UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The dealer phoned me yesterday to say that in a previous life I'd apparently ordered a Duster...!

To be fair it will actually be available 11 days earlier than their original, optimistic estimate so no complaints really!

However, it's now time to clear up a few things ready to query next Thursday, and any advice/comments would be appreciated.

First, the English-language 'handbook' I've downloaded from the internet seems to be North-American and recommends, for diesels, no more than 2,500rpm for the first 1500km (km? Canadian perhaps?). I wondered if this is also the advice for Europe? I've always been gentle with new engines for at least 500 miles despite the supplier's recomendations to 'just get on with it' but this is the first time I've seen a specific limit for many years. Although no stranger to new cars or diesels this is the first time I've actually combined the two and had a new diesel so perhaps this is normal? 2,500rpm isn't a great burden, except that it equates to about 105kph (65mph) for our lower-geared 4x4 on our 130kph (81mph) autoroutes!

Next is the Eco mode. Reading the comments here I'll leave it off, and as it presumably defaults to 'off' I don't think I'll bother asking where the switch is!

The gear change indicator? Where and what is it please? Logic says it compares revs with road speed, but can it calculate 'load' too? Either way I think I'd like to be able to turn it off if possible. (Although it needs to be 'on' for the OH whose gear changing is totally random and who is only sometimes in the right gear on the autoroutes or stopped at traffic lights!)

Lastly, a French-language Dacia magazine has a piece on Tyre Pressure Monitoring Systems (TPMS) in which it says it is compulsory on new cars and which Dacia has fitted since November 2014; There's no mention in the spec sheets, although the 4x4 system does appaerently pick up front/rear discrepancies, so I wondered whether this is now standard on the Duster?

Any comments or experience most welcome.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hi,

I bought a new 4x4 Duster in Jan 2015. The dealer advised max revs to be no more than 2000 rpm (but ok to go slightly over once in a while if needed) for 900 miles. In 6th gear i still got up to 70 MPH.

Was told to forget about ECO, until the engine is fully run in10,000 miles, we live in a very rural area (hills & bends).

The gear change indicator - you have to live with, but after my initial 900 miles, i tend to ignore. The wife loves it !!!

I have TPMS on my 4x4 Duster, had to order a new set for my extra set of steel wheels for winter tyres.

Hope this helps

Geraint

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many thanks Geraint - answers all my queries.

Interesting about your engine revs/road speed. My French brochure gives the 110 4x4 gear ratio as 41.82 km/hr per 1000 rpm - which gives 104.55kph (64.96mph) at 2500 rpm. The 4x2 by comparison is 46.6/1000, 116kph/72.07mph.

Which raises the interesting possibility that UK spec 4x4s are slightly higher geared, or possibly that speedo error is in evidence. My Citroen Picasso was only 2kph fast at 90kph (56mph) but both my current MG and Suzuki Vitara are at least 5mph fast at the same speed according to ther satnav GPS receivers!

Have you tried comparing your speedo with a GPS when travelling at a steady speed?

Thanks again for the prompt and informative reply

·
Registered
60 Posts
My handbook (UK) stated 2500rpm as the running in limit for the first 1000 miles. Which I've stuck to, but never gone above 70.
The dealer just stated that I should just do that and avoid any harsh engine braking.

I've kept away from the eco button, I worry that it will make me vegetarian.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Try and run the engine in on long runs, so you reduce the number of heating and cooling cycles while its tight. Don't expect wonderful performance - and don't ask for it. Its worth the trouble.

·
Registered
517 Posts
The Gear Change Indicator, its a guide as to when to change gear, a light appears on taco up arrow for change up, down arr . . . . . you get it! The thing is quite intelligent it does sense engine load, if you're going to try for long periods between fill ups its a good guide.

BUT I would tend to let the engine rev a little more freely than the indicator suggests (change up a bit later than indicated)while the car is running in because until the engine is run in it wont be producing its rated power so it could bog down - was my experience for what its worth.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Difference on My Stepway between GPS and speedo is 3mph. ie GPS 30 speedo 27 mph.
that's nothing, when my wife had her old ka I used to lose her in my focus, she accused me of speeding to lose her, in fact we swapped over and found her speedo to be 6mph out at 30mph, also at 70mph she was only doing late 50s according to me following in the focus.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Speedo readings on European cars always read about 6% over what you are actually doing. This allows for tyre wear and changing wheel sizes etc so under no circumstances can a manufacturer be blamed for you speeding

1 - 11 of 11 Posts