UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use the term side steps advisedly because they aren't really but how are new owners getting on the the silver "wallpaper" that Dacia have chosen to cover the protruding bit of the sills with.

I've been very careful with mine trying not to catch it with shoes etc but it's already marking just with dirt and crap from normal driving. I try to keep it clean but I can't see it lasting in good nick for long.

We'll have to figure out someway of replacing it with a more robust material.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a Lauréate 1.5 D, Mac. You'll see from the picture which bit I have very badly drawn round in black.

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
What about cleaning it up and having it covered with a strip of clear vinyl? A graphics company could cut and fit a strip without too much difficulty I'd imagine. If it gets marked then you have the option of removing it and sticking a new bit on.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I'm getting a black version and did not notice this on the LHD version but have seen pictures of a black versions with it so not sure if it will be on mine or not too. Good link though thanks GrahamR.

When I saw the topic I thought you meant a side rail with a step.

I'm probably going to get these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130862077222?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

They seem good value and will suit my black duster but what I like about them best is the rubber coating. I know Crome ones can be very skippy in out climate and I would be getting mainly for my two toddlers who will need the added step to try and get in themselves.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm getting a black version and did not notice this on the LHD version but have seen pictures of a black versions with it so not sure if it will be on mine or not too. Good link though thanks GrahamR.

When I saw the topic I thought you meant a side rail with a step.

I'm probably going to get these

http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1438.l2649

They seem good value and will suit my black duster but what I like about them best is the rubber coating. I know Crome ones can be very skippy in out climate and I would be getting mainly for my two toddlers who will need the added step to try and get in themselves.
Post a pic when they're fitted. I like the look of these and would like to see them to help me decide if I want them. Thanks

·
Registered
431 Posts
Sure will Richard,

Possibly will order these this week so hopefully will have them before pick up of the Duster.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I know that this is a dumb question, but will they be supported enough to be actually trodden on?

Are the fix points strong enough? It looks like they attach to the side bar points and I seem to recall there are only two points in the self fitment guide nick posted.

They look damn fine though.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Good question, the blurb on nearly all these side rails say you can jump up and down on them, but can you really believe this? And yes there are only 2 brackets with fixings to hold them on which do look flimsy. But these side rails are all similarly set up so maybe that is the way. However these are quite cheap so how do you know a good decent set from a solid set.

The main reason I am happy to for these is firstly I will never use them so no fear of me snapping them but they really are only for the toddlers to get it and really what damage can they do !?!?!?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Well bit the bullet and ordered the side steps and they arrive in 48hrs. So no complaints on delivery.

Just had a quick look at them and they appear well made and of strong construction. The black foot plate area is actually plastic and not rubber as stated in the description though. But I'm not too bothered.

But with these side steps it is all in the brackets as they take all the weight and I have compared these to a picture of the official Duster crome side rails and they are far superior and stronger which make me more confident that these are made for stepping on. However I will probably not actually know fully until they are fitted.

Anyway pictures of both for comparison.

Duster Side Rails.JPG

Official Duster Side Bars.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Well bit the bullet and ordered the side steps and they arrive in 48hrs. So no complaints on delivery.

Just had a quick look at them and they appear well made and of strong construction. The black foot plate area is actually plastic and not rubber as stated in the description though. But I'm not too bothered.

But with these side steps it is all in the brackets as they take all the weight and I have compared these to a picture of the official Duster crome side rails and they are far superior and stronger which make me more confident that these are made for stepping on. However I will probably not actually know fully until they are fitted.

Anyway pictures of both for comparison.

attachicon.gif
Duster Side Rails.JPG

attachicon.gif
Official Duster Side Bars.JPG
Its been a while since this was posted but how did you get on with the steps? I've been getting complaints from my fairly short wife that getting out can dirty the back of her legs. I was wondering if the steps could avoid this by giving her something to stand on getting out, or are they just likely to make things worse?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Its been a while since this was posted but how did you get on with the steps? I've been getting complaints from my fairly short wife that getting out can dirty the back of her legs. I was wondering if the steps could avoid this by giving her something to stand on getting out, or are they just likely to make things worse?
Hi,

I fitted these for the kids as they are only 2 & 4 and really need the step up to the back seats. They work a treat for the kids however I would caution you on them as use for adults. I would be of the opinion that they may not be strong enough to support an adult. I'm 12 stone and I'd not trust them under my weight for continious use. The brackets I feel are not the problem but the actual underfloor where they would be fitted. The metal of the underfloor I think would not be strong enough for these and the holes for them are not reinforced.

Just my opinion but it is worth a bit more research and may be some professional advise.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts