UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have recently put a deposit (£100) to secure a pre reg dacia duster at my local retailer. I'm more than a bit worried about the rust problems I keep hearing about. I dont want to pay 12k for a car that could show such early signs of rust. Its my first new car and want it to be perfect, im thinking of not going through now, am I being too hasty?

·
Registered
13 Posts
My Duster is three days old I've read all the rusty duster threads but it would seem as usual the minority shout louder than the majority, people do have problems with rust but the vast majority don't.

I love the duster and I cant help myself when I'm driving around looking at similar cars and thinking mines £8000 cheaper than yours and looks better.

Ultimately this is why we have a warranty I bought a new Focus ST when they first came out and that sucker was in and out of the dealers like you wouldn't believe.

For the price the Duster is incredible value value for money ????
Sent from my RM-937_eu_euro1_231 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
349 Posts
Go for it, the percentage is low.
Metallic paint appears to be less prone. But even then it appears to have been a bad batch that shoild have been rectified by now

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All very true about shouting loudest and I agree with the price and the look of the dusters- simply put they cannot be beaten!

Maybe I just dont want the risk having known and seen rust issues, how hard would I kick myself if it did had rust issues?. If im being honest I have no car knowledge and this is one of the reasons for getting a new car. On the car ive secured there was a bit of brown rust type stain on the silver plastic side sills, I wasnt off put at the time but now you start to think where is it coming from?

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Only thing to consider' even if the vast majority are rust free you could find your guilty by association. What I mean is the brand name Dacia could always be linked to Rusty cars and you could find it impossible to sell later on. If you have the slightest inking the car your after has rust then walk away.

·
Registered
13 Posts
God I remember when Skoda came out lol "how do you double the price of a skoda - fill the tank ! "
And look at them now in a few years time the Dacia's will be unrecognizable to the Dacia's of today.

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts
Problem there Avre is you bought todays' model ;)

Like you I love my duster even a year on, it's a great car to drive.

·
Registered
13 Posts
True however in present market market todays model is actually really good value when compared with its rivals.

·
Registered
324 Posts
All very true about shouting loudest and I agree with the price and the look of the dusters- simply put they cannot be beaten!

Maybe I just dont want the risk having known and seen rust issues, how hard would I kick myself if it did had rust issues?. If im being honest I have no car knowledge and this is one of the reasons for getting a new car. On the car ive secured there was a bit of brown rust type stain on the silver plastic side sills, I wasnt off put at the time but now you start to think where is it coming from?
The Duster is a great car, but the fact is that some are also Rusters. The percentage is completely unknown, do not believe anyone's projections of how many are affected, because nobody knows. All you can say is that it's a fair few if Dacia are making a public statement about it on their website. No manufacturer is going to make a public admission of issues unless there are quite a lot.....it would be commercial suicide.

Furthermore, because nobody has been officially told what the cause of the issue is, nobody knows whether the problem is fixed or not.

Nobody can advise you Blueduster. I think it depends how risk averse you are and how long you intend to keep it. The only advice I could give is check out the commonly rusty areas and inspect them thoroughly before you buy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the comments, what a shame we are talking about rust isdues when there are so many other positives to comment on. I just hope dacia have not cut corners to create such an affordable SUV. I Hope dacia get something sorted because i might walk away, and god knows how many others. Its doin my head because I really want this car, but im not a risk taker, even more so with 12k.

·
Registered
771 Posts
had mine for 14 months now no rust great car go for it. it seems to be mainly white duster's that are affected

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi all,

I have recently put a deposit (£100) to secure a pre reg dacia duster at my local retailer. I'm more than a bit worried about the rust problems I keep hearing about. I dont want to pay 12k for a car that could show such early signs of rust. Its my first new car and want it to be perfect, im thinking of not going through now, am I being too hasty?
Why on earth would you consider buying a car that has even the possibility of being rusty? As stated by others no one knows how many Dusters are affected, so anyone saying only a minority are affected is purely an opinion, I would say from personal experience and talking to others it's actually the majority that are showing signs of rust.

I like my Duster, but the rust and the many other quality control issues identified on the Indian built vehicles make me wish that I has bought something different. If you must buy a Dacia, how about a Romanian built Stepway?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hi all,

I've got the granite Grey Duster and it is 14 months old, no paint issues or anything else. It's the best car I've ever had.... :)

·
Registered
771 Posts
dusty what other quality control issues are there on Indian built dusters? had mine since May13 no problems at all

·
Registered
41 Posts
dusty what other quality control issues are there on Indian built dusters? had mine since May13 no problems at all
There are quite a few, some seem common such as wheel alignment, water leaks and paint issues, others less so. I was the first to post re the missing floor blanking plugs and have also suffered a complete loss of coolant at 2000 miles due to a hose not being correctly fitted.

Most cars will have common faults or weak points but Dusters seem to have more than their fair share, and This is a list of commonly reported problems. It's copied from the Honest John website.

Change in specs randomly by Dacia with no notification (for example they dropped the chrome instrument surrounds on the ambience model, etc).

Change of extra pack items and quality of items (they dropped the alarm from the protection pack with no notification to owners who had ordered the pack/they changed the boot protector from a hard wearing mat to a soft sponge like mat with no notification to owners).

Underneath bungs/grommets are missing from some cars, it's the hole used in the factory to transport the cars along the assembly line. Dacia unable to confirm if they should or should not be bunged up, they tell some owners its for drainage, despite the fact the holes are not at the lowest point, are lipped inwards and are huge. This is already leading to some rust.

Under sealer missing in places, grommets not sealed, rust evident

Rust on numerous Dusters, in various places under the bonnet and inner wings. Rust also found behind seals on rear doors.

Seats losing their stitching or stitching partially missing.

Some owners who specified the protection pack with parking sensors have not received the visual warning lights on the dashboard for the reverse sensors, some have.

Rattles- various interior rattles from the seat belt holder to the steering wheel; steering wheel rattle is due to incorrectly positioned wiring which is in contact with the plastic cover.

Wiper blades are practically useless, Dacia will change them if owners complain.

Owners finding car seat head restraint area material is ripped and damaged. Problem may be caused by head restraint clips being fitted before seat back cover was put on.

Door protectors and wheel arch protectors fitted loose and/or incorrectly, and with visually obvious defects such as bending plastic or poor overlaps.

Drivers seat having lots of play and movement when stationary and locked into position. Some dealers push Dacia into a replacement seat base, others fob off customers.

Some cars pull considerably to the left, there is a clear problem with the rear axle. Dacia don't want tot know despite independent evidence of bad tracking and allignment from new.

Brake pipe union joints failure, handbrake adjustment problems and brakes not lubricated, dealers report it's something which has been missed by the factory. Dacia have put out an unofficial 'blue' recall to dealerships. Some owners claim brake pipe cover shields have been found missing by dealers on some cars.

Rear springs not properly fixed into retaining cup, owners experience heavy knocking from rear.

Catalytic convertor failure, owners get a warning light on the dashboard. Dealers first fix is to reset the light but the probable soon comes back. Catalytic convertors failing/not installed correctly.

Some owners report their cars are over heating in slow / stationary traffic. 30A fuse blows but real culprit is cooling fan that doesnt work. Part is unavailable due to demand. Owners left with courtesy cars.

Door seals failing, mainly due to being installed incorrectly. Owners and passengers getting wet on rainy days. Problems with part supply to repair and replace dodgy seals. Other water ingress issues including water into footwell.

Dusters displaying warning lights and going into limp home mode. Dealers get a number of error codes which Dacia/Renault technical support so far has not responded. Example on Dacia owners forum of Duster been with dealers for 2 months and still they cant work out what's wrong with it.

Paint work from the factory on cars is poor, marina blue inparticular suffers from white specs within paint. Dacia don't want to know. Lacquer top finish is also poor and easily scratches.

Day time running lights fitted as part of extras package have been falling out of recess, clip to hold them in is inadequate.

·
Registered
771 Posts
spoke to 7 duster owners in and around YORK they have said no problems only folk wanting to look at them in carparks and ask questions

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
Personally I would never buy any car under the marque again but that is not only to do with the quality of he Duster I bought but the way the company has dealt with the issue and me.

People will give you their own opinions based on their own experiences but in the end it should be down to your personal choice. You could be one of the lucky ones that do not have anything affected. If you are buying outright you may need to be prepared to have no value in the vehicle in a few years if you change your car regularly, mine was valued at about £8,000 after 8 months and it cost £13,400.
I'm sure they will sort things out eventually and they may even start using galvanised steel to build the cars with in the first place who knows.

Good luck with your decision making and if you do proceed with the Duster I hope you are one of the lucky ones

Posted Via The DaciaForum.co.uk App

·
Registered
41 Posts
spoke to 7 duster owners in and around YORK they have said no problems only folk wanting to look at them in carparks and ask questions
Seven dusters in a row, eight if you include yours with no problems. Quick! buy yourself a lottery ticket, you must be on a lucky streak!

You really just happened upon seven Duster owners in car parks in the York area and engaged them in conversation? They must be selling like hot cakes in York, as in my travels around the roads of Manchester, Dusters are a rare sight and even more so in car parks.

In reality I think when you bought the car you made your choice, paid your money and now won't hear a bad word said against Dusters as it would mean that you made a mistake in buying one. I take a more realistic point of view. Through personal experience, and monitoring the issues of other owners, I believe the Indian built vehicles are built with sub-standard materials and beset by poor quality control problems.

My Duster is a second rate vehicle with a rust problem and I made a mistake in buying it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi all,

I posted this on the rust thread but have copied it here for the benefit of blueduster84.

I took a vehicle for service to a Manchester area Renault/Dacia dealer today and whilst there took the opportunity to look at a new unregistered Duster Laureat in white which was in the showroom.

Rust and bubbling paint was apparent round the child locks of both rear doors. I did not look any further for corrosion as I didn't want it to be obvious what I was doing. For me this says a couple of things:

1. Renault/Dacia are still making and supplying dealers with defective rusty vehicles. I don't know when this Laureat was manufactured but it has a number of small changes making it a 2014 model, so not that long ago. Obviously they still haven't got the manufacturing process right, will they ever?

2. I believe this dealer previously assisted a Duster owner in getting a full refund from Dacia. The dealer therefore knows about the rust issue and should be vigilant when doing a PDI and preparing a vehicle for sale. The fact that they have a new one on sale with obvious rust tells me that they are either incompetent or unscrupulous rogues.

I know some people want to defend Dacia because they have put their trust and money in the brand but it's time to face up to the facts that rust appears to be endemic in the Indian built Duster, and also that the integrity and honesty of Dacia and their dealers is questionable.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts