UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What roofbars are people using on the new 2018/2019 Dusters,
I have the genuine ones fitted but I need 30inchs of bar showing underneath from foot to foot but they only have 27inch.
Do anyone have Thule. If so what part number are they,thank you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Perhaps a little late - but we've only had our Duster for 3 weeks ;o)
But Ihave fitted Thule's Wingbars using Thule's footpack 775 (may exist in slightly different versions).
Direct and solid bolt-on - been using Thule for years - never failed....except the old Squarebars that tends to whistle like maniacs 1

·
Registered
Dacia Duster 2018 1.5 diesel 115 addblue and a 2013 Sandero 1.5 dci Ambience
78 Posts
Perhaps a little late - but we've only had our Duster for 3 weeks ;o)
But Ihave fitted Thule's Wingbars using Thule's footpack 775 (may exist in slightly different versions).
Direct and solid bolt-on - been using Thule for years - never failed....except the old Squarebars that tends to whistle like maniacs 1
Search Duster ET Roof bars on ebay they are cheaper aero dynamic and lockable, they also have a slight overhang increasing support for larger items. They sit above the oem rails instead of in between them

·
Registered
14 Posts
Search Duster ET Roof bars on ebay they are cheaper aero dynamic and lockable, they also have a slight overhang increasing support for larger items. They sit above the oem rails instead of in between them
Based om my experiences with roof bars and noise over the years, I'd be somewhat carefull trusting anything than personal experience on this subject. So as Thule is sold here - that's where I'll stop experimenting ;o)

On bar length: be aware that Thule's system allows quite different bar lengths for same car - on our old Captur I used antyhing from 110 cm to 135 cm's length. As the foot pack slides into a grooveon the underside of the bar, you just need to figure out/measure the actual distance between feet (across the roof) and buy the appropriate bars - appropriate for your needs, that is - not neccesarily for what Thule recommends ;o)

Lockable ?!- what Thule bars form - lets say - the last 20 years are not lockable ?

That's another beauty of Thule - as long as you stick to the later years models*, all is interchangeable, allowing you to buy 2nd hand ;o)

* - the old system where the tightening knob was integrated in the end of the bars are troublesome as no footpacks are made for years, so nothing matches newer cars - except the bars. But as the bars was only Squarebars and Aerobars back then, it doesn''t really matter ;o)
Aerobars are apparently back in production and considerable less noisy than Squarebars - Wingbars are still kings ;O)

·
Registered
78 Posts
you would have loved fitting my old Thule Bars to my Citroen C5 Mk2 exclusive it took well over an hour bolting them to the little threads cut into the roof which were concealed behind little plastic doors in the gutter channel and they are lockable to, in use they were very noisey this is only as far back as 2015, if your consious over fuel consumption once you put anything on a roof wrack it doesnt really matter which bars you have a preference to using its all going to drink more fuel and thats why they make them removeable.

if your roof bars are noisey people wrap a bungee cord around them and attach the hooks at either end of each bar, the noise is created by the wind forming turbulence as it comes off the trailing edge of the bars. the spiral wrapped bungee cord breaks up this turbulance in use.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well - a bungee cord wrapped around the bar doesn't help with Thule's noise; the culprits are the grooves cut into the underside of the bars. Unfortunately - that's exactly those grooves you need to fit the feets into....
MontBlanc solved this years ago by suppllying 4 little rubber strips which you ut to correct length and mounted into the grooves - that took care of the noise - Thule never quite adapted this idea. Tape or the like doesn't really work to block of theese grooes - at least not for long :eek:(
Thule's Wingbars has a sliding piece of plastic mounted on the inside of the grooves - remember to slide them all the way out to the feets when mounting the bars - it can make a big difference.
Another perhaps not so obvoius thing is where you mount the front bar - lengthwise !
If your roof allows you to mount the front bar in different positions - try and move them as far back as possible. The further forward - the more they are in the wind comming up over the front screen...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Quick update on these, done a 1000 or so miles with them now. With the roof box on, no noise at all. Without roof box they howl a little between 55 and 65mph , but is not really loud. They have a rubber infill strip for the top groove and there is no grooves on the underside.

On the whole, they are good for the price point. Biggest draw back from my point of view is the loading width is quite narrow as the bars terminate in the bracket. I don't think you would get three bikes across.

·
Registered
78 Posts
That
Quick update on these, done a 1000 or so miles with them now. With the roof box on, no noise at all. Without roof box they howl a little between 55 and 65mph , but is not really loud. They have a rubber infill strip for the top groove and there is no grooves on the underside.

On the whole, they are good for the price point. Biggest draw back from my point of view is the loading width is quite narrow as the bars terminate in the bracket. I don't think you would get three bikes across.
This why Im going for these they overhang slightly but they also come with the rubber strip for the underside which you cut to length to keep the noise down.ET Roof Bar Set For Dacia Duster 14-17 Open Rails Aluminium Pair + 2 Keys | eBay yes I know it says up until 2017 but apparently they fit the 2018 models to. No need to worry about the width off the roof bars as they are fully adjustable.

I have seen some people in the caravan club using a spoiler attached to the front roofbar to reduce wind noise and improve fuel consumption, some even made their own out of light plywood and covered them in solar film which is sold at model shops in many different colours to cover model aircraft wings and you iron it on. on the bottom edge they fix the clear plastic door guard strip which you can buy by the meter on ebay. if your really skint I suppose you could split some hosepipe and use that on the bottom edge to protect the roof. on the top edge they drilled 4 holes and used zip ties to hold the spoiler in place but caravan enthusiasts tend not to remove the roof wrack until they get home from their hols. to hold it down on the bottom corners 2 small holes were drilled one at each corner and it was zip tied to the roof wrack mounting brackets.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts