UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Snow forecast for Scotland tomorrow, so enjoy all you Duster owners :D :D :D
So jealous of you Scottish Duster owners. Be sure to report back you lucky people. :D

Sent from my Motorola XOOM using Dacia forum app.

·
Duster Forum Moderator
1,117 Posts
Maybe its time to think about getting my winter tyres on.

·
Duster Forum Moderator
1,117 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Well, first test for my 4x4 in snowy / icy conditions will show if I made the right decision to get my first 4x4 / AWD. Fairly certain that it should cope well as I have had it green-laning once and up steep slippery fields where the auto / 4x4 lock modes proved themselves well capable. :)

The big question is whether I should order winter tyres now given the predictions of a harsh winter or try out the standard all season tyres (Continental Cross Contact LX) with M+S rating. I live in Cumbria and have hills and minor roads to travel on each day. Has anyone found that the standard tyres are good enough in snow or ice?

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
hi green man

check out the "Winter (Snow) tyres" thread in the Duster forum....

lots of good chat...

and videos of the standard tyres coping with nearly 2 feet of snow...

obviously winter tyres are a decision for the individual.....but the thread has some good info on it...

hope this helps

DM x

·
Registered
577 Posts
D&M I'm so jealous. I know you will but drive carefully missus. I cant wait for the snow to hit us. It had better hit us or else. Better go outside and do the winter dance in me pants :)

Although down sarf we are probably going to have to wait until the end of December. The prediction by some eccentric bloke in Hampshire was that heavy snow was going to be Boxing Day onwards with a very long winter from their. I cant wait.

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
i've been up here 10 years now...and we always get some snow in november...or early december....

only had sleet and "solid rain" here yesterday....and no-one has posted "tundra" pics yet....

although Troute should be able to see from his if there is snow on the "tops"...!

:D

·
Registered
40 Posts
hi green man

check out the "Winter (Snow) tyres" thread in the Duster forum....

lots of good chat...

and videos of the standard tyres coping with nearly 2 feet of snow...

obviously winter tyres are a decision for the individual.....but the thread has some good info on it...

hope this helps

DM x
Thanks D&M. Like you said in the other thread, I don't want to spending the best part of £1000 if I can avoid it, and if we were to have a 'normal' winter I would be quite happy to see how they go in a couple of feet of snow. But, unless the long range forecast changes, I think that I should get winter tyres to be prepared for what is predicted to be a very harsh winter. Over the past few winters, it wasn't just the snow but compacted ice for a couple of weeks as well.
Earlier this year, friends and work colleagues did actually laugh at me buying snow chains (£20 in Lidl). When the snow hit in March, they didn't laugh then when I actually managed to get home while some of them had to abandon their cars. I think that I will go for them and look forward to a bit of fun in the snow (and smugness if they laugh again! ^_^ )

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
Thanks D&M. Like you said in the other thread, I don't want to spending the best part of £1000 if I can avoid it, and if we were to have a 'normal' winter I would be quite happy to see how they go in a couple of feet of snow. But, unless the long range forecast changes, I think that I should get winter tyres to be prepared for what is predicted to be a very harsh winter. Over the past few winters, it wasn't just the snow but compacted ice for a couple of weeks as well.
Earlier this year, friends and work colleagues did actually laugh at me buying snow chains (£20 in Lidl). When the snow hit in March, they didn't laugh then when I actually managed to get home while some of them had to abandon their cars. I think that I will go for them and look forward to a bit of fun in the snow (and smugness if they laugh again! ^_^ )
oooooh long term weather forecast.....do you have an external link to that Greens....i'd quite like to bookmark it !!!!

ta DM x

·
Registered
40 Posts
oooooh long term weather forecast.....do you have an external link to that Greens....i'd quite like to bookmark it !!!!

ta DM x
Ahh, I hadn't looked recently, and was basing my comments on the forcasts from a few weeks ago when the media reported it. Having just looked again, the current thinking is that it may be a reasonable one. Maybe I will stick with the all season ones this year.

a few links;

http://uk.weather.com/story/news/november-2013-outlook-20131022

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=longrange;sess=

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_forecast_weather.html

http://www.theweatheroutlook.com/twoforecasts/daily-ultra-long-range.aspx

http://www.theweatheroutlook.com/twoother/twocontent.aspx?type=bg&id=2079

·
Events Committee Member
1,022 Posts
D&M I'm so jealous. I know you will but drive carefully missus. I cant wait for the snow to hit us. It had better hit us or else. Better go outside and do the winter dance in me pants :)

Although down sarf we are probably going to have to wait until the end of December. The prediction by some eccentric bloke in Hampshire was that heavy snow was going to be Boxing Day onwards with a very long winter from their. I cant wait.
Furby you can have all our snow, If I never see any again it will be too soon, cant stand the stuff, passed a gritter on the way home this afternoon 10 degrees and sunny middle of winter -6 no sign of one. Typical Northumberland council!!

Reactions: Gaza
1 - 20 of 30 Posts