UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I picked up my brand new Duster on 27th April, and finally today everything is as it should have been.

Brief history:

The day after I picked it up I noticed that the trip computer didn't work. Only the last 2 digits of the odometer/mpg/trip/etc. display worked, this only became apparent once I had done a few miles. They had a look, acknowledged it didn't work and ordered the part. "It should be here in a few days", said the service booking lady, before she was corrected, "oh it might take a but longer because its a Dacia".

A week after I got it I drove to Scarborough for a run, and showed it off to my friend near there. He said "David would love to see this", so we went to see David, who used to have the franchise for LADA cars. Lifted the bonnet and he pointed out rust along the sharp edges. There was also rust under the end of the door seals. The shame of having rust pointed out to you by a man from LADA!!!

So after much photo taking, and hassle with the dealer, I took it to the Renault Bodyshop in Liverpool to be resprayed, and they did a good job. The manager there said she thought the paint was very thin, and maybe they were only giving it a "whoosh", when it should have been a "whoosh whooosh". The rust under the door seals was blamed on a clip inside the seals. (I think it was just that the paint was too thin, same as under the bonnet. The old door seals were replaced for a month and no rust came back)

When I picked up the car the guy asked, "Who fitted your parking sensors?", because they damaged the paintwork when they prised the bumper off. I said they had been fitted by Dacia!

So back to Renault Bolton again, bit more hassle getting them to look at it. Finally last week it went in to have the paintwork damage repaired as well as new door seals (I was repeatedly told "these costs £1,100 each" - I didn't care) and a new dash fitted. Next day I got a call, "we've been sent the wrong dash", apparently it was the right part number on the box, but the wrong part inside.

So back again today for it to be fitted. They sent for a taxi so I could go into town rather than wait around for hours

New dash fitted, all seems to be working now. Three and a half months after I first picked it up its as it should have been on the day I collected it.

I got them to put the car on the lift and had a good look underneath. Didn't see any rust, plenty of under-seal, there are some holes like in the "missing grommets" threads, but I am assured this is OK and the holes did appear to have under-seal on them.

As a bonus, its like having a new car, especially as the trip meter is back to zero. So several trips to Scarborough, the Lake District, North Wales and a 4 day driving holiday in France and Belgium via Dover have been wiped from history!

Cakes all round!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Good news Chris . Deep sigh of relief and hopefully an end to chasing people to get it resolved ? Perhaps now you can enjoy your car the way it should have been from the outset !
Peter

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
How come if you order metallic paint from Renault you pay £495 and get 5 year warranty but Dacia owners who splash out the exact same amount have to contend with 2 years cover only

·
Events Committee Member
1,022 Posts
Great news Chris even better that your mileage is back to zero :D

·
Super Moderator
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How come if you order metallic paint from Renault you pay £495 and get 5 year warranty but Dacia owners who splash out the exact same amount have to contend with 2 years cover only
I think Dacia's answer would be that a Renault costs several thousand pounds more and you are paying for the extra warranty in the price of the Renault.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Great news Chris even better that your mileage is back to zero :D
Is a note made on the cars service history/central records that the mileage recorder ( odometer ? ) has been replaced ?

·
Super Moderator
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is a note made on the cars service history/central records that the mileage recorder ( odometer ? ) has been replaced ?
I mentioned this to the chief mechanic (Not the one who did it). The technical manual says, when the dash is replaced, to write the old mileage in the service record book, but my display never worked, so I don't know what the mileage was. He just dismissed it. The book was in the glovebox, I haven't checked if they have written anything in it, I will do later.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I think Dacia's answer would be that a Renault costs several thousand pounds more and you are paying for the extra warranty in the price of the Renault.
Fare enough but I have to disagree' true the cars cost a lot more but parts and servicing are just as expensive for Dacia owners

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
YAY.... !!!! :D :D :D :D :D

George :wub: is very very excited cos Rusty is mended.....and all your brilling wiped from existence !!!

Does this affect the space time continuum ????!!!!

Thrilled for you Chris....you'll sleep well tonite ....at last !

DM x

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
chriss

for u this is going to turn out to be an experience out of the matrix

i was or not to france and belgium

i have memories of that .....or have i not....hmmm ;) ;)

·
Events Committee Member
1,022 Posts
I've looked in the Service Book, and nothing has been noted in it about the Mileage.
So obviously you will be going straight there in the morning to tell them ;)

·
Registered
198 Posts
I've looked in the Service Book, and nothing has been noted in it about the Mileage.
Good . One bit of the whole saga is in your favour then. !!

Peter

Reactions: Dougal1957
1 - 20 of 23 Posts