UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
So, after being inspired by the Edge Speaker fitment thread on here I decide to go ahead and upgrade the Duster's sound system.

I opted for a set of 4 Pioneer 3-way triaxial units: http://www.pioneer-car.eu/eur/products/ts-a1333i

The fronts go in without issue but the rears have a clearance problem that I solved by using some 3mm spacers to mount the speakers. This offsets them just enough so that they didn't push against the back of the door/speaker pod.

I noticed that the stock speakers have a soft rubber/foam sealing ring around the speaker frame so I opted for some closed cell foam tape that I modified and stuck around the frame of each of the Pioneer speekers. When fitted, this creates an airtight seal which helps hugely with bass reproduction.

I also opted for the cheap-as-chips connecters that others have used on here, meaning you can connect the new speakers directly to the original connectors without any wire snipping :)

I fitted everything and went for a 45 minute drive to run through my iPod playlist, and wow! Just unbelievable sound quality from these things - crystal clear vocals/mid-range, crisp trebles and really solid and rounded bass, all from 5" speakers!!

I can highly recomend this mod, though I would say that the Pioneers are a bit 'bright' sounding at first and will need a decent burn-in to round the sound out. They are sounding amazing now though and I can highly recomend them.

In terms of music I tried everything from vocal-heavy house music through to rock, ambient and ballad type stuff (Adele etc.). All are dealt with admirably by the speakers, creating a full and rounded sound.

Now, where do I get a low-profile powered sub...

·
Registered
521 Posts
I wanted components instead of co-axial. So, I went with the Alpine SXE-1350S, but due to the cost, just the front pair. By mounting the tweeters on the sail panel, the angled tweeter surrounds point directly towards the driver and shotgun seats. As higher frequencies are line-of-sight, I can now understand what "raising the sound stage" means. Instead of talk show hosts sounding muddied and booming through the OEM speakers even after lowering the bass and mid-level through MediaNav, it now sounds like I am in the studio with them. This is one of the best improvements I've made to the Duster so far.

·
Registered
521 Posts
What's the sail panel? Do you have a photo of your tweeters on the Duster cabin? Thank you.
I have highlighted in yellow the sail panel portion of the door card. For now, I am running the flex / wire along the door as there is a slight gap at the top for me to feed the speaker wire down to the main speaker in the door. When I get the dealer to approve me drilling three small holes in the sail panel, I will make it a permanent installation. Until then, I can just rip off the double sided tape holding the wire in place. The tweeter bracket angles the tweeter directly towards me and the sound is so sweet. That is, I'm too embarrassed to post a real photo just yet...lol.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks. I test drived mine today and also ordered it. But I didn't test the sound system (it was the base model with aftermarket installation). I would like to have tweeters at ear level and that's a goos place to put them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Daveb73 I am trying to follow your upgrade kit but having trouble finding the items you did to modify and fit the speakers properly. Was wondering if you dont mind including links to the following please?

Many thanks

3mm spacers you used to mount rear speakers?
Closed cell foam tape you used

·
Registered
Oct 2013 Sandero Ambiance 1.2
1,733 Posts
Both are widely available. A spacer is simple a washer of specific depth you will also want to know the bore and outer diameter.

A closed cell foam is simply a foam which does not absorb water or pass air e.g. a draft excluder. An open foam would be used e.g. as an air filter.

Most tapes are closed cell check the specs. It is good speaker enclosure design to isolate the front and rear of the speaker cone.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thx Dave,

Sorry to be a pain and last question I promise. Which connectors did you end up using to avoid wire snipping I ask because I have got the exact same Pioneer speakers as you do.

Thanks again

1 - 11 of 11 Posts