UK Dacia Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm not convinced my 'whine' is the deisel pump.(...)
Well, I have been told by the mechanic that it should be the AdBlue pump (but I don't think he was very sure). Everybody else across the internet I have read that is the fuel pump. When I made a formal complaint to Renault/Dacia national contact (I showed them my video) their answer refered the "Adblue pump and Diesel Pump functioning system". I think they want to keep this subject as classified as possible, so they don't have to assume it's an issue, otherwise they would have to recall the vehicles for correction and loose a lot of money.

·
Registered
Oct 2013 Sandero Ambiance 1.2
2,257 Posts
Surely it is an high pressure impeller for the AdBlue. Fuel pumps just deliver fuel to the high pressure injection diesel pump mounted on or very close to the engine. Pumps increase flow, centrifugal/impellers increase pressure and have to spin fast. The AdBlue has to deliver pressure not flow. Maybe they are sourced from two or more suppliers and some are more noticeable to some people than others. I say this because noise is very subjective and hard to quantify.

·
Registered
98 Posts
It's hard to say... In your video the whine is not very clear while the engine is running. The video was shot in the front, closer to the engine, while my video was shot closer to the pump. Also, you were pressing the accelerator, which increases the engine sound, but not the pump sound, which seems to be linear (the one you can ear after turning the engine off - but its there all the time, at least in my car) a video shot in the same conditions would be better to compare. By your video, it seems the the whining is there, but its dificult to catch...
I can't hear any prevalent noise above the engine tone, anywhere in the car.
The video shows both idling and at revs, cos I don't drive around at just idle all the time.

·
Registered
98 Posts
https://www.dropbox.com/s/oduj8l4cme60zih/Video%2007-09-2019%2C%2008%2010%2020.mov?dl=0

Video number 2.

Startup, idling all round the interior, and all round the outside.

I can't hear a prevalent pump noise above the engine tone. Certainly not something I have to turn the ICE up to ignore.

As I said, I'm particularly fussy about noises, I hate rattles squeaks, and spent quite some time getting the duster to drive "noise free".

I just don't hear what you're describing.

Compare it with is this one:
https://www.youtube....h/?v=5ja9fgR1Y90

My car does NOT have that noise anyway near as loud.
My car does have 2 noises, you can hear they at the start of the video. The first is clearly the derv pump priming which then timed out, you can then JUST hear another pump running. To my ears it sounds like the same tone as that loud sound in the other video, yet maybe 20 times quieter.
When running, I can't hear either.

In my video , can u?

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have not yet uploaded a video or audio but oddly I can't seem to reach those posted so far either. May be a phone issue. I'll check on desktop later. The idea that it's adblue pressure sounds plausible to me as it is fairly constant and consistant.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have not yet uploaded a video or audio but oddly I can't seem to reach those posted so far either. May be a phone issue. I'll check on desktop later. The idea that it's adblue pressure sounds plausible to me as it is fairly constant and consistant.

Even the YouTube video I linked to?

Can others view my Dropbox links?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just eared a second time. I think you have just the same whining. You're just not so sensitive to it. I can ear it in front along with the engine. When you go to the back ans near the carpet, you clearly ear the whining much louder than the engine. Of course there should also be a difference in the sound because of different smartphones. I guess I must relax, because I get more annoyed than others with it. But one thing I am sure. I can't ear this whining in other cars (diesel+adblue).

...and many thanks for the video ;)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Just eared a second time. I think you have just the same whining. You're just not so sensitive to it. I can ear it in front along with the engine. When you go to the back ans near the carpet, you clearly ear the whining much louder than the engine. Of course there should also be a difference in the sound because of different smartphones. I guess I must relax, because I get more annoyed than others with it. But one thing I am sure. I can't ear this whining in other cars (diesel+adblue).
...and many thanks for the video ;)
It was the YouTube video from previous in the thread

In this video ALL you can hear is the whining noise, even over the engine tone.

My car has NOTHING like that, can hear the tone you say, just and I mean, just.

If I were you, I'd go back to the garage.
I wouldn't accept the noise like that in the YouTube video.

·
Registered
58 Posts
It was the YouTube video from previous in the thread
The noise in that video is horrific and if it were mine it would be fixed or returned immediately. Dropbox video of yours Lightening_fingers sounds just like mine, and I hear nothing that bothers me. I also can't stand creaks and rattles, and the noise of the roof rails on my first Duster really annoyed me on the motorway.

Anyone who has a noise like the YouTube video above should take theirs back to dealer and demand it be sorted, that's not how a car should sound, even one as cheap as the Duster.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have recorded another video that in my opinion is more comparable with the one that lightening_fingers made:

First, in the front of the cockpit, you ear the engine and you hardly can notice the whining. Near the backseat ground you hear the whining very loud. The same thing occurs in lightening_fingers' video. There may be a very small difference in the noise intensity between both cars and a different sensibility to the noise, but I think we can conclude it's a common issue. The fact that some users are more bothered than others has to do with one's sensibility and slight intensity differences in the noise.

About taking the car do the dealer,... been there, done that. It's like talking to a wall. It's the pumps working. Period! Made a formal complaint to Renault/Dacia and it hit the wall the same way. They don't assume it's an issue.

Nevertheless, it would be good to make complaints. Maybe if we make too much noise they feel forced to do something about it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have recorded another video that in my opinion is more comparable with the one that lightening_fingers made:

First, in the front of the cockpit, you ear the engine and you hardly can notice the whining. Near the backseat ground you hear the whining very loud. The same thing occurs in lightening_fingers' video. There may be a very small difference in the noise intensity between both cars and a different sensibility to the noise, but I think we can conclude it's a common issue. The fact that some users are more bothered than others has to do with one's sensibility and slight intensity differences in the noise.

About taking the car do the dealer,... been there, done that. It's like talking to a wall. It's the pumps working. Period! Made a formal complaint to Renault/Dacia and it hit the wall the same way. They don't assume it's an issue.

Nevertheless, it would be good to make complaints. Maybe if we make too much noise they feel forced to do something about it.
Been back out to my car. This noise on my right hand drive Uk vehicle is most prevalent in the rear passengers footwell. To my ears, after about 10 minutes of listening and moving around, I'd say it's coming from the inside rear of the passengers side rear footwell.

From the drivers seat, I can JUST hear this, only if I'm aware of it.

It's not a problem in my car. It's no way near as loud as in some of the videos I have seen on this forum(especially the original YouTube video).
I conclude my car doesn't have the same problem some of you guys are reporting.
Maybe all of the cars are within spec, and it's luck whether you get a noisy duster II or not.

Mine has already had the ADblue tank swapped due to a reoccurring ECU fault.
What with the EGR valve, DPF and the ADblue, I'm hoping these systems remain reliable as the miles pile on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I too have this noise, and I am certain it is the diesel fuel pump in the tank. Lift up the rear seat squab (carefully feeding through the seat belts) and you will see the plastic fuel pump cover on the right hand side. On my car the noise is definitely coming from here.
If you are careful and willing/able, you can lift this plastic cover and you will see the top of the pump in the tank, with its pipe and electrical connections. Start the engine, and feel the pump/pipes.......
Reassemble with care, don't break the cover, and feed the seat belts back through the seat squab holes (fiddly....).

·
Registered
2 Posts
i had a 2017 1.5 diesel 4x4 duster for three years. great car so i exchanged it for a new one with the 'blue' engine. the adblue pump makes a constant whining noise -switching off 5s after engine has stopped. the noise is so irritating (especially when engine switching on/off in traffic) that i took it back to the service part of the dealership this morning (the car is one month old, 1100km). they didn't even take the car in. the mechanic said 'they all do that, it is the adblue pump'.

wish i had kept the old duster -i wouldn't touch the duster with the newer engine. should have test driven one -i just presume i was exchanging like for like. big mistake...

·
Registered
145 Posts
Absolutely agree. Been going on about it to no avail! However! 2 years in I have finally learned to live with it, chiefly because I worked out its mostly in urban traffic and when on a run, out of town, where not needed, it seems the puter turns it off for calm cruising....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just had a call from my dealer, apparently there is a fix for the adblue pump whine. It has been released in France already, but not here yet. However mine is booked in on 30 dec 2020 to get fixed..... happy days.. I hope. So get onto your dealer and get it in ????

21 - 40 of 46 Posts