UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh Noes!

Just about to go out and notice a screw in the tyre.

tyre.jpg

The screwhead is worn so it may have been there for a while, the tyre seems fully inflated. I started to unscrew it and air started to come out so I screwed it back in again.

Replacement Tyre at Kwik Fit (same brand/size/model) is £99.50 but they can't do it till tomorrow, Local Equipe garage can do it today and wanted £118 but agreed to match the Kwik-fit price.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
an inner tube is dangerous on a 4x4 chris

what you need is a tyre repair.....a proper one.....sticky soldier done properly from the inside

only cost about £15.....and you can run for miles on one....Antavi did 30,000km on a repaired one

This was discussed on here just before christmas as I had a screw in Georges Tyre

Georges was between the tread......

yours is more on the edge though....and that may affect whether a repair can be done safely

·
Registered
131 Posts
because the puncture is on the tyre tread they should be able to repair it.

It is only if the puncture is on the tyre wall then a replacement is necessary.

Rather than fork out for a new a tyre, I would ask about repairing it.

Are you sure you are not being sold a new tyre unecessarily? I would try a another tyre fitter?

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
i have done 4000 miles on the repaired tyre so far Chris....

Its just been swapped front to back as part of his 1st service...

no worries....

oh and kwik fit tried to sell me one too......not necessary !!!!!

DM x

·
Super Moderator
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kwik Fit suggested a repair, as long as it was in the middle third of the tyre, which it isn't.

Also I'll be pulling a caravan, with the extra weight on the rear where this tyre is, so think a replacement is safer. I'm also not going for a cheaper tyre as I prefer to have the same tyre all round, just in case.

If its not one thing its another, 2 days ago my front door lock stopped working. The door was only installed 2 years ago. Called insurance - £250 excess plus increased premiums, Insurers recommended locksmith said £120 to come out and replace the lock but when he arrived it was £120 to secure the door, and then more to have the lock replaced some time later. I sent him away. Called local company, £58 for a new lock. I pointed out that they were £30 on eBay and they came down to £40. I fitted it myself.

·
Formally "2Dusterschris"
363 Posts
BSAU159 is the relevant standard for repair of punctures.

For a tyre with a nominal section width of 215mm repairs are only allowed in the middle 151mm of the tread. That tyre is clearly not repairable and you were advised correctly by all concerned.

I use Mytyres ( www.mytyres.co.uk ) as a good index of tyre prices and they are asking £85 for Duster tyres before fitting. £99.50 for a single tyre, fitted, seems fair.

Shame the tyre is a write-off. Estimating from my current tyre wear and mileage I wouldn't be surprised if Duster tyres are good for 40-50,000 miles!

·
Premium Member
4,020 Posts
BSAU159 is the relevant standard for repair of punctures.
For a tyre with a nominal section width of 215mm repairs are only allowed in the middle 151mm of the tread. That tyre is clearly not repairable and you were advised correctly by all concerned.
I use Mytyres ( www.mytyres.co.uk ) as a good index of tyre prices and they are asking £85 for Duster tyres before fitting. £99.50 for a single tyre, fitted, seems fair.
Shame the tyre is a write-off. Estimating from my current tyre wear and mileage I wouldn't be surprised if Duster tyres are good for 40-50,000 miles!
Why not fit the spare wheel and have a 'cheap' tyre fitted as the new spare wheel or are the wheels not all the same? On the Stepway all wheels are the same, so that is what I would do :)

·
Super Moderator
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Normally I click on the smiley at the top of the editing screen, next to "My media" and they appear at the bottom, which is off the screen, so I have to scroll down a bit to see them. This is on the desktop, I don't know about the app. :ph34r: :ph34r:

·
Premium Member
4,020 Posts
Normally I click on the smiley at the top of the editing screen, next to "My media" and they appear at the bottom, which is off the screen, so I have to scroll down a bit to see them. This is on the desktop, I don't know about the app. :ph34r: :ph34r:
I used to be able to do that but they are now all 'greyed' out :-(

·
Premium Member
4,020 Posts
Thats how I find my smileys as well they are good
97c164757edffabbc431c2cd50bfd4ad0317ab46
bbe260d7bc75bd75f5db16c897ac89bf91f76908
beer.gif
I do have the Posh daciaforum release though
5982699766763dbffadbf3cf46c1ffb788bc5f1d
I think I have found a 'switch symbol' at the top left, appears to have put them back on ! Sorry to have bothered you Chris !! :wub: All working now I hate computers <_<

·
Super Moderator
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
When I got to the tyre place they asked for the locking wheel nut key. I know I put it, and the original wheel nuts, in the compartment where the tyre inflator is when I picked up the car, but they weren't there. Had all the boot out, looked in the glove compartment, no sign.

Went home again, still with screw in tyre, looked in garage, no sign of them, but I knew I'd never have taken them out of the boot.

Checked again, they had slipped down the back of the panel! Grrrrr.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts