UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Am thinking of buying a 0.9 or 1.2 Laureate and was worried about reliability etc can any owners provide me with feedback, am looking to get rid of my Mx5 due to not having regular work for the past 3 years and want a cheap to buy and run car that will last as this will be my last car that i will run into the ground. My only worry with the 0.9 is if the turbo goes wrong as these are an expensive fix as i will be keeping this long term, have test drove the 0.9 and was well impressed, other cars i am considering are Skoda Citigo, Hyundai I10, would appreciate your comments.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'd go for the 0.9, well that's what we have done no qualms about the turbo the cars under warranty. Looked at the Hyundai and the Skoda but did not want another small car, as a 2 times Skoda owner was pretty shocked at the Skoda prices.

·
Registered
122 Posts
The Citigo is a city car , not a super mini . Its a size /class below the Sandero . You need to compare it to the Fabia .

·
Registered
182 Posts
having run a clio1.2[the same engine as in the sandero]l would plum for that subject to your mileage and driving style.given the not inconsiderable new cost savingsand l had no problems with a well sorted and generally cheap to fix engine,and it went ok given its brief.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The Citigo is a city car , not a super mini . Its a size /class below the Sandero . You need to compare it to the Fabia .
Same goes for the i10. I saw a piece in What Car recently comparing the Sandero and the i10. For our small family the i10 isn't big enough, they are two completely different cars function-wise. I suppose they've got to fill the magazine somehow!

·
Formally "2Dusterschris"
363 Posts
My friend has owned a Sandero Ambiance 1.2 for a week now. I've driven more than 100 miles in it and have given it a really good look over.

In my opinion the car drives and handles well, with plenty of power from the 1.2 engine. As it is not yet run in, it will become more powerful.

The build quality is excellent. Most of the components are tried and tested, so my feeling is this car will provide excellent long-term reliability and durability.

Although Dacias are cheap to buy and rather basic, a lot of thought has gone into their design, so that they are very functional and useful cars.

My recommendation for the right balance of price, functionality, style and durability is the Ambiance 1.2.

·
Registered
382 Posts
My friend has owned a Sandero Ambiance 1.2 for a week now. I've driven more than 100 miles in it and have given it a really good look over.

In my opinion the car drives and handles well, with plenty of power from the 1.2 engine. As it is not yet run in, it will become more powerful.

The build quality is excellent. Most of the components are tried and tested, so my feeling is this car will provide excellent long-term reliability and durability.

Although Dacias are cheap to buy and rather basic, a lot of thought has gone into their design, so that they are very functional and useful cars.

My recommendation for the right balance of price, functionality, style and durability is the Ambiance 1.2.
When I looked at the prices and the specs I thought the same as I don't do massive miles (car stays on drive while I cycle to work) but I liked the idea of a new car with long warranty and no M.O.T's for 3 years and going for a more economical engine wouldn't have yielded massive savings but would've took the Sandero out of my price range so it was a choice of 1.2 or no new car! but thought the little 0.9 engine was a real giggle on the test drive when the turbo kicked in (they hadn't got a 1.2 to test)

Reactions: antavi

·
Registered
313 Posts
Gone from the Hyundai Getz 1.1 CDX to the 0.9 Sandero Laureate - Brilliant car and more room than the Hyundai. Runs smoothly and already averaging 40mpg on running in having only done about 100 miles in 5 days.... :)

Reactions: antavi

·
Sandero Forum Moderator
861 Posts
Bought the 1.2 and we love it. About 400 miles in and the engine is loosening up nicely now.

This engine is tried and tested in the Clio's and as a Renault mechanic mate said "Bullet proof"

·
Formally "2Dusterschris"
363 Posts
I've just clocked up almost 400 miles in 4 days here in the West Country in my friend's Sandero Ambiance 1.2.

We've driven on the M5, down country lanes and in heavy traffic in town.

The car has been terrific. It reminds me of those basic models of cars that you get when you hire a car abroad. When you jump in it all seems a bit stripped out, lacking in equipment. Then you drive off and find it's the fastest car you've ever driven for years and much more fun than anything you might own back in the UK!

Now it's not very accurate but I estimate the fuel economy to have been around 45mpg.

I will say it again, because it's true, the Sandero is much better built than my Duster.

A cracking car which puts the fun back into motoring.

·
Sandero Forum Moderator
319 Posts
I've just clocked up almost 400 miles in 4 days here in the West Country in my friend's Sandero Ambiance 1.2.

We've driven on the M5, down country lanes and in heavy traffic in town.

The car has been terrific. It reminds me of those basic models of cars that you get when you hire a car abroad. When you jump in it all seems a bit stripped out, lacking in equipment. Then you drive off and find it's the fastest car you've ever driven for years and much more fun than anything you might own back in the UK!

Now it's not very accurate but I estimate the fuel economy to have been around 45mpg.

I will say it again, because it's true, the Sandero is much better built than my Duster.

A cracking car which puts the fun back into motoring.
Yes

I have to agree but am I glad I went for the laureate as in this weather the Aircon is a blessing in disguise. I alos don't think that your economy figures are way out either I reckon I got something like 42-45 MPG on a recent trip camping to Weymouth on the south coast did about 700-750 miles on a about 1.6 tanks of fuel (arround 80 litres I reckon in total) and 500 miles of that was towing a 500 Kg trailor.

Mine has now covered over 3000 miles and has not had any problems at all. by the way the reason i got what i have is down to the lack of supply of the Duster Access at the time and I needed to move a little quicker dealer had this in stock so order to delivery 4 days.

·
Formally "2Dusterschris"
363 Posts
Almost a further 400 miles in two days in the aforementioned Sandero Ambiance 1.2, Weston-Super-Mare to the Festival of Speed, Goodwood, then on to Weymouth strangely enough. We weren't hanging about and a few miles were spent crawling in traffic jams.

I did an accurate, brim to brim fuel economy calculation and the figure obtained was 43mpg.

The car has now travelled 1,600 miles and I expect economy will improve after a few more thousands of miles.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I have an i10 and it's a brilliant little car. 4 doors, but it is smaller than the Sandero. If you don't need much boot capacity no issues - for me and husband and dog it's fine. For us real life milage is 40mpg every day all day - but we mostly do trips through traffic so can't complain.

We have to run two cars, and it's the second car I am looking at changing for a Duster or another big car, so we have one small and one large. If I could afford it I'd have a big Hyundai for the second car, but I can't.

If I could only have one car it would be the i10, build quality is great, I cannot fault it. Also nippy and fun to drive, with a 5 year warranty included.

At the end of the day it all depends on your needs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts