UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who's snowed in? More importantly, who'd have found the 4x4 capabilities of a Duster handy? I would, if I had one! I live up a long hill which is nigh on impassable when it's snowed unless you have a 4x4.

·
Formally "2Dusterschris"
363 Posts
Well, although taking delivery of a 4x4 Duster next week, I'm still driving a Panda Cross 4x4 running on Vredestein Quatrac 3 all-season tyres, which are just about as good as winter tyres in my experience.
So, although we have plenty of snow here in Sunderland and I live on a hill my Panda just keeps going with barely a spin of a wheel or a slide. I have been quite amused watching cars climbing the hill past my lounge window this afternoon. A number of them, particularly larger cars on fat summer tyres, have ended up rolling back down the hill and going via an alternative route.
Although 4x4 is handy in ice and snow, without the right tyres it is easy to lose traction. The factory-fit tyres on the Duster seem to be road-biased summer tyres. As soon as they are worn I will be fitting the Quatrac 3s.

·
Premium Member
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That'll be a good discussion topic, tyres. What do those ones cost you per corner?

·
Formally "2Dusterschris"
363 Posts
Well, Quatrac 3 tyres for the Panda cost around £70 each fitted.
I've costed them for the Duster and they're more like £123 fitted.
Winter and all-season tyres rise in price at this time of year, so they could be cheaper in summer.

·
Registered
324 Posts
The duster comes with Mud and Snow tyres. Are they any good? I checked online and the spec is the space in the tread has to be 25% of the surface of the tyre.

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
I run Nokian WR G2's on my Audi just now. They are one of my best upgrades/modification to my car. I normally run 18inch RS6 rims but at the first sign of snow/ice the big tyres give up (245/40/18), couldn't even get the bloomin car out of my drive way, swap over to 16 inch rims (205/50/16) with the winter tyres and I can get all places a 2wd car can with my limited ground clearance. I hope the dusters m+s are of reasonable quality but I have saw some vids of Russian dusters on bf Goodrich tyres.

Tony

·
Formally "2Dusterschris"
363 Posts
The duster comes with Mud and Snow tyres. Are they any good? I checked online and the spec is the space in the tread has to be 25% of the surface of the tyre.
M+S (mud and snow) tyres, this term really only relates to the tread pattern which is designed not to clog up as much as ordinary road tyres.
For better grip in the winter, especially on snow and ice, an all-season or winter tyre bearing the snowflake within a mountain symbol is required. These tyres are made of a compound that retains its flexibility below 7 deg C.
I think it's highly likely that the tyres fitted by the manufacturer to the Duster will not perform particularly well in winter conditions.

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Agreed, the mountain/snowflake symbol and m+s are on the nokians I have. I picked them due to their compound and, as nokian call it, a slush groove. Makes a big difference in the snow and even on sneaky puddles. I was hoping to pick up a set of Access steel rims to use as winter/ off road rims, at least that would stop me wrecking the alloys.

Tony

·
Premium Member
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's one of the beauties of having steel wheels, a set of them will cost next to nothing, the only real outlaw being a second set of tyres. As it's a Renault underneath, once we find out the bolt pattern and PCD, there will likely be a multitude of Renault wheels that will fit

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
I thought the duster was running Nissan stud pattern 5x114.3pcd with a 50mm offset? I'm sure I read that on my online travels. The Grand scenic, megane scenic, Laguna and Meganes around 2008 onwards use that pattern with a 47mm off set. So steelies shouldn't be a problem.
Tony

·
Formally "2Dusterschris"
363 Posts
Here are the wheel dimensions, taken from Mytyres website.

6½ x 16 5 x 114.30 x 66.00 ET: 50.00 5-hole steel wheel (8873)

I'm not entirely sure what it means, don't understand wheel dimension figures.

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Yeah. That's what I thought. 6 1/2 is the wheel width in inches, 5 (the number of bolt holes)x 114.3mm (if you draw a circle that goes through the middle of each bolt hole, this is the diameter of the circle, also referred to as pcd, pitch circle diameter) and finally ET is the offset from middle of the rim to the mating face at the bolts

Does that help?

Tony

·
Premium Member
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
False rumour. I've got winter tyres fitted to my ST220, work amazing in the current snowfall

·
Registered
43 Posts
False rumour. I've got winter tyres fitted to my ST220, work amazing in the current snowfall
my accord has tires... have no idea , never looked
... it would have been extreme to be illegal with winter tires... just a idiot rumour...
in Romania it s the opposite , it s illegal not to have winter tires if you are driving on the snow , ice , black ice , etc... it s legal however to have summer tires in the winter if there is no snow. this a new law (only 3 or 4 years old) and was imposed in order to make people change to winter tires in the snow; this way idiots who think they can get on top of a mountain road on slick summer tires are fined and pushed to change to winter tires and hopefully do not clog the traffic for those prepared for winter. also , snow in ro it s brutal compared to the uk.

·
Formally "2Dusterschris"
363 Posts
Well I'm not sure if it snowed a little last night or if it rained then froze. Anyhow, the side roads and Lidl's car park were very slippery this morning. In 4WD the Duster had plenty of traction but, as I expected, cornering and braking were not brilliant since the standard tyres are not winter or all-season rated.
I have to admit, as the roads were very quiet I induced a couple of slides and found that, despite it being quite a bulky car, it was easy to control.
I don't think it's worth my while having a second set of winter tyres, I don't have anywhere to store them anyway but when the present set are worn I think I will fit my favourite, Vredestein Quatrac 3 all-seasons.

·
Registered
96 Posts
is it true that in the uk it s not legal to have winter tires fitted? just a rumor i heard today.
I think you are supposed to inform your insurance company if you fit winter tyres as it may be classed as a modification and there have been instances of premiums being put up because of this. Read this in Honest John in the Saturday Telegraph motoring section a while ago. It was reading this that put me on to the Duster.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I think you are supposed to inform your insurance company if you fit winter tyres as it may be classed as a modification and there have been instances of premiums being put up because of this. Read this in Honest John in the Saturday Telegraph motoring section a while ago. It was reading this that put me on to the Duster.
sorry but that is the stupidest thing ever.... the insurance to go up because you change all season or summer tires with winter ones. in most countries it s mandatory in winter to have winter tires and I have never heard that as being a modification. insurance companies should be happy because winter tires (when snowing) produce less accidents therefore they have to pay less for claims.
hate the insurance companies.

·
Registered
96 Posts
sorry but that is the stupidest thing ever.... the insurance to go up because you change all season or summer tires with winter ones. in most countries it s mandatory in winter to have winter tires and I have never heard that as being a modification. insurance companies should be happy because winter tires (when snowing) produce less accidents therefore they have to pay less for claims.
hate the insurance companies.
I agree and so did he. I think his advice was if that is the stance your insurance company is taking - change insurance companies as it is a stupid attitude.

I have seen letters since where people are saying that most companies are not classing this as a modification (but some did last year)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts