UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I test drove a Stepway and was really impressed by the ride quality. This will be a financial purchase so I'm only really interested in the standard Sandero (Ambiance), and I'm very close to placing an order. What I was interested in was peoples opinion on any difference in ride quality between the two models.

Has anyone driven both? I'd be really interested to hear your thoughts. Thanks!

-Kerr

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hi. I have driven both the standard Sandero & the Stepway.

I prefer the Stepway, because to me the ride quality is smoother, than the Sandero.

I can't say I noticed any difference in the handling though.

But if its just on financial grounds that your buying the car, then I would go for the Standard Sandero.

As it is cheaper to buy, and the MPG is a little better than the Stepway.

But for fun & usefulness to me its the Stepway... every time.

·
Registered
74 Posts
To me its the Steppy all the way.

I do a lot of boot sales, which means driving across grass fields etc.

And while I know its a road car, the higher suspension make the ride a lot less bumpy.

And a lot smoother on our bumpy roads!.

The rear parking sensors, make parking a doddle.

And its easier to get in and out of.

The sandero does have its advantages.

Its cheaper, slightly better fuel ecconomy, lower boot. better handling in high winds.

Well that's what I think...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback - if it was a fairly significant difference in ride quality then I'd be thinking twice, but it sounds like they're much of a muchness really.

The handling isn't a consideration for this purchase. Thrills aren't anywhere near the top of the "must have" list!! :)

-Kerr

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Thanks for the feedback - if it was a fairly significant difference in ride quality then I'd be thinking twice, but it sounds like they're much of a muchness really.

The handling isn't a consideration for this purchase. Thrills aren't anywhere near the top of the "must have" list!! :)

-Kerr
You would be best to test drive them both yourself, Its the only way you will be able to decide which is more suitable to yourself and justify if its worth spending more on a Stepway or buying the cheaper Sandero... You do the maths.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You would be best to test drive them both yourself, Its the only way you will be able to decide which is more suitable to yourself and justify if its worth spending more on a Stepway or buying the cheaper Sandero... You do the maths.
Thanks. That's why I was asking - to see if it was worth it.

-Kerr

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Today I test drove a Stepway and was really impressed by the ride quality. This will be a financial purchase so I'm only really interested in the standard Sandero (Ambiance), and I'm very close to placing an order. What I was interested in was peoples opinion on any difference in ride quality between the two models.

Has anyone driven both? I'd be really interested to hear your thoughts. Thanks!

-Kerr
if it helps anyway pentagon group are selling off pre reg sandero ambience 1.2s for the usual discount... I've got my eye on one myself but for later in the year.
Good luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Thanks. That's why I was asking - to see if it was worth it.

-Kerr
If it helps you make the right choice of car for yourself of course it is worth it especially when it costs you nothing to have a test drive.

I tested both, then decided the Stepway is the one that I preferred from them both.. I felt it was worth paying the extra For the 40mm higher car which did seem to be a better ride to me plus a few other advantages....
If you want to save a bit on your purchase check the larger Multi-branch dealers at the beginning of the month for pre-registered deals.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
The thing that confuses me is that the Stepway Laureate costs nearly 2 grand more then the ambiance/ the few extras don't warrant it. That Pentagon deal with metallic paint for five and a half grand is a no brainer for any one considering a Sandero

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
...I came to Dacia from a Suzuki SX4 - which is very much like a Stepway: I drove the Steppy and Duster, and ended up with the latter - and I'm very happy with it...

...to be honest, while I think the Sandero is a great car for the money I didn't even consider a test drive: once I saw the Steppy/Duster options I knew I would go for one of those...

...no disrespect to Sanderos or their owners, it just wasn't for me...

Joe

p.s. and back to the original question at the start of this thread, ride quality; handling; and comfort are not the same thing: each to his/her own, and I would always go towards comfort rather than handling...

p.p.s. I also went for the Ambiance spec - mainly to get the diesel, but I couldn't see the value in another two grand for the Laureate...

·
Registered
1,396 Posts

p.s. and back to the original question at the start of this thread, ride quality; handling; and comfort are not the same thing: each to his/her own, and I would always go towards comfort rather than handling...
Quite agree.

Straying slightly from the topic, as a car enthusiast I read various car magazines and watch video reviews, and whether reviewing supercars or superminis, testers always make the differences in handling between different models seem massive.

