UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Agh I rather foolishly just rolled into a 30 from a 40 on the quietest back road you can imagine, no houses, no life etc, and instead of anchoring on to drop to 30 I thought I'd let it slow down naturally,(im m not sure how slow I got to) and hiding in a field opening what do I see, a police car backed into the gap, holding his radar gun out his window. Whoops, guess I better start using the speed limiter now.
Posted Via The DaciaForum.co.uk App

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
You might get away with it if the car was naturally slowing from 40, depending on area/force they may only be looking for speed merchants, only 28 days to wait and see for a NIP

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Humberside police, they'll do you for 1mph over lol.
The only town that sits a camera bike on main route into Hull on the busiest days or when there's an event on.
To me it says 'welcome to hull' with a stiff two fingered salute.
I thought it had to be received by 14 days? Or have they changed it?
If it is so it was fair and square really, can't blame anyone else.

Sent from my Blade using DaciaForum.co.uk mobile app

·
Registered
136 Posts
Can't remember how long it is before they have to contact you but normally get something in the post within a week. Not that I'd know because I don't speed well apart from that one time lol

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, it was the shock more than anything, think it was prob a good spot for him as its after a blind bend, and he was will hidden.
Usually you can see them from miles away, although I'm normally sat higher up. :lol:

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Think it's 14 days usually, but don't quote me on it. There are a few policemen registered on here, so I'm sure one of them can enlighten us lol

........... can enlighten us lol......with a fine or too..........hehehe :D

ps. in romania the law says that they must prevent so they are not alowed to hide but with the new laser radars this doesnt make much of a diference cos they are very sharp long distance ones so before u could see them ure already hooked :blink: :blink: :blink:

and they are mounted on logan mcv mark 1 so if u visit romania thats a proper dacia spoting sport :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
82 Posts
The NIP must be received within 14 days, however the devil is in the detail. If your car is rented or there is otherwise someone "between" you and the police then this 14 day period can be extended by a 'reasonable ' amount (a few days).

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone, ill just see what turns up, here our post is a bit weird, its like the postman keeps it until there's a few to deliver, next door thinks this too, bank statements etc arrive about half way through the following month etc.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Do you guys have radar detectors? Of course don't help if they have a gun they just turn on when they see you. I was surprised to see that the Medianav has the speed limits of my roads programed in so that a buzzer goes off when you exceed the limit

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts
I think Radar detectors are still illegal here, they used to be.

Getting done in the situation above is maybe harsh but you can't complain about speed traps, after all they can't catch you if you're not speeding.

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
Agh I rather foolishly just rolled into a 30 from a 40 on the quietest back road you can imagine, no houses, no life etc, and instead of anchoring on to drop to 30 I thought I'd let it slow down naturally,(im m not sure how slow I got to) and hiding in a field opening what do I see, a police car backed into the gap, holding his radar gun out his window. Whoops, guess I better start using the speed limiter now.
14 days for a NIP, tolerence is 10% + 2 mph so 35 mph needed to take action in most areas. Also your car speedometer will exaggerate the real speed you are doing, use a sat nav on a straight road and you will find when cars speed is indicated @ say 75 sat nav will confirm real speed of 70. If you are doing 35 - 39 mph you will be offered a speed awareness course instead of the fine and points if you want. Costs more but keeps the licence clean, you can take an awareness course every three years!

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, it would have been between 38 - 33 as when I noticed him it was just above 30, as someone said if I wasn't speeding it wouldn't get me, I know some of the speedos are well out, Ford ka is the worst, it registers 30 and its only doing about 23.
On the other hand if I take the points, 3 points in 16 years ain't bad, and if I consider how many miles and hours spent driven at work and domestically I'd say it was a miracle.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Go for the course every time if it is offered. The cost is about £195 but you keep a clean licence. As has been said that helps your insurance.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I probably would, doubt I'd get the time off work thougg

·
Registered
82 Posts
Regarding radar detectors, they are not illegal but I found that they give loads of error alarms. Best use a satnav with cameras and take your chances with the radar guns. As had been said they only catch you if you are speeding. In most cases the police adhere to the ACPO guidelines of 10%+2mph over the limit before prosecution. Warning some counties don't.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Oops sorry, the sum I quoted was for the Drink Drivers Rehabiliation Course. I'm sure no one on here has needed that !!!

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Aha they change them here too, one way on a dual carriageway its full 70, the other side its 50 so if you are new to the town and don't realise you've had it.
I'm not too fussed either way, just annoyed with myself as the cars got a limiter and it was already set to 30, would have only had to tap R!

Sent from my Blade using DaciaForum.co.uk mobile app

1 - 20 of 65 Posts