UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
As the 4x4 Duster comes with a special low first gear I was wondering if it was customary to start off in second as was the case with '50s era US 3/4 ton pickups with a four speed and "granny" first gear. The salesman said no, that you should always start out in first. In the manual however (thanks Stuart) I came upon a page where it says:

"Vehicles with 4x4 (4WD) transmission

On flat level ground, with the vehicle unladen, you are recommended to start in second gear" page 2.7

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
The 'first' gear is far too low to start in normal driving, you'll find yourself having to change almost immediatly you're moving. Follow the book, in normal use 2nd gear is the preferred gear to start off from, if it was a steep hill, or poor conditions then you would think of using 1st.

Reactions: max4merl

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
How are you old man and are you going to the meet still.
Less of the old, else I'll roll my sleeves up and challenge you to a little 'fisty cuffs'

I can't come to the meet, I'm away in Guernsey working for the next few weeks .... first week has been hell :D You'd be OK over here, the speed limit is 35mph at the max, sure your gleaming, chromed-up white charger could just about manage that :lol:

Reactions: Truk

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts
Ah it's going to be so peaceful with you two not able to fight :D

·
Registered
895 Posts
Stuarts Rule of the thumb ! If it can roll back fast then use 1st gear ! This has nothing to do with the rolling back by the way its just a way of thinking Mmmmm first gear is better on the hill ! The Clutch will also like you for it ^_^

as usual just my thoughts

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
As suggested and recommended for the 4x4 duster.....in the duster manual....

"Vehicles with 4x4 (4WD) transmission

On flat level ground, with the vehicle unladen, you are recommended to start in second gear" page 2.7

1st gear is way to short to use in normal driving, and pulling away in normal situations....2nd gear in the 4x4 duster

"feels" like first gear in normal 2 wheel drive petrol cars...

with 4x4 (on the special knob) engaged then first gear would be sensible if the terrain and conditions were appropriate...

but for normal driving etc...

I'd do what the manual suggests.....George has done 9300 miles now following this advice....and drives beautifully

DM x

1 - 11 of 11 Posts