UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering getting a roof tent (google if unsure what one is). The ones I have seen are around 50kg which is clearly fine. But when me and my partner try and sleep in it I'm worried the roof won't be strong enough.

I reckon the weight limit will be different for staying still and moving since when moving at 70mph there will be a large strain on the box.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2,832 Posts
I'm curious why a roof tent?

If you don't like camping on the ground, how about a trailer tent?

Or there are SUV tents where you sleep IN the car but have the back door open and covered by a tent.

I wouldn't fancy having to wake up, get dressed in a tiny tent and go down a ladder!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is really just to give me so much more flexibility, don't have to worry about rocky floors or uneven surfaces, I plan to tour Europe and occasionally sleep at the side of a road so I couldn't peg a normal tent into the tarmac. They are also really easy to erect, literally pull the ladder down and it opens out the whole thing and you can leave sleeping bags etc inside when you close it so you don't have to pack up a tent to move to the next location, just fold it and leave it on the roof!

I am only 22 (yes I own a Duster and am probably the youngest member on this Forum haha) so getting up and down a ladder is no problem.

Its interesting someone managed to do it on a Logan, maybe it will be possible then?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also, I know this is not a video I should be promoting and it is completely the drivers fault but the car ends up on its roof, so it is supporting at least 1294kg. So I am thinking the roof could definitely support me and my partner as well as the tent, just curious about the bars on the roof now...

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Just put the seats flat and sleep in the boot... I can't take credit for that idea though, there was a guy at my work in the early 00s Who used to do just that in an old volvo estate as we where on 16 hour shifts back then. Smelly fellow, but probably too savvy to be filling shelves ;-)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I have considered sleeping in the back, its a shame the seats don't fold flat and have a ridge from the boot to the start of the seat which would make it extremely uncomfortable.

I take your point about safety, I would like to choose my spots very carefully. Also dammit, I wanted to be the youngest!

Ive done some digging into this and realised there should be two weight limits for the bars, one a dynamic weight limit where the car is moving, cornering etc so it is a relatively low limit.

The other weight limit is a static limit, where no forces apart from gravity (and up thrust of course) is acting upon it and apparently this limit is extremely high. Currently contacting Dacia now and should have a reply by Tuesday (seems a bit long to me).

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Yeah, I have considered sleeping in the back, its a shame the seats don't fold flat and have a ridge from the boot to the start of the seat which would make it extremely uncomfortable.

I take your point about safety, I would like to choose my spots very carefully. Also dammit, I wanted to be the youngest!

Ive done some digging into this and realised there should be two weight limits for the bars, one a dynamic weight limit where the car is moving, cornering etc so it is a relatively low limit.

The other weight limit is a static limit, where no forces apart from gravity (and up thrust of course) is acting upon it and apparently this limit is extremely high. Currently contacting Dacia now and should have a reply by Tuesday (seems a bit long to me).
don't the back seats flip up? The guy at my work had a mattress folded up in his volvo, and curtains around the side windows... Must have been murder in summer though... Good luck with the outcome.

·
Registered
985 Posts
not the youngest, tobster is! I wouldn't recommend parking up and sleeping on the roof many places in mainland Europe tbh for your own safety....
Tobster has access to the Duster Forum where this post is, but does not have a Duster. Technically he's correct.

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
hi guys (and/or gals)

ok, so I'm replying to a rather old post...but I only bought my duster in april...since when I have been plotting and scheming to buy (or more likely construct) a roof tent.

I do quite a bit of one-man motorcycle-based camping, and have refined my kit to be lightweight and functional, on the premise that I can 'go small, go simple, go now!' (to borrow from a book on sailing).

to be fair, I can't justify spending a 3-figure sum on yet another tent...but if I can get my hands on a 2-person tent of suitable dimensions...plus some marine ply for a base...I can engineer a suitable solution.

so, I'd be very interested to see/read others' experience of duster roof tents!

joe

p.s. agree with previous comments re. static load being significantly greater than dynamic load - which probably errs on the side of caution to reflect reduced driving stability - due to raised centre of gravity, as well as absolute weight.

p.p.s. I drove my previous suzuki sx4 long distances with a roof box and subsequently roof bags - of similar overall weight. I was surprised at the difference: the roof box (mounted on lateral bars above the longitudinal roof rails) made the car seem top heavy, with very noticeable drag and wind noise...while the roof bags (sitting directly on the roof between the rails, and strapped to the rails) hardly affected the ride, and didn't seem to cause much drag/noise at all!

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
...take your point re. the skoda's fuel economy...by 4k 'CHF' equates to aroung £2.5k- which will still buy quite a bit of fuel!

that said, I wonder how difficult it would be to make one out of MDF...or reverse engineer some ikea flat packs?

Joe

·
Registered
2,808 Posts

Just use a blow up air-bed in the back, and something like a folded towel to even out the ridge in the back.... It will also be duel use as you can use the airbed on a beach or in a pool also.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Hi I slept in mine at beaulieu motor museum, Dcaia day, with my son.

Used carpet covered ply over backs of rear seat( only cloth), and an air bed.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts