UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
I had no idea such things existed but I must admit they are pretty damn cool.

Is it safe for the car to have the weight on the roof? Sounds like a daft question but I wouldn't fancy putting my svelt athletic 100kg frame on the roof of my car haha.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
the roof bars usualy, suports about 180 kg

the roof tents have a tough plastic or fiberglass floor u wont stay directly on the car roof

is a damn cool tent, although uve got to mount a ladder on the tailgate

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts
Slightly more realistic prices D&M :)

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
100kg official transports load on the duster roof bars.You can probably double it for a safety factor

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No ladder needed on the tail gate. See the ones I posted

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the manual for the duster just says roof bars 100KG. but if that is each bar the duster will take 200KG

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yer. The max load will be for travel anyways when sheer factors will be more at play

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
going for an overcamp small. once the duster arrives

·
Registered
6 Posts
Resurrecting this thread (sorry), as I've just gotten my duster on order and am starting to spec out a tent.

Which tent did you end up getting and how does it affect handling? I was looking at something inside a fibreglass box rather than the fold over stile (worried about the adverse effect on fuel consumption by the large clotch wrapped box on the roof :p)

M.

(oh yes, and I'm new here :p Hello.)

·
Registered
6 Posts
This is the one I'm looking at for now...

Closed: https://boutique.naitup.fr/modules/responsivegallery/views/img/uploads/item/7.JPG

Open: https://boutique.naitup.fr/modules/responsivegallery/views/img/uploads/item/12.JPG

It's not cheap, but has the fibreglass shell I'm after, while at the same time offering the fold out advantages of the porch/awning ... oh, and they use the duster as their sales image, so I know it fits :p

Only downside I can find is price... at 3k euros, it's about double of many of the soft shell ones I've seen...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Now started considering building my own...

2x honeycomb aluminium panels 130cmx100cm (£50)

some hinges

some aluminium tubes & steel wire

a 2-3" memory foam mattress

an old tent off ebay (for cloth)

Total cost, £300ish, not counting that I would need to borrow a tig welder...

Has anyone got any experience with roof tents on their car? While I want a hard shell, if self building it would be a soft-shell, clam design... which in turn means I'm worried about aerodynamics and fuel consumption...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Now started considering building my own...

2x honeycomb aluminium panels 130cmx100cm (£50)

some hinges

some aluminium tubes & steel wire

a 2-3" memory foam mattress

an old tent off ebay (for cloth)

Total cost, £300ish, not counting that I would need to borrow a tig welder...

Has anyone got any experience with roof tents on their car? While I want a hard shell, if self building it would be a soft-shell, clam design... which in turn means I'm worried about aerodynamics and fuel consumption...
Dont build one and look for the lightweight options, there are quite a few that sit around 900/1000 pounds. The issue a lot of these tents are made for landrovers and jeeps etc. Be extremely careful and check the weight, The small compact lighter ones are extremely good, only thing is bare in mind the car will rock ALOT during high winds so if you do use one try and park where its shielded or unless you like being rocked to sleep all night.

There are two main types, alum pop up with roof/bottom looks like a storage box and the fabric fold out ones. Fabric ones are heavier than the alum ones however the alum are more expensive.

There are alternatives that use the boot of the car and extend of the back allowing you to sleep inside the actual car. They are much cheaper options.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts