UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Someone of you may have seen my posts in the new members section about me possibly getting a stepway in blue and I have seen some of you use the solarplexius tints. Are they any good and would you recommend them over a regular tinting job?

Neil

·
Registered
985 Posts
I don't have them, but have decided against them for these reasons:

1. Non custom (stock, brownish?) tint. Choice of tint with film.

2. With any plastic they cannot be optically perfect although should be okay to see through.

3. Inability to have a through flow of air

4. Same price (slightly more expensive) as custom tints.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Haven't fitted mine yet but the people that have on the forum seem VERY happy with them !

I would think the advantages are you can take them out whenever you like and you don't have to inform your insurance about them , you may incur a charge for adding them . Also you don't run the risk of a "bad job" , which a few people on the Hyundai Coupe site had done on theirs, and you don't lose your car for a few hours while the tinting is done.

Had a quick look at fitting mine last night , admitably in the dark , and I didn't find it as easy as the others on here have. Perhaps it will look an easier job in the light on Friday. :) . I need to bend it more I think ! :lol:

Others that have them will no doubt reply and they are the ones that matter

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yep I agree with Truth on this.

I have had loads of cars in my time and film won`t last five minutes (IMO that is)

I guess you have seen my post about fitting solarplex and I found them to take literally minutes to fit. I popped mine on then jumped in the car and drove to my sons to show them off straight away, literally within minutes.

The Brown colour is only when looking out, they look black looking in and it lets passengers have a good clear view out, they tell me it`s like wearing sunglasses lol.

They are virtually unbreakable and you can take them off anytime you like. (When I drive abroad and carry goodies) I like my rear windows blacked out to stop prying eyes. I can pop them on and off relatively easily. and leave the quarter lights and rear window on permanently. I couldn`t do that with the film, and bin bags used to be a real pain to tape up lol.

Mine look like a factory fitted jobby, I will show you a pic if I can looking out, took some today at about 1pm, so you can guess the light outside.

I`m delighted with mine, but I guess it`s up to each individual, I have a roll of tint film here and I am quite handy guy, but I couldn`t get a job I was satisfied with, if you like botched jobs you might think DIY film is good, I didn`t.

It can be sprayed on too, it scratches like the film, only worse. again only IMO.

Maybe others with film or other tints might cast some light on their experiences, I have had cars all my life and this IMO is the best I have ever come across, however, it is only my opinion.

I have posted a pic and you can see the clip at the back, which is not really needed, that stops them sliding about.

I agree the windows cant be opened, but disagree about the optical bit, mine are nice and clear to look through.

How long they will last only time will tell but they are 3mm thick, how thick is the film?

. Hope my contribution helps you decide which way to go.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. The picture of solarplexius looks good but not being able to use the window without removing could be a pain. However I just did a configuration of a stepway on the dacia website and it looks like the laureate comes with tinted windows? Does anyone know if the tint is good or not?

·
Registered
985 Posts
In the interest of balance; DIY films are often rubbish as posted above. Pro film is in a completely different league, no bubbles, rips, tears or optical irregularities and most definitely does not scratch. The majority of fitters guarantee this.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Fair play Widu, I am all for a balanced discussion mate :)
There is a small tint on the Laureate but its hardly noticeable. I have a Laureate and still felt the need for extra tinting

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hi Widu13, and everyone else,

Yeah sorry I should have made it clear. I am only comparing DIY ones. I have never seen a professional after market job nor have I ever come across a company that does it yet So there's no way I can comment on them

1 - 10 of 10 Posts