UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

As you MAY be aware if you've read a few of my posts, I want to become a commercial pilot, which costs somewhere in the region of £45,000 to train for. Unfortunately, I have no way to get the money (can't borrow from friends, bank or parents), and was wondering if anyone on here had any ideas that would assist me in achieving my dream and raising the funds required?

Thank you

Toby

·
Premium Member
3,413 Posts
Toby I hear it's much cheaper to train in South Africa - I was told this when my son fancied being a helicopter pilot. Maybe contact South African Airways and see if they can offer anything???

Posted Via The DaciaForum.co.uk App

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
SA is quite similar in pricing to the US. Over here, it costs around £120,000 to train (mostly because of fuel costs), but in America, fuel is cheaper than pepsi, so the price is about a third of the cost. I've been offered a place on a course over in the states that cost £37,000, then I'd need a few thousand more for food etc, then type rating at £10,000 etc (but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it). For now, the struggle is just getting the money.

But, thank you for your input :) I shall try with SAA, but if they're anything like our airlines, they'll be really uptight about who they sponsor :/

·
Premium Member
3,413 Posts
Good luck! James abandoned his dream and is now studying Construction (Project Management) - he chose Nottingham because of the ratio of 7 female students for every male!!!!!

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
I know of one flight school student using crowd funding together with appearing at things such as the Edinburgh fringe to raise funds for their ATPL ..... he may even come to our school when he hits his mark.

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Toby....ive PMd you :D :lol:

Silvery silver is the shiniest !
Thank you very much DM :)

I know of one flight school student using crowd funding together with appearing at things such as the Edinburgh fringe to raise funds for their ATPL ..... he may even come to our school when he hits his mark.
I've had a look at crowd funding, but can't find a very efficient way of advertising it, and of getting people to donate, as they don't get anything in return. 'our school'? Which school would that be?

Thank you

T

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hello Maud Fondeo,

James will be happy at Nottingham, but there are NOT 7 girls for every boy, that goes back to the times of the Coal Mines & Textile Mills. The ratio is now around 1:1, BUT, the students are the most fashion conscious in the country and he should find someone classy :) good luck to him!

·
Premium Member
3,413 Posts
Depends on the course Rainbow Trout - alas , not too many girls studying Construction ! But Yes he's loving it and found the girl of his dreams in his Hall of Residence so he's a happy lad. Funnily enough, his girlfriend is studying Fashion Textiles. (Ermmm - you're not her Dad are you? Can see a bit of a family resemblance!!!) (Her Dad is Sicilian.)

·
Premium Member
3,413 Posts
Skrich Don't you DARE ask if it was the moustache that caught my attention!!!!!!
:angry::angry:

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
OMG Skrich is your Dad then!!
Anything's possible. I can't remember much of those days in the Humberstone chapter of the Cosa Nostra.

It's true that Nottingham used to have the reputation as the city with the most attractive girls........ That research cost me a fortune in bus fares.

·
Premium Member
519 Posts

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you @R-head. Do you attend AST? Where can I find the pricing?
Thank you
T

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Attend, I'm an Engineer not a pilot :D! I'll drop you a PM later today with some details :) If you want to know more besides that, drop me a line or even pop up for a visit.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts