UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Banned
5,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Strange one..........................

All stepways come with alloys according to the manufacturers specs, however, look at this video clip and you will see that they appear to be black alloys with a plastic wheeltrim over the top. You need to look at the video at 3mins 25secs to see what I mean....... very odd! never seen this done on a car before.

the next clip show them being tested in the factory with the black alloys minus the silver plastic covers on............. must be true! watch from 5mins 45secs for proof.

has anyone else noticed this before..............?

cheers
Geraint

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Yeah. Lots of manufacturers do this to keep cost down. Vauxhall have a few models with look-a-Likey alloys. My opinion may change when I see them in the flesh, so to speak, but at least with a wheel trim that is of good quality should be cheaper to replace then an alloy should it get ding'd

·
Banned
5,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking the same. I wonder how much the spare trims would be then cos an alloy repair is only £40........? Im already thinking that I could have darker wheels by removing the trims and getting them colour coded anthracite................ hmmmmmm. I must stop!

·
Registered
431 Posts
They look just like regular metal wheels to me with gloss black paint and have larger spacings to make them look alloy like and plastic hub caps with similar spacings to finish the look.

Basically the same as the Dusters standard wheels which have been sprayed silver to make them look like alloys too.

I personally have no issue with them but don't be fooled into thinking their Alloys, I reckon they are plain steel wheels.

That is not to say you can't get them powder coated to a colour close to your car.

Also what you need to remember is that we in the UK/Ireland do get a slightly higher specs than that offered else where so if it says Alloys as standard then proper Alloys is what you will get as standard.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Any one have any Info on the alloy wheel's pcd fitment size? from pictures its a 4 stud affair following suit of older renault models. Got a spare set of allows for winter and hoping i can double them on the car

·
Registered
40 Posts
Good video find Geraint, well found.
When I started researching the stepway I was advised by the dealer that the two main differences between the standard sandero and stepway which warranted the extra expense was the metallic paint and alloy wheels. This was also bourne out by several reviews by the likes of whatcar and autocar etc. Now as the video would appear to prove these do not appear to be true alloys and even their brochure describes the 16 inch wheels as "stepway design wheels" and no mention of alloy?
Feeling a little bit duped at the moment

·
Registered
535 Posts
Good video find Geraint, well found.
When I started researching the stepway I was advised by the dealer that the two main differences between the standard sandero and stepway which warranted the extra expense was the metallic paint and alloy wheels. This was also bourne out by several reviews by the likes of whatcar and autocar etc. Now as the video would appear to prove these do not appear to be true alloys and even their brochure describes the 16 inch wheels as "stepway design wheels" and no mention of alloy?
Feeling a little bit duped at the moment
There are true alloy wheels if you want. Those hub caps that are alloys look alike are a smart alternative if you don't get the real alloys. Far nicer than traditional hub caps.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yep the Sandero Stepway will have 16" steel wheels with "alloy-style" trims but at least the wheels are the same shape as the trims so that the black wheel is not visible once the trim is fitted. They look convincing and will definitely be cheap, quick and easy to replace rather than having a wheel refurbished.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Does this mean the trim can fly off, leaving us with one black wheel showing?!

·
Registered
29 Posts
On the demo car we test drove, they have the wheels as per above. They look just like alloys though, and pretty cool ones too, so it wouldn't bother me. They are very convincing and I'm pretty fussy when it comes to stuff like that.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Not sure if these would be a direct replacement as they're 2008 to 2013, but if anyone decided to not bother with the spare wheel option and get alloys, £300.00 to £400 would get you a set of alloys, you would have 4 spare wheels. Add the cost of the transferring the tyres onto the alloys and add a a tyre for the spare wheel.and your laughing.

http://www.wheelbasealloys.com/dacia_sandero_stepway__SS56_%2ASandero*Stepway_1151_4

·
Registered
17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
One possibility, to secure the trims, is to carefully drill small holes in one, or two, of the trim spokes and feed cable ties through the drilled holes and behind the trim spoke and secure around the wheel spoke. Ties across the front of the trim spoke would be really obvious and spoil the look of the trim. Silver cable ties are manufactured which would be less noticeable. The only problem might be that the trims are so tight fitting it may not be possible to do it this way. As you can probably tell i have lost trims on various cars over the years and in the days when most cars used trims, it was a regular occurrence to see trims on the roadside. I would add that anyone trying modifications to the trims do so at their own risk lol. It could be that trims are a lot better than they used to be and no longer fall off. Here's a link to some silver cable ties.

http://www.cabletiesonline.co.uk/cable-ties-coloured/cable-ties-370mm-x-4-8mm-silver/prod_786.html

1 - 20 of 64 Posts