UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I decide to get the local Renault/Dacia dealer to fit genuine Dacia accessories reversing sensors during the second service. After the initial shock of the cost (which after discussing was reduced to £300.00).

I'm very disappointed with the performance.

They failed to pick up a wall whose top reaches half way up the bumper. When reversing against other cars it gives poor results often not making the continues sound until 4cm away from the other vehicle. When reversing along a road it gives out intermittent bleeps.

I was also expecting to have the deactivation switch fitted as well but that's not the case but I can get over that if they worked.

The dealer has checked them out and reported they are working correctly.

I asked for full specs from the dealer and customer services and there is no minimum height listed for detected object just say wont pick up "very low objects". Neither the dealer or Dacia customer services can supply details.

I used a credit card to pay so complained to the card company, they asked for an independent report which has confirmed my findings. So the amount has been re-credited to my card whilst its in dispute.

If they are removed as the dealer is entitled to do it will leave holes in the bumper which Dacia are saying as there is no problem they wont pay for leaving the poor old dealership liable for the costs under the sale of goods act. For fitting something that they have done in good faith following Dacia instructions.

I do feel a bit sorry for the dealer but what else can I do

Dacia customer services who say as they have been checked out by the dealer they will do nothing more and I should contact the motorcodes.

Anyone else with similar experiences?

Attachments

·
Registered
224 Posts
From your image they do not look like the factory fitted sensors.

I reverse my car into my space there is a normal sized kerb behind the car and the sensors even pick that up.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Ok I decide to get the local Renault/Dacia dealer to fit genuine Dacia accessories reversing sensors during the second service. After the initial shock of the cost (which after discussing was reduced to £300.00).

I'm very disappointed with the performance.

They failed to pick up a wall whose top reaches half way up the bumper. When reversing against other cars it gives poor results often not making the continues sound until 4cm away from the other vehicle. When reversing along a road it gives out intermittent bleeps.
I was also expecting to have the deactivation switch fitted as well but that's not the case but I can get over that if they worked.

The dealer has checked them out and reported they are working correctly.

I asked for full specs from the dealer and customer services and there is no minimum height listed for detected object just say wont pick up "very low objects". Neither the dealer or Dacia customer services can supply details.

I used a credit card to pay so complained to the card company, they asked for an independent report which has confirmed my findings. So the amount has been re-credited to my card whilst its in dispute.

If they are removed as the dealer is entitled to do it will leave holes in the bumper which Dacia are saying as there is no problem they wont pay for leaving the poor old dealership liable for the costs under the sale of goods act. For fitting something that they have done in good faith following Dacia instructions.

I do feel a bit sorry for the dealer but what else can I do

Dacia customer services who say as they have been checked out by the dealer they will do nothing more and I should contact the motorcodes.

Anyone else with similar experiences?
Fight them all the way, Your fight is with the dealer not Dacia as they are not factory fitted they are a after sale product if they were not ordered at the time you ordered your car so don't feel sorry for the dealer, they are the ones that have supplied and fitted them..

The Dacia reversing sensors come with a switch to deactivate them, So if you ordered a OEM set of reverse sensors from the dealer deactivation switch should have been fitted.

If the dealer has fitted them and they are not fit for purpose. If they wish to remove them they have to make good your car to the condition it was prior to them fitting them, So you are well within your rights to insist they replace your bumper with a new one with out holes. Do not accept a patch up job.

My factory fit reverse sensors work perfectly and have a deactivation switch.

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
...The Dacia reversing sensors come with a switch to deactivate them, So if you ordered a OEM set of reverse sensors from the dealer deactivation switch should have been fitted...
...I specced reversing sensors when I ordered my Duster, and they are properly colour coded to the bumper (altho' I'm not sure where/when they were fitted) - but - they don't have a deactivation switch...

...all in all, they seem very effective, picking up kerbs, posts, and other objects...

...IMHO a continuous beep at about 4cms is spot on: that's your 'stop' point!...

Joe

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
I don't see any deactivation switch in the fitting instructions for the official Renault parking sensors.
See here :-

http://www.tech-accessoires.renault.com/download_doc/?document_id=3973
Perhaps the deactivation switch has a separate installation instruction sheet...

My car that came with reverse sensors pre-installed has a switch to deactivate them.

Perhaps you only get the de-activation switch when they are standard spec of the car you purchase...
It looks like you may possibly not get the button with the optional extra pack.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
...I specced reversing sensors when I ordered my Duster, and they are properly colour coded to the bumper (altho' I'm not sure where/when they were fitted) - but - they don't have a deactivation switch...

