UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, for all forum members who purchased the Stepway Ambiance, yes reversing / parking sensors can be fitted quite easily without removing the bumper. I purchased a set of reversing sensors 16mm (oem spec) in black http://www.seautoelectrical.co.uk/index.php/parking-sensors/secko-4sen16-16mm-33-matt-black-rear-parking-sensors-cko-4sen16-33.html

and a set of 1/4" drive bit drills to spot mark from behind the bumper http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/13PC-HSS-TITANIUM-COATED-DRILL-BIT-SET-WITH-1-4-HEX-SHANKS-1-5mm-6-5mm-BITS-/350763779848?pt=UK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item51ab268708

If you look underneath and at the back of the bumper you can see boxes with + marks above each red reflector and with a torch and small mirror the same 2 centre marks above the metal collision bar.

From the drill set use a small drill (bit tight but can be done) to pop mark through the 4 sensor positions on the bumber (double check before drilling). From the outside carefully use the cutter supplied to cut the 16mm sensor holes where the pop marks have come through.

The 4 cables can then be routed through an existing hole which has been blanked off into the boot area with a little bit of fishing. A cable grommet is inserted where the blank grommet was (then sealed with silicone). Then everything can be connected and positioned as per Renault / Dacia Instructions I have posted under "How To".

If there is enough interest then I will create a tuturial with more detailed information on how to fit without removing the bumber. If you are interested then please post a reply.

Cheers

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, For the time being have a look under Stepway "How To" electrical section. Their is a Dacia PDF on fitting sensors. As indicated previous, there are 4 position marks on the iside of the bumper. The 2 outer ones are very easy to see.

The 2 centre ones can be seen with a torch and a small inspection mirror but but if you find this difficult I can suggest downloading some rear view pictures of the Stepway with sensors already fitted to see where the 2 centre ones are positioned. They are almost in line on the edges of the number plate and these can be drilled from the outside. (Make sure the number plate is centred in the recess first).

If you feel from the inside of the bumper there is no lateral obstruction so a few mm's either way will not cause any problems as there is plenty of fresh air at the back. If you look in the boot through the left oblong cutout in the rear vallance you can see a hole with a blanking plug in the outer skin. The sensor cables can be routed more easily through this hole and through a grommet and then sealed with silicone. When you locate the blanking plug have a feel from under the bumper for it's position.

Dacia shows the cables route through the nearside edge but this is difficult to see from inside the boot due to the rear 2 skins and bumper in position.

Hope this helps for now. Another suggestion is when buying sensors check they are 16 or 18mm (similar to Oem sizes) as the 21 or 22m are quite big,

I am in the process of completing mine so I will post a more explicit tuturial in the near future under "How To" with pics as doing them outdoors, the weather has been against me.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For those interested, I have now completed fitting my reversing sensors and have posted a further tutorial in the "How To" section.

Turned out very neat and works fantastic. Hope it might be helpful to other forum members who might be considering fitting their own.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts