UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently found a small spot of RUST under the lip of the bonnet. Gollum went in yesterday for his first service, and will need to be looked at again for bodywork under the warranty.

It seems that DACIA initially wanted to treat the problem the same as they are on Dusters, with lots of posturing and double-bluff under the warranty terms.... I have now had a call from the dealer - ROXBY in Warsash - to say they will arrange an inspection and estimate when they fit my new window trims (the ones supplied have always lifted when using the windows!) and send it off to DACIA for authorisation. Once that is all done, they reckon a couple of days to resolve.....

So glad I changed dealer from SEWARDs - They ignored the dodgy window strips from day one - I had even pointed the problem out pre-delivery!!! If you are thinking of buying a car on the South Coast - you can't go wrong with the ROXBY team!

Attachments

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Been over to Roxby at Warsash and had the window trims on the front doors replaced today. These ones now fit and don't go up and down with the windows..... Whoop Whoop!

The Roxby Bodyshop peeps are coming to my house on Thursday morning, to look at the rust (it is now confirmed!) and sort out the quote for Dacia to pay for the warranty repair, as they got called to an emergency job today and couldn't do the inspection while Gollum was over there.

I notice the Duster statement onthe DACIA website covers a foc courtesy car...... can I expect the same, I wonder? If not, will they buy me a few days of parking permits for outside my house....Hmmmnn??

I am getting more tempted by the day to go to Beaulieu..... depending on the response for this latest problem. I am certain that Sewards would have brushed it off and left me to deal on my own.....

Reactions: Dusterdly & Muttley

·
Registered
131 Posts
Exactly the same place I found rust spots on my Sandero.
Fixed by the dealer, but is there more to this?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Oob.

Oh dear! I do hope we haven't unwittingly bought a rust bucket.... These cars last forever in Europe?! What's so different now they make them for the UK market?

Is your car white or metallic paint?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hi Jodonut,

I am afraid mine is standard white, so the rust shows up even more.
I do inspect the bodywork on regular basis. So far just two instances - under bonnet and rear light cluster.

It doesn't appear to be consistent with places other people are finding rust.

So keep you eyes peeled.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Oob - Poor you! The metallic paint is marginally thicker than the white on the Sandero, so it may take longer, but I am sure it will 'out' if it is there. The main places to look are where any rubber seals are joined, apparently! It seems this creates a weak spot?!? I am now inspecting the car every time I go anywhere - never mind parking the other side of car parks so some moron can't dent my doors..... Don't want to give that rust any opportunity....Eh?

Well... The Roxby chap turned up as arranged - Spot on time!

He took photos, VIN number and had a quick check of the other 'vulnerable' areas for me - Under the door rubbers, at the bottom, where they join together, mainly! He also pulled the rubbers off under the bonnet, and checked along the edges below the wiper mounts. He liked the fact I had added the rubber to the front of the bonnet gap, and got the strut caps now fitted!

He did say they were getting quite a few cars back in now, all with rust appearing! That is worrying, to say the least!

The wait now will be for DACIA to agree to cover the repairs - Three days in the body-shop, apparently. I will be needing a replacement car at their cost as well, then....

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Hi Oob.

Oh dear! I do hope we haven't unwittingly bought a rust bucket.... These cars last forever in Europe?! What's so different now they make them for the UK market?

Is your car white or metallic paint?
They do but in very hot and dry climates like Spain and Turkey. Sadly our wet climate is ideal for Rust. Remember the Italian motor industry suffered the same problem before realizing cars for northern europe need better rust protection then the southern countries.

·
Premium Member
759 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not looking good - And to think we believed the metallic paint may be thicker and correctly dipped......

I have already founds several more spots, which will be photographed next week while the first lot is dealt with, and then I have to wait for warranty authorisation all over again! Seems bloody stupid, but there you go - DACIA, in trying to limit the work, just create more work in the long run! :angry: :ph34r:

·
Registered
836 Posts
Not looking good - And to think we believed the metallic paint may be thicker and correctly dipped......

I have already founds several more spots, which will be photographed next week while the first lot is dealt with, and then I have to wait for warranty authorisation all over again! Seems bloody stupid, but there you go - DACIA, in trying to limit the work, just create more work in the long run! :angry: :ph34r:
Sorry jodonut99 , I really am sorry , you are just about to enter the hell of Dacia customer services .

Would it be possible to post some pictures of the offending areas and their location . From our experience on the Rusty thread once people know where to look , they started to find it . From Clikfire pictures it appears that the metal may be an issue in at least one location , which is very worrying . If the metal is produced at the same plant as the Duster we could be zeroing in on where the problem may have started .

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Dshart - I have been in the Hell that is DACIA CS from pre-delivery...... but that's another story!

As far as the rust is concerned, Roxby at Warsash are all over it like a rash! They could not be more helpful, even ringing me to get the update that the bodyshop haven;t given them directly! The car goes in Tuesday, and I get Citroen C1 to use..... Not looking forward to that!

The rust is:

1) Under the lip of the bonnet, near where the bonnet catch recess is situated.

2) A tiny bit on the o/s rear door, under the wide rubber strip, where the welds join the main panel from the sills. (This really IS microscopic, atm)

3) Drivers door, lower mounting plate welded to side of door.

4) Drivers door, one of the spot welds at the leading edge of the door, where the rust is coming through the paintwork.

5) Bracket between n/s front and rear doors - Looks like first signs of rust.

6) Bonnet catch!!! Only partly painted and going rusty......

Attachments

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
That's terrible jodonut99, I know mines a Logan and still a mystery where they are made, but can't help but think the paintwork is a little shabby on these, in all my days I have never seen such poor paint quality, I know it meant to keep costs down, but how much more will it cost them n the end???? I drive trucks for a living and even though no one would bat an eyelide at those being badly painted, they are finished to a reasonable standard.
Did the rusty bits start out like lumps under the paint? I've got a few of those, and have beem like that since new. and a few bits that aren't entirely painted, like yours my bonnet catch is only half painted, but it is covered in grease.
What are they going to do for you?

Posted Via The DaciaForum.co.uk App

·
Registered
836 Posts
Hi Dshart - I have been in the Hell that is DACIA CS from pre-delivery...... but that's another story!

As far as the rust is concerned, Roxby at Warsash are all over it like a rash! They could not be more helpful, even ringing me to get the update that the bodyshop haven;t given them directly! The car goes in Tuesday, and I get Citroen C1 to use..... Not looking forward to that!

The rust is:

1) Under the lip of the bonnet, near where the bonnet catch recess is situated.

2) A tiny bit on the o/s rear door, under the wide rubber strip, where the welds join the main panel from the sills. (This really IS microscopic, atm)

3) Drivers door, lower mounting plate welded to side of door.

4) Drivers door, one of the spot welds at the leading edge of the door, where the rust is coming through the paintwork.

5) Bracket between n/s front and rear doors - Looks like first signs of rust.

6) Bonnet catch!!! Only partly painted and going rusty......
Thank you jodonut99 . My advice to Sandero owners is to start looking NOW . If two owners have found it the likelyhood there will be others .

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
To be fair I'm not scared of the rust, we've been there, and are still living with it on our other car, it is unsightly but it can (mostly) all be cut out and replaced.
Its the fact that so many are affected by it, for some people this Is their first brand new car, and some people say they are cheap in the first place, but for some its a massive amount of money for them to spend.

I bet it doesn't feel that special to them now, dacia or if need be Renault must do what's right by the people who pay for their offices and everything else, and they need to move fast or they might as well kiss goodbye to their sales in the UK, as people will lose faith in them as a serious manufacturer.

·
Registered
313 Posts
It is the time consuming energy draining fight with DACIA / Renault every time you notice something isn't right.... THAT is the real issue to me! The rust (while it SHOULD NOT be appearing on a 12 month old car) can be treated, although they won't say HOW they are going to do this..... Will the repair(s) be covered if it comes back again, I wonder... When it is mounting bolts and brackets affected, will they put new ones in, because they cannot possibly strip back enough to treat the metal underneath the welds.....? I have already noticed more, and that will have to be done after this bit is repaired... What a bloody stupid waste of time!

Seriously, I am now wishing I had bought a Seat or something! As much as I LOVE Gollum, I am fed up with the constant issues I have had since ordering. As for cheap car - He was just over £10k, being a 0.9 TCe Laureate, with met paint, leather interior, pro pack, spare wheel, and a private plate.

Firstly the lies from Sewards about ordering and delivery - They sold the one that should have been mine to someone else... and ordered me another that added a months delay at the front end. The Sales Manager blatantly lied about this in writing to me and told me he was aware he "Was passing the buck" by blaming DACIA for the delays...

Then the lies from Sewards AND DACIA regarding the pre-delivery issues with the power steering failure - Where Gollum then spent 8-9 weeks sat in a shitty, dusty car park (field?!) in Sunderland, before apparently having a seal replaced (not the entire ps unit as I was told). Then on delivery the window rubbers were all dodgy, and although pointed out, it took going to the new dealer, Roxby at Warsash, to finally get me new ones that fit properly....

When the wiper motor packed up, Sewards (still the 'dealer' at that time) swapped the unit with what appeared to be a 2nd hand one from a used Clio on the forecourt, and this also developed a fault. I got 'banned' from Sewards then, because I complained in writing to Sean Perry, and my Mum told the service manager he could 'redeem Sewards' by getting the repairs sorted. I was screamed and shouted at by Perry, some of it in front of customers, and he threw his toys out of the cot...... Moronic Prat! (I'm STILL waiting for the banning letter, and have been sent Platinum Seward Club Membership through...?) I walked out and went to Roxby, who are BRILLIANT! They ordered me a new wiper motor and replaced it while I waited.

Throughout the whole debacle, DACIA CS have been about as useful as a snotty tissue when you have the flu....and are caught in a rainstorm. Thank God for Roxby, who listen and act with amazing support and determination. I actually feel sorry they are caught up in all this!

In a nutshell, I am now regretting buying a DACIA, and if I could off-load Gollum without a big hit to my money, then I would go for a Seat or back to Kia or Hyundai..... I have had both, and know the build quality is generally good! Sad that he was meant to be my new car that lasted for yearss....and already he is rusting away. He is not my first new car, but definitely the worst new car! I hate saying I want rid, but to be always looking for the next problem is not good and is causing me resentment. I pamper my motorbikes, and would have done the same for Gollum, but I really can't be bothered now.... :( :( :angry: :ph34r: I HATE 'FRENCH' CARS!

Reactions: dshart

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
To be fair I'm not scared of the rust, we've been there, and are still living with it on our other car, it is unsightly but it can (mostly) all be cut out and replaced.
Its the fact that so many are affected by it, for some people this Is their first brand new car, and some people say they are cheap in the first place, but for some its a massive amount of money for them to spend.

I bet it doesn't feel that special to them now, dacia or if need be Renault must do what's right by the people who pay for their offices and everything else, and they need to move fast or they might as well kiss goodbye to their sales in the UK, as people will lose faith in them as a serious manufacturer.

Don't think not being scared comes into it; how old is your other car? you and others paid good money for new cars' we should not be having this conversation

1 - 20 of 95 Posts