sterio cd player, and Alarm. Priced at 13500 Euro, thats about £11500

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
with a diesel engine which will inevitably suffer DMF / EGR / EGR / Injector issues!
What a load of utter rubbish. There are many millions of 1.5 dci and other diesel engines happily pottering and being thrashed around the world and the roads are not littered with dead ones. I have owned ten diesel cars since 1989 running them all to well over 100,000 miles and have yet to have an engine problem. My current car is on 45,000 miles and running perfectly, diesel engines thrive on hard work, treat them properly and they will not be a problem.

·
Premium Member
1,199 Posts
Well, you're one of the lucky ones then! The issues I mentioned are very well documented on just about every diesel engine manufacturer going, a quick google search will be testament to that fact. I've had two diesel engine failures in the family, both times they were injectors, both times they cost a lot of money to fix.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Currently on my third diesel and had no problems either.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Well, you're one of the lucky ones then! The issues I mentioned are very well documented on just about every diesel engine manufacturer going, a quick google search will be testament to that fact. I've had two diesel engine failures in the family, both times they were injectors, both times they cost a lot of money to fix.
Diesel injectors get dirty, fact of life. Run a cleaner through them occasionally and they are generally reliable. If you don't and they become blocked the injector nozzles can be cleaned or replaced at little cost, but don't expect the motor trade to tell you that. ;)

An example -

http://injectortune.co.uk/Injector_Cleaning.html

·
Registered
230 Posts
pipe work, compressor, new cam belt, remove dash to put in AC pipework and condencer. refit dash, gas, done. sounds simple.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts