UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are several long (and rather unwieldy) threads on here about rust appearing on brand new cars.

I understand that this mostly seems to affect the Access models in white. I however have a metallic silver car, which within a month of delivery is showing signs of rust to the rear sills in the passenger door opening.

The thread supply a lot of theorising and speculation about the Dacia paint processes, but does anyone have any first hand experience of what Dacia actually do about it when you bring the car back to them?

I'd be a bit concerned if I were only offered some sort of patch-up job on a brand new car (not least because I'd be wondering where the rust was likely to poke through next)?

Posted Via The DaciaForum.co.uk App

·
Registered
836 Posts
There are several long (and rather unwieldy) threads on here about rust appearing on brand new cars.
Sorry you have joined the Rusty Duster club you are not alone , as you can see an 84 page thread means it is quite extensive .
I understand that this mostly seems to affect the Access models in white. Thats where it initial was discovered due to the lack of paint on them , however it is now apparent that it is on all models . I however have a metallic silver car, which within a month of delivery is showing signs of rust to the rear sills in the passenger door opening. If you have it there the likely hood is you will have it under the door seal itself , the child lock on the rear door and the roof scuttle under that roof rubber seal . Please look in those locations .

The thread supply a lot of theorising and speculation about the Dacia paint processes, but does anyone have any first hand experience of what Dacia actually do about it when you bring the car back to them?

I'd be a bit concerned if I were only offered some sort of patch-up job on a brand new car (not least because I'd be wondering where the rust was likely to poke through next)? From all reports it is a patch job . You need to think very quickly if you are going to reject the car , TonyL on here has not seen his car for months now and under the warranty is not entitled to a temporary car while he awaits repairs /rejection . I know it is difficult but try and read the last 20 pages of the rusty duster thread and contact some of the members directly by private message . I am sure they will give you their tail of woo , but they also have immensive knowledge .

·
Registered
167 Posts
well seeing that VAG would also give you a patch job if rust covered by warranty is found i cant see Dacia doing anything better.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the replies. This is what I feared.

I wonder whether they are all going to turn out to rot as with old Lancias, or whether it is only some defective models?

Trouble is, I am going to be in a similar situation if I now reject the vehicle; it'd leave me without any transport. I had to wait months for my current car to be delivered, so I'm guessing that it is not even as though they are likely to supply an 'off the pet's replacement. :(

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
...supposed to read: "off the peg"!! Autocorrect. My deadliest foe.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Thank you for the replies. This is what I feared.

I wonder whether they are all going to turn out to rot as with old Lancias, or whether it is only some defective models?

Trouble is, I am going to be in a similar situation if I now reject the vehicle; it'd leave me without any transport. I had to wait months for my current car to be delivered, so I'm guessing that it is not even as though they are likely to supply an 'off the pet's replacement. :(

check your private messages

·
Registered
135 Posts
It is only cars made in India that are a problem, that's where they make right hand drive dusters. Left hand drive dusters in the rest of Europe are ok.

UK Sanderos, Stepways, and Logans are coming from production in other countries where there is no similar problems.

If I were you I would be tempted to do a deal to part ex your car for a new Stepway.

·
Registered
220 Posts
When it rains here I am driving on muddy roads until they dry out. The places that seem to collect the most mud are the top of the inside of all four fender wells. I don't know what kind of protection these areas have apart from paint, I doubt any so I am careful to hose them out thoroughly when I wash the car.

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts
It is only cars made in India that are a problem, that's where they make right hand drive dusters. Left hand drive dusters in the rest of Europe are ok.

UK Sanderos, Stepways, and Logans are coming from production in other countries where there is no similar problems.

If I were you I would be tempted to do a deal to part ex your car for a new Stepway.
European cars have the same problems, there are threads on EU forums about rusty Dacias.

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
So far for me and my rusty duster its been a patch up although i am yet to see it as it has been in for a couple of other issues to. I have been reasonably lucky whilst in as was given a hire car to thrash around in.

Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Tapatalk

·
Registered
217 Posts

I understand that this mostly seems to affect the Access models in white. I however have a metallic silver car, which within a month of delivery is showing signs of rust to the rear sills in the passenger door opening.

I'd be a bit concerned if I were only offered some sort of patch-up job on a brand new car (not least because I'd be wondering where the rust was likely to poke through next)?

As one who has noticed rust on my access duster, I contacted my dealer who photographed the affected areas and initiated repairs though customer services. I understood by law you need to give dacia the opportunity to repair any problem first. I am checking virtually daily for any more rust showing through. If any shows I will be back to the dealer as suggested by them. As the car is now 13 months old, I doubt I could legally reject it. The rust didn't show until around 11 months. Although I like the car and it does all that i want, I would happily give up the car if dacia suggested a buy back scheme for rusty dusters. I really didn't expect rust so soon!

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts
There is only one claim of a rusty European duster that has come to light. They have however been in production in Europe (LHD) since 2010. The problem is with the Indian plant.

I know the forum and the threads are for Dusters but I was including other models (like the Logan) as an indicator of Dacias general attitude to the problem.

I don't know if the Duster problem is directly attributable to Chennai or if it's a combination of poor quality metal/finish, sea transport there and here, storage, cheap paint and bad technique. Certainly QC at Chennai is bloody awful but all problems are solvable if Dacia are willing, that's our problem, to get Dacia to step up and fix the issues before the brand gets such a bad name it's not salvageable.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I really like the Duster and am saving so that I can buy one in a year or two. But if these rust problems continue, and no one makes a thread about how it was successfully sorted then I don't think I'd want to go near any Dacia :(

·
Registered
376 Posts
I will update as things progress. Hopefully it is a short term issue that will be sorted.

·
Registered
131 Posts
As one who has noticed rust on my access duster, I contacted my dealer who photographed the affected areas and initiated repairs though customer services. I understood by law you need to give dacia the opportunity to repair any problem first. I am checking virtually daily for any more rust showing through. If any shows I will be back to the dealer as suggested by them. As the car is now 13 months old, I doubt I could legally reject it. The rust didn't show until around 11 months. Although I like the car and it does all that i want, I would happily give up the car if dacia suggested a buy back scheme for rusty dusters. I really didn't expect rust so soon!
iam the same as you had mine 14 months but the rust didnt show until around 11 months! iam going to trading standards on tuesday the door seals are the worst on mine,iam going to another dealer for advice 2mor! mine been waiting for a investigation for 3 months still waiting!!!!

1 - 20 of 72 Posts