UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does using "Hands free" when driving affect MPG?
Does it improve MPG, reduce MPG or make no difference?

·
Registered
756 Posts
If you mean cruise control then yes it does, CC lowers MPG slightly but if you mean Bluetooth then no I suspect the extra current required will not effect the MPG at all

·
Registered
193 Posts
The simple answer is YES using bluetooth to answer a call will DEFINITELY reduce your MPG. But only due to the fact you are using it in the car, if you were sat in your living room and answered the call, this would not effect your MPG. LOL
But seriously as all the others have said, that extra little bit of power needed to use bluetooth would be impossible to calculate.
However you will see a reduction in the battery life of your phone having bluetooth on all the time, I turn mine on/off each time I use the car.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
WHAT ???
What do you mean ? Or are you having a little joke ? As far as I know Hands Free is for the Telephone and it will not use enough electricity to change the MPG .................
Sorry, mean cruise control.
I am that excited at picking up my Stepway after a five month wait I didn't check my query before posting it.

·
Registered
895 Posts
No it will make little difference when you use it ! you will of course be using it on the motorway and its Brilliant (For funeral parlors ) ! I like the way it lulls you into a false sense of security and gives you the impression you can fall asleep behind the wheel !

OH GOD WHAT DID I JUST SAY !!!!!! :blink:

I hate the things to tell the truth ! I have driven across the continent left right north and south like a few other truckers on here

and the last thing i need is to MISS that little movement ie the vehicle slowing down when I am asleep and my foot falls from the gas ! not to work ! Hell its crap !!! you fall asleep at the wheel and your car will keep your speed of 100 KMH until the next bridge !or central reservation barrier If your foot falls away from the gas and you realize the car is going slower Is the way to go !! and its time for a KIP

MY thoughts as always

·
Registered
193 Posts
Stuart. I am truely shock with your statement. To think we have people driving 40ton + rigs on our roads that don't know when to call it a day really scares the poop out of me. When did they stop using tachographs.
And please don't come back with the old "The boss says you have targets to meet"
The primary rule of health and safety at work states that "YOU are responsible for YOUR health and safety and THOSE around you"

·
Registered
895 Posts
Well its a fact of life that the truckers are just like you and me and they are also prone to tiredness which can hit anytime and they are completely controlled today in the cab to the point of GPS and with the Tachograph but it aint going to wake them up during a Blitz Sleep is it ?

I didn't mean I sleep behind the wheel i meant it can happen and if it does it there is no difference in motor noise to jolt you back awake .You should

not get tired Lorryy Drivers on the roads today while the Tacho is so hard to manipulate

Sorry if I shocked you but that was my intention

·
Registered
756 Posts
Back in topic, this is my understanding and experience over 100,000's of miles on motorways, taken from Honest John

"Yes, because it robs you of the sensitivity of control via your right foot. Motorways are surprisingly undulating. If you leave the tripmeter on "instant consumption" you can see the economy dive on an incline if you maintain speed. But if you lift off a little bit and lose maybe 5mph, you might maintain reasonable economy. On a descent the opposite happens. When you could increase speed without burning extra fuel, the cruise control slows the car and economy suffers."

·
Registered
2 Posts
The cruse control will be better at MPG if you are the sort of driver that gets pushed along and if you tend to undulate on the gas pedal. ( That is most drivers?) but as the cruse control only gives enough gas, for as long as needed, for most of us it gives a better MPG. I find it (Now I have got used to it) a great relaxer. I do not have to keep an eye on the speed. I do not have to keep an 'eye' on my right foot. I cannot accidently speed . it means I only have to concentrate on the driving of others and myself as far as safety is concerned. I did a trip to Peterbourgh and my Stepway did an average of 80mpg . The journey of 80 miles took 1.5 hours. Cruse control at all opportunities. I was very pleased with that.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I'm afraid Gary you are incorrect on this point, CC cannot anticipate traffic, overtaking, slowing down etc thus making it less efficient, there is a raft of evidence out there to back this up.

BUT it's all irrelevant to the individual driver, I personally use CC where possible on motorways due to the amount of miles i drive although as Stuart says if you are tired then its not a good thing to have switched on but has saved me from countless tickets for "keeping up" with the traffic and speeding

1 - 12 of 12 Posts