·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes that's pretty much the thing. I'd mount them on a transverse bar though, and the problem is certainly how to do this without damaging the car, causing a leak or it looking silly. There must be a way.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Ive had CB's in my cars in the past and ran the arial cable under the door seal and never had a leak. I ran a little bit of gaffa tape just inside the door frame to hold the tape so it never snagged on anything, you only seen the tape with the door open. The rest of the cable was put under carpet, should be similar for roof light. I should be picking up the Duster at the end of March/April and will be working out where to run it. Im mostly going to be using the light when up at the farm reversing

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Does the end cap of the roof rails easily come off? I wonder if there is a bung hidden as the ltd edition duster has a roof light, no? If there is a factory edition/option (however rare or unusual) then surely if they can get power out if the car there is a hole somewhere.

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts
Does the end cap of the roof rails easily come off? I wonder if there is a bung hidden as the ltd edition duster has a roof light, no? If there is a factory edition/option (however rare or unusual) then surely if they can get power out if the car there is a hole somewhere.
That's a possibility, the Duster police cars must have some cable entry point on the roof.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm going to mount some spot lights on a transverse roof bar.

Any info on usable holes under the roof bar feet?

I have a phase 2 and i'm not averse to striping stuff down. would prefer the tidiest option. thinking it would be possible to take one roof bar off, drill the underside of the bar. run the cable along the inside of the bar to the rear, in through the roof. will drill a hole if required. Then down to floor to the front.

would also put a switch to interrupt the relay to the High beam connection.

anyone done this? would be interested in the cable routing.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Many years running Fronteras off road, and i do miss the muddy fun, but all the sites closed up in the North East :(

Any spot lights can be used as long as they deactivate completely when the dipped beam is active, they may not change to a 'low power setting'. If you want a soft glow in them when on dipped beam you must run dual bulb units with a 5w 'dipped' bulb like the truckers do.

I found the easiest way to mount them was a simple transverse bar across the longitudinal bars, then to run the wire to one side, in to the top of the front door shut, then follow down the A-pillar, into the wing and then into the engine bay. on the fronty this could all be done under the top door rubbers, not sure with a Duster.

The engine bay housed the relay and tapped the main beam positive to trigger. For an override switch, I simply added one between fuse and relay high power Positive.

Heres the Regulation Schedule for fitting Main Beam lighting

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/schedule/5/made

Also, this is sexy

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4x-8-Off-Road-4x4-Driving-Lamp-Spot-Light-Bar-Roof-Mount-Overhead-Pod-White-55W-/141833061384?hash=item2105e8c408:g:hyYAAOSwEgVWTzV5

Karrot

1 - 11 of 11 Posts