Thing is, in my time I've owned and/or driven a fair number of cars, of various types and classes, and although I could pick out differences in their characteristics, perhaps even going as far as to pick a favourite, I don't think I've ever driven a properly maintained car that handled "Badly."

Is it just me, or do the Clarksons of this world grossly exaggerate things that are pretty much meaning less in day-to-day driving?

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
Agreed but they do interrelate. If you raise the centre of gravity you will increase body roll in corners which is usually felt more by passengers than the driver.
...I don't disagree: that said, my Duster handles like a boat, but its a comfortable boat - and I'd rather drive 300+ miles in a day in it (as I have done several times ) than in my wife's MR2 Roadster, even though that clearly has much better 'handling'...

Joe
p.s. my passenger(s) agree!

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
I don't think a mid engined two seater is really relevant. The OP was asking about the Stepway versus ordinary Sandero. I personally don't like driving yachts. The Sandero can in no way be described as having a sport suspension.
HaHa you sail a yacht, but you would drive a twin motor Rib now that is what you call fun, Certainly a lot more fun being on the water in one rather than being stuck on a congested road in a vehicle...

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
I don't think a mid engined two seater is really relevant. The OP was asking about the Stepway versus ordinary Sandero. I personally don't like driving yachts. The Sandero can in no way be described as having a sport suspension.
...fair point - I was using the Duster -v- MR2 analogy to illustrate the difference between comfort and handling...

...I haven't driven the standard Sandero, but the Stepway felt very like my previous Suzuki SX4: IMO the slightly higher ride improves comfort, at the (marginal) expense of handling...

...and the Duster shifts the balance a bit further...

Joe

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
The sandero should handle fairly well, if it's the same as the logan it stays fairly flat on a corner... I'd expect the sandero to best handling of the pair you've chosen.
I'd reckon the stepway to lollop more nicely over holes in the road though.
Unless anyone's driven a Nissan pixo, you don't realise how much you appreciate ride quality... I dont think it even had suspension, you could even feel the white lines on the road!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all the input. It's really interesting to see how differently people interpret ride quality.

For me, ride quality is how well a car copes with everyday lumps, bumps, and potholes - probably best described as "how much do I notice the quality of the road surface?"

Handling is how well the car copes with changes in direction, particularly at speed - "how confident do I feel when I turn the steering wheel to go round a corner?"

Comfort (for me) doesn't really relate to the way a car is engineered to make progress. It's more down to how easy it is for the driver (and passengers) to find a comfortable seating position. Road and engine noise comes into play here too. I think this is why comfort is so difficult to fully describe as it depends on thing like a persons height, body shape, personal seating preferences (low, high, upright, reclined, etc). I guess this is why some reviewers talk about the level of adjustment available rather than a overall opinion on "comfort".

The impression I got from my test drive of the Stepway was that it had far better ride quality than I was expecting, which is why I was interested to hear people's thoughts on whether or not this might be down to the 40mm boost to the ride height.

-Kerr

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Thanks for all the input. It's really interesting to see how differently people interpret ride quality.

For me, ride quality is how well a car copes with everyday lumps, bumps, and potholes - probably best described as "how much do I notice the quality of the road surface?"

Handling is how well the car copes with changes in direction, particularly at speed - "how confident do I feel when I turn the steering wheel to go round a corner?"

Comfort (for me) doesn't really relate to the way a car is engineered to make progress. It's more down to how easy it is for the driver (and passengers) to find a comfortable seating position. Road and engine noise comes into play here too. I think this is why comfort is so difficult to fully describe as it depends on thing like a persons height, body shape, personal seating preferences (low, high, upright, reclined, etc). I guess this is why some reviewers talk about the level of adjustment available rather than a overall opinion on "comfort".

The impression I got from my test drive of the Stepway was that it had far better ride quality than I was expecting, which is why I was interested to hear people's thoughts on whether or not this might be down to the 40mm boost to the ride height.

-Kerr
Yes It's really interesting to see how differently people interpret ride quality.

So really the only way to get a personal true reflection of the differences between the 2 cars you are considering is by test driving them both yourself.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If it helps you make the right choice of car for yourself of course it is worth it especially when it costs you nothing to have a test drive.
So really the only way to get a personal true reflection of the differences between the 2 cars you are considering is by test driving them both yourself.
Yep. I get it. Thanks.

-Kerr

1 - 20 of 29 Posts