...all in all, they seem very effective, picking up kerbs, posts, and other objects...

...IMHO a continuous beep at about 4cms is spot on: that's your 'stop' point!...

Joe
Mine were not a optional extra they were standard spec of the model I purchased...
Mine are not colour coded they are black...
But they do have a de-activation switch...

·
Registered
398 Posts
Surely gravel in front and gravel behind is a very good way to hide a low wall it is after all only a £300 system.
Don't think gravel has anything to do with the ability of the reversing sensors to detect the wall.

My sensors came as a factory fit and have the deactivation switch.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for all the responses.

Just to confirm this sensors are the Genuine Dacia/Renault parts fitted by the dealer after purchase.

The reason they are black and not painted is because when negotiating the price they wanted extra to get them painted. The deactivation switch according to the dealer is not part of the kit nor is it a spared/orderable item, confirmed by Dacia customer services as not available for non factory fitted sensors. The independent report says basically the sensors are mounted to high so would not protect the bumper.

For information the dealer originally quoted £450.00.

·
Registered
398 Posts
From what you say it sounds to me as though they are operating correctly. If you reverse along a street and pass within 1 Meter of an object the system will beep. The correct distance for the continuous beep is 4 cm.

Here is an extract from the fitting instructions.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
less than £20.00 a set on ebay, they come with a correct size hole cutter and they're colour coded as well, fitted them to the Duster, My Wifes Audi and my Daughters Corsa, easy! Took the opportunity to fit a reversing camera as well on the Duster whilst the Bumper was off.

It's a fair bet that most Dealers don't pay much more than £15.00 for the parts.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Thank you for all the responses.

Just to confirm this sensors are the Genuine Dacia/Renault parts fitted by the dealer after purchase.

The reason they are black and not painted is because when negotiating the price they wanted extra to get them painted. The deactivation switch according to the dealer is not part of the kit nor is it a spared/orderable item, confirmed by Dacia customer services as not available for non factory fitted sensors. The independent report says basically the sensors are mounted to high so would not protect the bumper.

For information the dealer originally quoted £450.00.
I have a blue Steppy and the factory fitted sensors are black, they are not colour coded even at the factory...
Take a photo of your bumper and post it on here and I will compare the location of your sensors with my factory fitted sensors.. but 2 of mine are in the thin strip above where the number plate recess is, and the other 2 are above the reflectors on the bumper

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
If you remove the rear bumper, the approved fitting locations are marked by circles moulded into the structure, so all sensors should be in the correct position and identical to any other similar model. This is common to all of the Vehicles that I have fitted, regardless of Manufacturer.

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Isn't it actually 40 cm :)
Yes, according to the instructions above, 0.4 Meter is 40cm. (or approx 16")

And I hate to be controversial, but looking at the Picture above of the Car and the low wall, I think it's unreasonable to expect the standard sensors to pick that low wall up when that close, if that is the specific requirement then a couple of sensors, maybe additional, could be placed in an appropriate lower position.

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
I think you might be right about the orientation bit..... I can picture the normal orientation being a bit like your headlights,, i.e. ,pointing down slightly,,,not straight out ( not exactly parallel with road surface)

My driveway is on a slight incline,,, lower at front,, rising up to house.,,,, I pull in front first and park,,,,,,,,,,,,,,But when I reverse out, I get the usual 1 bleep when put into gear,,,,but then as i slowly reverse out,,, i get the bleeps, even though the nearest object might be 20 feet away. it only does it when reversing out of drive ,,,,,so,,, I`m tipping its to do with the incline,,,and the sensors are pointing down even more towards to `moving` driveway.... if that makes sense.

step 001.JPG

Attachments

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
or it could be because of the hedge, I reverse into my space past a Conifer tree and that always sets them off.

Nice looking Car, by the way. :)

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
I think you might be right about the orientation bit..... I can picture the normal orientation being a bit like your headlights,, i.e. ,pointing down slightly,,,not straight out ( not exactly parallel with road surface)

My driveway is on a slight incline,,, lower at front,, rising up to house.,,,, I pull in front first and park,,,,,,,,,,,,,,But when I reverse out, I get the usual 1 bleep when put into gear,,,,but then as i slowly reverse out,,, i get the bleeps, even though the nearest object might be 20 feet away. it only does it when reversing out of drive ,,,,,so,,, I`m tipping its to do with the incline,,,and the sensors are pointing down even more towards to `moving` driveway.... if that makes sense.

attachicon.gif
step 001.JPG
Mine beeps on the approach to my drive gate posts, when reversing out of my drive.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts